PDA

View Full Version : floating leaders and flys.

Alex
September 28th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Have dabbled with a bit of fly fishing this month,
I have been having trouble getting the fly to float.
I am using a 7# floating line,this floats perfectly. I dip the fly into some
floatant but on more occasions than not, it sinks.
Do I need to treat the leader or is it down to technique, as on several
occasions when IMO I got the cast perfect it did float.

Alex.

Alex
September 28th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Hi Alex, what floatant are you using, many need to dry after application,
often achieved by deliberate false casting. HTH, Nig, Edinburgh, Scotland
"Alex" > wrote in message
> Have dabbled with a bit of fly fishing this month,
> I have been having trouble getting the fly to float.
> I am using a 7# floating line,this floats perfectly. I dip the fly into
some
> floatant but on more occasions than not, it sinks.
> Do I need to treat the leader or is it down to technique, as on several
> occasions when IMO I got the cast perfect it did float.
>
> Alex.

Alex
September 28th, 2003, 11:56 PM
"Alex" > wrote in message
> Hi Alex, what floatant are you using, many need to dry after application,
> often achieved by deliberate false casting. HTH, Nig, Edinburgh, Scotland
Same name! Snap
The floatant I am using is "Hardy floatant" dry fly dressing.
Just says to rub it into the hackles and body of fly.

Alex.

Alex
September 30th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Hardys works, so I guess its just a little false casting to dry it. On the
contrary to greasing up the leader to float, I always use a sinkant paste on
it, as I fish stillwaters, ( lochs/lakes ), and I always think that if I can
see it ,so can the Trout. I sure there are many more opinions tho', Tight
lines, Alex
"Alex" > wrote in message

> "Alex" > wrote in message
> > Hi Alex, what floatant are you using, many need to dry after
application,
> > often achieved by deliberate false casting. HTH, Nig, Edinburgh,
Scotland
> Same name! Snap
> The floatant I am using is "Hardy floatant" dry fly dressing.
> Just says to rub it into the hackles and body of fly.
>
> Alex.

Alex
October 1st, 2003, 05:40 AM
"Alex" > wrote in message
> Hardys works, so I guess its just a little false casting to dry it.
Thanks for the help

Alex.