PDA

View Full Version : Alice or Twaite Shad Fishing

Steve
November 9th, 2003, 04:58 PM
I am interested in having a go for these, does anyone know of any UK rivers
where they are caught.

Also are there any web sites or books that can provide any information on UK
shad.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Andy Lawson
November 10th, 2003, 01:11 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
> I am interested in having a go for these, does anyone know of any UK
rivers
> where they are caught.
>
> Also are there any web sites or books that can provide any information on
UK
> shad.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

I'm fairly sure these species of Shad are an endangered species and
therefore protected, meaning you can't actively target them when fishing.
Unless of course anyone has other information?

I just did a quick search on Google where I found some information on
Special Areas of Conservation being setup in the UK where the Alliss and
Twaite Shad are found in the river systems.

HTH,

Andy

dNOfSPAMn
November 10th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Hi there,
If you are prepared to travel there is good shad fishing in the Waterford
Rivers (Ireland) especially the River Barrow, in the tidal section below
St.Mullins.

David.

"Steve" > wrote in message
> I am interested in having a go for these, does anyone know of any UK
rivers
> where they are caught.
>
> Also are there any web sites or books that can provide any information on
UK
> shad.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

Skipper
November 11th, 2003, 12:39 PM
On a slightly different note, do you happen to know where on the Barrow Pike
can be caught?

I've never had the opportunity to fish for Pike and would love to have a
go - the only problem is that everybody I've spoken to say 'try the Barrow'
but don't know where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Skipper

***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION

***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply

"dNOfSPAMn" > wrote in message
> Hi there,
> If you are prepared to travel there is good shad fishing in the Waterford
> Rivers (Ireland) especially the River Barrow, in the tidal section below
> St.Mullins.
>
> David.
>

> "Steve" > wrote in message
> > I am interested in having a go for these, does anyone know of any UK
> rivers
> > where they are caught.
> >
> > Also are there any web sites or books that can provide any information
on
> UK
> > shad.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Steve

dNOfSPAMn
November 13th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Try anywhere between St Mullins and Monasterevin, lot of water there, you'll
need to spend a couple of days mooching around either side of Carlow. Where
the fish are depends on the flow.
Heard some talk of record perch in the Athy area.

David.

"Skipper" > wrote in message
> On a slightly different note, do you happen to know where on the Barrow
Pike
> can be caught?
>
> I've never had the opportunity to fish for Pike and would love to have a
> go - the only problem is that everybody I've spoken to say 'try the
Barrow'
> but don't know where.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
>
> Skipper
>
> ***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION
>
> ***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply
>

> "dNOfSPAMn" > wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> > If you are prepared to travel there is good shad fishing in the
Waterford
> > Rivers (Ireland) especially the River Barrow, in the tidal section below
> > St.Mullins.
> >
> > David.
> >

> > "Steve" > wrote in message
> > > I am interested in having a go for these, does anyone know of any UK
> > rivers
> > > where they are caught.
> > >
> > > Also are there any web sites or books that can provide any information
> on
> > UK
> > > shad.
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Steve

Jim Murray
November 14th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Heard of 4lb. perch coming from the area but apparently the good swims are
well-kept secrets.....

Jim.

"dNOfSPAMn" > wrote in message
> Try anywhere between St Mullins and Monasterevin, lot of water there,
you'll
> need to spend a couple of days mooching around either side of Carlow.
Where
> the fish are depends on the flow.
> Heard some talk of record perch in the Athy area.
>
> David.
>
> "Skipper" > wrote in message
> > On a slightly different note, do you happen to know where on the Barrow
> Pike
> > can be caught?
> >
> > I've never had the opportunity to fish for Pike and would love to have a
> > go - the only problem is that everybody I've spoken to say 'try the
> Barrow'
> > but don't know where.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Skipper
> >
> > ***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION
> >
> > ***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply
> >

> > "dNOfSPAMn" > wrote in message
> > > Hi there,
> > > If you are prepared to travel there is good shad fishing in the
> Waterford
> > > Rivers (Ireland) especially the River Barrow, in the tidal section
below
> > > St.Mullins.
> > >
> > > David.

> > > rivers

> > on
> > > UK

Skipper
November 18th, 2003, 11:30 AM
David,

Thanks for your reply. As it happens another Wexford man had pointed me at
St Mullins, so I'm off there in the next couple of days to see if I have any
luck with the old Pike.

Thanks again.