PDA

View Full Version : Asda "English River Trout"

Nogood Boyo
October 11th, 2003, 07:44 PM
What do you think of Asda selling farmed rainbows as "English River
Trout"..? (The small print confirms that they are farmed in the UK.)

How can a Pacific salmon species, which reproduces naturally in the UK
only in the Derbyshire Wye (so they used to say) and which in this case
has been produced artificially in a fish farm and will therefore never
have seen a river, be described as an "English River Trout"..?

If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.

--
Nogood Boyo

Alex
October 11th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Interesting. I haven't seen them, but I would have thought its actionable
under the trade descriptions act 1968, the control of misleading
advertisement regulations 1988 ( amended 2000 ) and the ASA to name but a
few, as I am sure Rainbows are not indigenous to anywhere in the British
Isles, therefore its a lie.
Nice to see someone posting in this NG tho ! :-)

Nig, Scotland
"Nogood Boyo" > wrote in message

> What do you think of Asda selling farmed rainbows as "English River
> Trout"..? (The small print confirms that they are farmed in the UK.)
>
> How can a Pacific salmon species, which reproduces naturally in the UK
> only in the Derbyshire Wye (so they used to say) and which in this case
> has been produced artificially in a fish farm and will therefore never
> have seen a river, be described as an "English River Trout"..?
>
> If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
> whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
> response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.
>
> --
> Nogood Boyo

roddytoo
October 11th, 2003, 10:02 PM
"Nogood Boyo" > wrote in message

> What do you think of Asda selling farmed rainbows as "English River
> Trout"..? (The small print confirms that they are farmed in the UK.)
>
> How can a Pacific salmon species, which reproduces naturally in the UK
> only in the Derbyshire Wye (so they used to say) and which in this case
> has been produced artificially in a fish farm and will therefore never
> have seen a river, be described as an "English River Trout"..?
>
> If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
> whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
> response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.
>
> --
> Nogood Boyo
Some farms have a through flow of river water, would this qualify the fish
as river trout?

Nogood Boyo
October 11th, 2003, 10:33 PM
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 at 22:02:24 in uk.rec.fishing.game roddytoo wrote:
>Some farms have a through flow of river water, would this qualify the
>fish as river trout?

Would that make it a "river trout" as far as you are concerned..? I
doubt it...

--
Nogood Boyo

roddytoo
October 12th, 2003, 08:22 AM
"Nogood Boyo" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 at 22:02:24 in uk.rec.fishing.game roddytoo wrote:
> >Some farms have a through flow of river water, would this qualify the
> >fish as river trout?
>
> Would that make it a "river trout" as far as you are concerned..? I
> doubt it...
>
> --
> Nogood Boyo

No, but legally, as it has been reared in river water......some bast ooops,
barrister could make a lot of money on this case.

W. D. Grey
October 15th, 2003, 09:35 PM
In article >, Nogood Boyo
> writes
>If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
>whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
>response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.

Very observant and well done Phil. Surely Trade Descriptions Act comes
into play!

ASDA advertise as being the company that knocks back prices . Bread had
just gone up in price by 8%. Lying B******S.

That's about 6.3 % above the current rate of inflation.

Though to be fair I think the price of Wedding Cake has come down quite
a bit :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
October 15th, 2003, 09:38 PM
In article >, roddytoo
> writes
>Some farms have a through flow of river water, would this qualify the fish
>as river trout?

A very big "NO"

Once the water has been extracted from a river it ceases to be a river.

A local fishery had to pay extraction fees for having a brook run in one
end of his lake and then leaving at the other end. When it was in the
lake it was no longer a river.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
October 15th, 2003, 09:42 PM
In article >, roddytoo
> writes
>No, but legally, as it has been reared in river water......some bast ooops,
>barrister could make a lot of money on this case.

