PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Western ireland Sept 2004

Aquazur-Dra
November 1st, 2003, 02:38 PM
Trevor Greene > wrote in message

> Lets do September again - there is bound to be rain next year???
>
> Gathering - 5 to 7 days Salmon Fishing ( River Moy ) Western Ireland
Spate rivers - W/C 6th September !!

> > any uk.rec.fishing.game reader - Welcome to join us !!

* TREVOR - - IF YOU CAN GUARANTE RAIN would want to book 3 Bed cottage on
River Easky!!

So far Look like its

a) Trevor Greene

b) Richard Hawes

c) Me

1) B&B - 30 Euros per person night

2) Fast ferry 140 -210 [4 ] people

3 Fuel costs £ 90

4) Permits 15 to 60 Eros per day ( A few Spate rivers provide "free
fishing )

PS Budget Cost - per person around £350 - 450 [ excluding food /beer for
5 -7 days ]

> Trevor Greene > wrote in message
> Lets do September again - there is bound to be rain next year???
>
> Trevor
>

> "Aquazur-Dra" > wrote in message
> >
> > W. D. Grey > wrote in message
> > > In article >, Aquazur-Dra
> > >
> > > So that's next years Gathering up the shute :-)
> >
> > > Bill Grey
> > > http://www.billboy.co.uk
> >
> > a) Gathering - New Zealand - Southern Island - 2nd Week April !!
> >
> > b) Gathering - River Twyi - / River Blackwayter - Ireland Last week
> June
> > /Ist week July ?
> >
> > b) Gathering - River Moy 2nd Week in September !!
> >
> > any uk.rec.fishing.game reader - Welcome to join me !!

Derek.Moody
November 2nd, 2003, 01:24 PM
In article >, Aquazur-Dra
> wrote:
>

> Trevor Greene > wrote in message
>
> > Lets do September again - there is bound to be rain next year???

> * TREVOR - - IF YOU CAN GUARANTE RAIN would want to book 3 Bed cottage on
> River Easky!!

Ha!

As it happens I was in the west of Ireland at the same time as you - but in
the Bantry area.

[ David knew I was going - we discussed it when we were fishing the shrunken
Moy at Easter - google for the report here at the time. ]

So that's -two- whole weeks in Ireland without rain in one year, the climate
really is changing.

I didn't report my trip here as there wasn't much game fishing done but
there might have been.

I went with Colin, an regular fishing chum. We planned from the start to be
flexible and the plan paid off. We camped at a site north of Bantry where
we caught pollock on the fly off the rocks that bordered the site. We
caught pollock, mackerel and dogfish spinning and baifishing from various
marks nearby and we took some excellent mullet (up to 6lb 14oz) from others.

We -did- check out the salmon fishing but the rivers were showing bare bones
and dry gravel so we didn't bother - we saw salmon leaping in the estuaries
but no sign of running fish. Just to keep thing on topic here we caught a
few rainbows on sedges at Lough Bofinne, none special.

However had conditions been different we might have fished the spate rivers
all week, or changed to a b&b and fished inland, or even wound up pike and
bream fishing...

....with a few compromises you can cover all those possibilities with just four
or five rods.

The point I'm making is that you will do best if you hedge your bets a
little and at least consider the alternatives should conditions be adverse -
especially in the latter half of the year.

Cheerio,