PDA

View Full Version : Barometric pressure and bassing

SHRED
September 29th, 2003, 01:44 PM
The last 2 Sundays the bass fishing has been off.
Both Sundays the barometric pressure was rising during my fishing hours.

Questions:
Is it true that barometric pressure is a big factor in a bass's urge to
feed?

How much of a rise does it take?

RichZ
September 29th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Shred wrote:
> Is it true that barometric pressure is a big factor in a bass's urge to
> feed?

The effects of the actual pressure change are negligible. A fish could
adjust to a pressure change of 10 millibars (a much larger change than any
normal weather pattern can produce) by changing depth less than one foot!

BUT Barometric pressure has a tremendous effect on the bottom of the food
chain (eg, plankton, small invertebrates, etc.). The subsequent inactivity
works its way up the food chain. With bass, usually the second day
following the passage of a front is when it really gets bad.

Obviously, given my druthers, I'd fish the falling pressure as a front
approached. But if I must fish post front, I'd rather bee on the heels of a
front when the change seems most sever to us, than a day later while the
pressure is (usually) still rising, albeit more slowly, or has peaked out
and is holding high and steady.

Interestingly, in the late fall (post turnover) I have far more success
fishing under cold front conditions regardless of the barometer, than a
fishing on a warming trend.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Andrew Kidd
September 30th, 2003, 12:07 AM
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> Shred wrote:
> > Is it true that barometric pressure is a big factor in a bass's urge to
> > feed?

<SNIP>

> Interestingly, in the late fall (post turnover) I have far more success
> fishing under cold front conditions regardless of the barometer, than a
> fishing on a warming trend.

I've experienced exactly the same phenomenon during the fall. Approaching
and occuring cold fronts are certainly a welcome event in my fall
fishing!... (until it gets to cold for me to go out!)
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

John Kerr
September 30th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Try different patterns for different weather conditions....you will
usually be able to establish a pattern that gets some fish in the boat
in any type weather....good luck!

SHRED
October 1st, 2003, 05:50 AM
Thanks John.
Are you the Ramona/Henry's/Mike Long/Lake Mead WON Champ ....John Kerr?

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Try different patterns for different weather conditions....you will
> usually be able to establish a pattern that gets some fish in the boat
> in any type weather....good luck!

Dwayne E. Cooper
October 1st, 2003, 11:30 AM
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:07:55 GMT, "Andrew Kidd"
> wrote:

>I've experienced exactly the same phenomenon during the fall. Approaching
>and occuring cold fronts are certainly a welcome event in my fall
>fishing!... (until it gets to cold for me to go out!)

That's bc them bass believe ol' man winter is just around the
corner and if they don't get their feedbag in now...they might have a
heckuva long wait!

My very best days in the fall have come from cold fronts...

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN

Dan
October 1st, 2003, 08:27 PM
As Rich said earlier, the actual "pressure" is not the culpret. A bass
diving one foot would experience a more severe shange than anything the
weather can do.
So the "pressure change affects their swim bladder" BS is another Bass myth.
However, what we nview as presure change is also accompanied by changes in
light and UV penetration due to clouds, & humidity. No secret the bass go on
a feed early am, late pm and anytime the clouds roll in.
The best explaination I ever heard as to why the fishing gets hard after a
cold front? They are full! Fish have been feeding heavily and are now
kicking back and digesting.

Dan W.

"SHRED" > wrote in message
> The last 2 Sundays the bass fishing has been off.
> Both Sundays the barometric pressure was rising during my fishing hours.
>
> Questions:
> Is it true that barometric pressure is a big factor in a bass's urge to
> feed?
>
> How much of a rise does it take?

Josh
October 1st, 2003, 10:45 PM
I'm not totally sure I agree with ya Dan. . . but lol lol I don't know why !
I guess it's because I've been on the water and seen the temp start to dip
and the winds start to roll in as a front comes in and the fish shut off
like someone hits a switch. Sometimes its a matter of minutes before when
the fish were biting like crazy. Hard to believe they all get full at the
same time. And often that's without a perceptible change in light etc. I
don't know what does or doesn't turn them off i guess. I'm just not sure
barometric pressure doesn't have something to do with it. Would like to hear
back from Dan and the rest of the group about this interesting subject
though.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

John Kerr
October 2nd, 2003, 01:05 AM
Re: Barometric pressure and bassing

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 9:50pm (CDT-2)
From: (SHRED)
Thanks John.
Are you the Ramona/Henry's/Mike Long/Lake Mead WON Champ ....John Kerr?
====
No, but being his dad has lots of neat "perks" <g>! As long as I let him
think he's the better fisheman, he gives me some top of the line
equiptment...courtesy of the sponsers:).
JK

Dan
October 6th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Let me lay out the classic front conditions.
Clouds start to gather, (Pre-front). Cloudy with or without rain, (front)
Clear sunny skies, (post-front). Frequently calm, clear skies. The "perfect"
go- fishing day. Not!
When the clouds come and the storm hits the bite is usually good. It is the
pretty day afterwards that the bite stinks.

Usually, the storm rolling in brings wind and the bite can get really good.
If that is when you are saying that the fish stop, it sounds like they moved
or possibly they were hitting a worm and they switched to a reaction bite
and you didn't.

If on the other hand the wind came with high skies and the storm was
yesterday, then ya, the bite stopped with the high clear skies, although the
time to be fishing was earlier when the clouds were in.

Dan W.

"Josh" > wrote in message
> I'm not totally sure I agree with ya Dan. . . but lol lol I don't know why
!
> I guess it's because I've been on the water and seen the temp start to dip
> and the winds start to roll in as a front comes in and the fish shut off
> like someone hits a switch. Sometimes its a matter of minutes before when
> the fish were biting like crazy. Hard to believe they all get full at the
> same time. And often that's without a perceptible change in light etc. I
> don't know what does or doesn't turn them off i guess. I'm just not sure
> barometric pressure doesn't have something to do with it. Would like to
hear
> back from Dan and the rest of the group about this interesting subject
> though.
>
> --
> God Bless America
>
> Josh The Bad Bear

G. M. Zimmermann
October 10th, 2003, 01:42 AM
I always caught my best and most smallmouths on warm, muggy june/july
afternoons when the clouds and the thunder was rolling in out in the distance.
The last 15 minutes before a storm hits can be incredible!!

-Zimmy

Craig
October 10th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Totally agree, but do you know why? . . . . I guess I can answer that one
for you. No, don't care, as long as it works for me! :-)

--
Craig Baugher

Living in The United States, and Loving It!
Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!