PDA

View Full Version : Fish pass

DomDomken
November 27th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Hello all,

Has anybody heard of a fish pass to help fish cross a highway?

What can be done when a highway project cuts a stream, to maintain
connectivity between fish populations?
I'm looking for information (personnal experience, paper references,
links...)about necessary features for such a fish pass to be
effective.

Thanks in advance for any help
regards

Dom.

Sandy
November 28th, 2003, 12:34 AM
DomDomken wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Has anybody heard of a fish pass to help fish cross a highway?
>
> What can be done when a highway project cuts a stream, to maintain
> connectivity between fish populations?
> I'm looking for information (personnal experience, paper references,
> links...)about necessary features for such a fish pass to be
> effective.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
> regards
>
> Dom.

If it crosses a stream aren't they supposed to put in a culvert/bridge to
allow the stream to continue flowing, if they don't it will cause flooding.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

Derek.Moody
November 28th, 2003, 01:05 AM
In article >, DomDomken
> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Has anybody heard of a fish pass to help fish cross a highway?
>
> What can be done when a highway project cuts a stream, to maintain
> connectivity between fish populations?

A highway can only cross a stream by a bridge or a ford. Neither impedes
fish. If there is an associated wier or other obstruction that might need a
fish pass. In some cases a very small stream may be bridged by putting it
into a culvert or even a pipe. Fish don't mind unless there is also a valve
or wier.

If a highway does just block a stream it pretty soon becomes a dam and
unless built as a dam the stream will find it's own way round, through or
over.

Cheerio,

--

Donald L Ferrt
November 28th, 2003, 01:12 AM
(DomDomken) wrote in message >...
> Hello all,
>
> Has anybody heard of a fish pass to help fish cross a highway?
>
> What can be done when a highway project cuts a stream, to maintain
> connectivity between fish populations?
> I'm looking for information (personnal experience, paper references,
> links...)about necessary features for such a fish pass to be
> effective.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
> regards
>
> Dom.

http://www.defenders.org/habitat/highways/new/target/aquatics.html

DomDomken
November 28th, 2003, 10:09 AM
"Sandy" > wrote in message >...
> DomDomken wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Has anybody heard of a fish pass to help fish cross a highway?
> >
> > What can be done when a highway project cuts a stream, to maintain
> > connectivity between fish populations?
> > I'm looking for information (personnal experience, paper references,
> > links...)about necessary features for such a fish pass to be
> > effective.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help
> > regards
> >
> > Dom.
>
> If it crosses a stream aren't they supposed to put in a culvert/bridge to
> allow the stream to continue flowing, if they don't it will cause flooding.
>
> --
> Don`t Worry, Be Happy
>
> Sandy

Yes, of course. The stream will be channeled beneath a VERY wide
landfill. That's why fish transit is uncertain, and needs to be
favoured...
Dom.

Sandy
November 28th, 2003, 12:42 PM
DomDomken wrote:
> "Sandy" > wrote in message
>> DomDomken wrote:
>
> Yes, of course. The stream will be channeled beneath a VERY wide
> landfill. That's why fish transit is uncertain, and needs to be
> favoured...
> Dom.

How did they get permision to land fill a watercourse? Anything toxic in the
landfill will leach into the stream and be carried throughout the system.
Secondly they will have to have settlement lagoons below the site for any
silt and debree to settle in before the stream enters the main watercourse
if they don't the silt could desimate the vertibrates and suffocate the
fish.

I'm not an expert, this is just my opinion.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667
#Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled
ICQ : 41266150

Derek.Moody
November 28th, 2003, 05:41 PM
In article >, Sandy
> wrote:
> DomDomken wrote:
> > "Sandy" > wrote in message
> >> DomDomken wrote:
> >
> > Yes, of course. The stream will be channeled beneath a VERY wide

How wide - more than a kilometer?

If the culvert is very long it will have to be large enough for personnel to
get in and clear any blockages. If it's that big then fish will get through
from time to time. There might be a problem with migratory fish runs in
very low water but low water itself would be the greater problem.

> > landfill. That's why fish transit is uncertain, and needs to be
> > favoured...

> How did they get permision to land fill a watercourse? Anything toxic in the
> landfill will leach into the stream and be carried throughout the system.

I doubt it's that sort of landfill. The rules in Belgium are more or less
the same as those here.

> Secondly they will have to have settlement lagoons below the site for any
> silt and debree to settle in before the stream enters the main watercourse
> if they don't the silt could desimate the vertibrates and suffocate the
> fish.

But this may have to be done for a while at construction time.

Cheerio,

--

Sandy
November 28th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Derek.Moody wrote:
> In article >, Sandy
>> Secondly they will have to have settlement lagoons below the site
>> for any silt and debree to settle in before the stream enters the
>> main watercourse if they don't the silt could desimate the
>> vertibrates and suffocate the fish.
>
> But this may have to be done for a while at construction time.
>
> Cheerio,

Sorry, that's what I meant. I remember when they were constructing one of
the bridges on the M74 they had to do that to stop the silt getting into the
river Clyde.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667
#Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled
ICQ : 41266150

Vendicar Decarian
November 29th, 2003, 12:22 AM
"Sandy" > wrote in message
> How did they get permision to land fill a watercourse? Anything toxic in
the
> landfill will leach into the stream and be carried throughout the system.

It was allowed under the NeoCon presumption that pollution is food.

Sandy
November 29th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Vendicar Decarian wrote:
> "Sandy" > wrote in message
>> How did they get permision to land fill a watercourse? Anything
>> toxic in the landfill will leach into the stream and be carried
>> throughout the system.
>
> It was allowed under the NeoCon presumption that pollution is food.

Yeah, like the one I read the other day about a leaking domestic drinking
water pipe that leaked int a stream and all the bi-valves downstream in the
vicinity of the leak died, the ones above the leak were unaffected (don't
know where I read that). Shows you what chlorine and floride must be doing
to us and the environment.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy