PDA

View Full Version : Fish weight

Tony Allen
November 28th, 2003, 05:22 PM
hi all,
I was out fishing yesterday on the Upper Avon and caught what was my
personal best grayling by a long way. However I had failed to take along
any scales with me. So does anybody know of a "size to weight" ratio table
were I could discover the weight of my catch. It was 16.5 inches in length
from nose to the fork of the tail, but as we all know, size doesn't matter,
I can't brag to my freinds about how long it was, I need to know the weight.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Derek.Moody
November 28th, 2003, 06:21 PM
In article >, Tony Allen
> wrote:
> hi all,
> I was out fishing yesterday on the Upper Avon and caught what was my
> personal best grayling by a long way. However I had failed to take along
> any scales with me. So does anybody know of a "size to weight" ratio table
> were I could discover the weight of my catch. It was 16.5 inches in length
> from nose to the fork of the tail, but as we all know, size doesn't matter,
> I can't brag to my freinds about how long it was, I need to know the weight.
>
> All help will be greatly appreciated.

Probably about 2lb.

A nice fish, best thing you can do is take a set of scales and go catch a
few more for comparison. :-)

Cheerio,

--

Jarmo Hurri
November 28th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Tony> I was out fishing yesterday on the Upper Avon and caught what
Tony> was my personal best grayling by a long way. However I had
Tony> failed to take along any scales with me. So does anybody know of
Tony> a "size to weight" ratio table were I could discover the weight
Tony> of my catch. It was 16.5 inches in length from nose to the fork
Tony> of the tail, but as we all know, size doesn't matter, I can't
Tony> brag to my freinds about how long it was, I need to know the
Tony> weight.

A grayling with length 16.5 inches weighs approximately 600-700 grams
(that's 21-24.5 ounces, I guess). The exact weight depends, among
other things, on the gender of the fish.

Hope that helps in bragging.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Drop your brain when replying, or just
use .

Roger Ohlund
November 28th, 2003, 07:21 PM
"Tony Allen" > wrote in message
> hi all,
> I was out fishing yesterday on the Upper Avon and caught what was my
> personal best grayling by a long way. However I had failed to take along
> any scales with me. So does anybody know of a "size to weight" ratio table
> were I could discover the weight of my catch. It was 16.5 inches in length
> from nose to the fork of the tail, but as we all know, size doesn't
matter,
> I can't brag to my freinds about how long it was, I need to know the
weight.

> All help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tony

Tony,

Since I'm Swedish (and lazy) I'll give you a metric scale that is fairly
accurate:

0,5 kg 34-38 cm
0,6 kg 38-42 cm
0,7 kg 42-44 cm
0,8 kg 44-46 cm
0,9 kg 46-48 cm
1,0 kg 48-50 cm
1,1 kg 50-51 cm
1,2 kg 51-52 cm
1,3 kg 52-53 cm
1,4 kg 53-54 cm
1,5 kg 54-55 cm
1,6 kg 55-56 cm
1,7 kg 56-57 cm
1,8 kg 57-58 cm
1,9 kg 58-59 cm
2,0 kg 59-60 cm

This means the fish would've weighed about 600 -700 grams or 21-24.5 ounces
as Jarmo said in his post.

/ Roger
Daytime engineer
Lifetime flyfisherman
If you feel like it, visit http://biphome.spray.se/angler/ for info on
flyfishing in northern Sweden, Lapland

Derek.Moody
January 5th, 2004, 07:22 AM
In article >, Roger Ohlund
> wrote:

This was posted on 28 Nov in case you're wondering where the thread went.

> "Tony Allen" > wrote in message
> > hi all,
> > I was out fishing yesterday on the Upper Avon and caught what was my
> > personal best grayling by a long way. However I had failed to take along
> > any scales with me. So does anybody know of a "size to weight" ratio table
> > were I could discover the weight of my catch. It was 16.5 inches in length
> > from nose to the fork of the tail, but as we all know, size doesn't
> matter,
> > I can't brag to my freinds about how long it was, I need to know the
> weight.

> Since I'm Swedish (and lazy) I'll give you a metric scale that is fairly
> accurate:
>
> 0,5 kg 34-38 cm
> 0,6 kg 38-42 cm
> 0,7 kg 42-44 cm
> 0,8 kg 44-46 cm
> 0,9 kg 46-48 cm

<snip part of scale>

> This means the fish would've weighed about 600 -700 grams or 21-24.5 ounces

This applies to Frome grayling - not far from the Avon but caveats apply.

Yesterday I happened to have both scale and rule with me when fishing. I
caught about a dozen adult grayling but only measured the two largest*

As it happens the scale was in lb/oz and the rule in cm so there is some
conversion to be done.

1 lb 10 oz 37.5cm
1 lb 8 oz 38cm

Yes, the heavier fish was shorter, which serves to remind us; tables are
merely an aproximation.

The above translate to:
1 lb 10 oz :: 740g 37.5cm :: 14.75"
1 lb 8 oz :: 680g 38 cm :: 15"

The table would have put the heavier in the range 500 - 600g ( 1 lb 2 oz -
1lb 5 oz) and the second 600-700g but at the lower end of the range.

So Frome grayling seem to be better conditioned than the average according
to Roger's table.

Cheerio,

*but you should have seen the one that got away ;-)