It would make much more honest advertising if ASDA just said what the
Rainbows really are - British bred Rainbow Trout. Judging by some
rivers, their advert might well put me off!
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

roddytoo
October 15th, 2003, 10:31 PM
"W. D. Grey" > wrote in message
> In article >, Nogood Boyo
> > writes
> >If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
> >whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
> >response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.
>
> Very observant and well done Phil. Surely Trade Descriptions Act comes
> into play!
>
> ASDA advertise as being the company that knocks back prices . Bread had
> just gone up in price by 8%. Lying B******S.
>
> That's about 6.3 % above the current rate of inflation.
>
> Though to be fair I think the price of Wedding Cake has come down quite
> a bit :-)
> --
> Bill Grey
> http://www.billboy.co.uk
Hmm, not much demand for wedding cake these days.

W. D. Grey
October 16th, 2003, 09:20 PM
In article >, roddytoo
> writes
>Hmm, not much demand for wedding cake these days.

Quite !
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

pmf
October 18th, 2003, 10:15 PM
They keep rainbows in sea cages over here (Ireland) and Supermarkets sell it
as Sea trout !!

"Nogood Boyo" > wrote in message

> What do you think of Asda selling farmed rainbows as "English River
> Trout"..? (The small print confirms that they are farmed in the UK.)
>
> How can a Pacific salmon species, which reproduces naturally in the UK
> only in the Derbyshire Wye (so they used to say) and which in this case
> has been produced artificially in a fish farm and will therefore never
> have seen a river, be described as an "English River Trout"..?
>
> If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
> whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
> response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.
>
> --
> Nogood Boyo

Nogood Boyo
October 18th, 2003, 11:02 PM
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 at 22:15:32 in uk.rec.fishing.game pmf wrote:
>They keep rainbows in sea cages over here (Ireland) and Supermarkets sell it
>as Sea trout !!

gawd... that's even worse..! sea trout have to be worth more than
"English river trout"..!

--
Nogood Boyo

roddytoo
October 19th, 2003, 02:42 PM
"Nogood Boyo" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 at 22:15:32 in uk.rec.fishing.game pmf wrote:
> >They keep rainbows in sea cages over here (Ireland) and Supermarkets sell
it
> >as Sea trout !!
> >
> gawd... that's even worse..! sea trout have to be worth more than
> "English river trout"..!
>
> --
> Nogood Boyo

LOL, marketeers as crafty as a barrow load of monkeys! Trout from the sea =
sea trout!
Who would pay a lawyer to fight it and lose?

W. D. Grey
October 19th, 2003, 06:30 PM
In article >, roddytoo
> writes
>LOL, marketeers as crafty as a barrow load of monkeys! Trout from the sea =
>sea trout!
>Who would pay a lawyer to fight it and lose?

Any Lawyer would be skating on thin ice with this definition. The fish
are two entirely different species.

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Mark Elliott
October 20th, 2003, 07:32 PM
I saw some nice rainbows on a french market stall labelled "Truite de Mer".
Would they qualify as french sea trout?

Anyway, has anyone noticed the smoked salmon labelling:

Scottish smoked salmon (Nowegian salmon smoked in scotland)
Smoked Scottish salmon (Scottish salmon smoked somewhere else)
Smoked salmon from Scotland (Nowegain salmon, smoked in Sweden, and landed
at a Scottish port en route to London)

and so on...

Mark

"W. D. Grey" > wrote in message
> In article >, roddytoo
> > writes
> >LOL, marketeers as crafty as a barrow load of monkeys! Trout from the sea
=
> >sea trout!
> >Who would pay a lawyer to fight it and lose?
>
> Any Lawyer would be skating on thin ice with this definition. The fish
> are two entirely different species.
>

> --
> Bill Grey
> http://www.billboy.co.uk

Peter Austin
October 23rd, 2003, 12:44 PM
Re salmon labelling

A few years ago a NY retailer was offering "Scottish smoked salmon" at a
cheap price. Turned out to be pacific salmon, smoked in NY "in the Scottish
style" ie cold smoked!

Back to Rainbow trout, as an ex fish farmer, we used to steer clear of river
trout as a term, because of the muddy connotations. Trout fed with real or
artificial shrimp extract, were often sold by retailers as salmon trout,
because of the pink flesh colour. This was cosidered acceptable as salmon
trout is not a genuine term , more a fishmonger's poetic licence - remember
rock salmon (Dogfish)?

"Mark Elliott" > wrote in message
.. .
> I saw some nice rainbows on a french market stall labelled "Truite de
Mer".
> Would they qualify as french sea trout?
>
> Anyway, has anyone noticed the smoked salmon labelling:
>
> Scottish smoked salmon (Nowegian salmon smoked in scotland)
> Smoked Scottish salmon (Scottish salmon smoked somewhere else)
> Smoked salmon from Scotland (Nowegain salmon, smoked in Sweden, and landed
> at a Scottish port en route to London)
>
> and so on...
>

> Mark
>
> "W. D. Grey" > wrote in message
> > In article >, roddytoo
> > > writes
> > >LOL, marketeers as crafty as a barrow load of monkeys! Trout from the
sea
> =
> > >sea trout!
> > >Who would pay a lawyer to fight it and lose?
> >
> > Any Lawyer would be skating on thin ice with this definition. The fish
> > are two entirely different species.
> >

> > --
> > Bill Grey
> > http://www.billboy.co.uk

Nogood Boyo
November 21st, 2003, 07:11 PM
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 at 19:44:20 in uk.rec.fishing.game Nogood Boyo
wrote:

>What do you think of Asda selling farmed rainbows as "English River
>Trout"..? (The small print confirms that they are farmed in the UK.)
>
>How can a Pacific salmon species, which reproduces naturally in the UK
>only in the Derbyshire Wye (so they used to say) and which in this case
>has been produced artificially in a fish farm and will therefore never
>have seen a river, be described as an "English River Trout"..?
>
>If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
>whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
>response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.

The response received from Trading Standards is as follows:

"The response from our colleagues in Leeds, who received
communication from the suppliers of ASDA regarding the enquiry.

They have stated that they use the fast flowing waters of the
River Test, Kennet and the Itchen in their growing process. That
is achieved by diverting water from these rivers, through a
growing operation and back into the main river channels, 35
million gallons pass through per day. So enabling the trout to
display their natural process of swimming against a current.
Fish grown are rainbow trout, however they are grown in river
water whose location is in England. Brown trout can be found in
rivers however rainbow trout are now more abundant than brown
through out the UK, assisted by the restocking of rainbow trout
over the last 100 years.

The supplier goes on to state that it was not their intention to
cause confusion or hide the type of trout, but to emphasis the
point of the difference of English Trout grown for ASDA using
English River water.

West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service have forwarded our
concerns regarding the present labelling of the English River
Trout, to ASDA by stating that purchasers may believe that the
trout have been taken from a river. And should they fail to see
the indication ?Farmed in the UK?, the assumption will be that
these trout are wild fish, caught from the river. Even if the
indication is seen ?Farmed in the UK? together with the
description ?English River Trout? they will assume that there is
some method by which trout can be farmed in a river, e.g. by the
use of cages or nets. Clearly these assumptions would be wrong,
and the labels are likely to mislead.

The action taken during this enquiry, has been to advise ASDA,
by the use of the Home Authority Principle. The advice given by
our colleagues in West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service was
to amend the labelling, to address the above concerns."

--
Nogood Boyo

W. D. Grey
November 21st, 2003, 10:28 PM
In article >, Nogood Boyo
> writes
>The action taken during this enquiry, has been to advise ASDA,
> by the use of the Home Authority Principle. The advice given by
> our colleagues in West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service was
> to amend the labelling, to address the above concerns."

Well done Nogood Boyo, you made them sit up and take notice.

The other day ASDA were advertising their knocking back of prices, at
the same time they put the price of bread up by about 8%....:-(
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

WPCHURCHILL
November 28th, 2003, 12:25 AM
You Can't get better than WELSH BROWN TROUT!