PDA

View Full Version : Jig Trailer

September 29th, 2003, 06:26 PM
We all know that to target big fish most will fish a jig and pig or a
jig with a trailer added to it.

Tell me what works best for you or Anglers you know.
What size?
What Style as in real pork or plastic in a classic chunk shape, maybe
a craw?
Then tell me what a real dream Jig trailer would look like then I'll
tell you what I came up with.

gil

Mesa Tackle Supply
244 N. Country Club Dr. suite 206
Mesa, Az. 85201
http://www.fishingworld.com/mesatacklesupply/

Bob La Londe
September 29th, 2003, 11:15 PM
How about holographic projection of a whole school of bait fish with the
biggest fattest and slightly injured one projected right over the hook?

I keep threatening to have the bottom of my hull painted to look like a
school of bait fish.

Seriously? I have no clue. I've only caught one fish this year on a jig.
It was a follow up hit from a fish that had chased a spinner bait to the
boat.

I know that a lot of the guys around here like black craws with orange
tipped claws. Not my number one goto bait, but I've watched Harold Wah boat
some really nice fish with one.

So, when do I the baits I ordered?

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

RichZ
September 29th, 2003, 11:31 PM
wrote:
> Tell me what works best for you or Anglers you know.
> What size?

I probably would want the same trailer in 3 sizes. All would have a small
(as in narrow & short, but still meaty) "chunk" section and two big, thick,
floppy legs that would displace a lot of water. To me the ideal legs would
look like somewhat flattened baseball bats (or thickened beaver tails, if
that makes it more clear). The narrow section where they attach to the body
would act more like a hinge, and that's where most of the flex would take
place.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Andrew Kidd
September 29th, 2003, 11:57 PM
> wrote in message
m...
> We all know that to target big fish most will fish a jig and pig or a
> jig with a trailer added to it.
>
> Tell me what works best for you or Anglers you know.
> What size?
> What Style as in real pork or plastic in a classic chunk shape, maybe
> a craw?
> Then tell me what a real dream Jig trailer would look like then I'll
> tell you what I came up with.

Hey Gil,
I typically use an Uncle Josh no.11 pork trailer. I really like two
tone effects on the trailer, like a blue pork chunk with the back solid
black. It would be nice that it you made a plastic trailer, that it have
some thing to back up the hook slot. The solid back could be a piece of
fabric, or similar material, then co-mold the trailer's plastic right onto
it. With pork, you almost never have to worry about the pork coming off,
until you try to take it off ! :-) With the plastic ones, a good hookset
and tiny obstruction could rip it right off. That's one of the main reason
I don't use them.
Along with the above, I wouldn't mind seeing the traditional trailer
legs replaced with slender "craw" claws and arms, slightly bent inward like
a real craw, but flexible enough to extend slightly on a hop. The body
could be more traditional.

I'd love to see what you come up with.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

September 30th, 2003, 01:41 AM
I like the Zoom super chunks in black/blue

Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton
September 30th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Zoom super chunks in green, and then I spike w/chartreuse, then I add
it to an olive green jig.
--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

> wrote in message
m...
> We all know that to target big fish most will fish a jig and pig or
> jig with a trailer added to it.
>
> Tell me what works best for you or Anglers you know.
> What size?
> What Style as in real pork or plastic in a classic chunk shape,
maybe
> a craw?
> Then tell me what a real dream Jig trailer would look like then I'll
> tell you what I came up with.
>
> gil
>

> Mesa Tackle Supply
> 244 N. Country Club Dr. suite 206
> Mesa, Az. 85201
> http://www.fishingworld.com/mesatacklesupply/

Carlos
September 30th, 2003, 11:45 AM
I like the Zoom Super Chunks for a good all-purpose trailer. But when I am
seriously fishing a jig, I use pork. Uncle Josh #11 on the small side, or
the larger chunks. Black, Black/Blue, somtimes Black/Chart.

Carlos

Craig
September 30th, 2003, 11:57 PM
I like #101, #11, #1 Uncle Josh in black or brown. I also like Unclue Josh
crawdad pork, and Baby Crawdad.

When I use a soft plastic trailer, all I do is take a 4" Crawdad and pinch
the tail off, then use a drop of superglue to hold it in place. Usually I
use green with orange claws or a green, brown,orange mixed color scheme.

--
Craig

Dan
October 1st, 2003, 09:38 PM
For me the basic response is Uncle Josh #11.

However, I would temper that answer with it depending on where I was
fishing. Up on the Delta, I would hace the biggest jig with a Guido Sow bug
on. (Plastic craw 6-7" long.) Other times it might be a big 10" worm or a 3"
one if the water were very clear. Also use double tails, #101, #10, #1 pork,
Plastic pork, brush hogs, Yamamoto Grubs, Lizards..... You get the idea.
Basically the clearer the water, the small a jig I want. If the water is
murky or muddy and the bass are big, I'll go as big as I can. Match the bait
to the conditions.

Dan W

> wrote in message
m...
> We all know that to target big fish most will fish a jig and pig or a
> jig with a trailer added to it.
>
> Tell me what works best for you or Anglers you know.
> What size?
> What Style as in real pork or plastic in a classic chunk shape, maybe
> a craw?
> Then tell me what a real dream Jig trailer would look like then I'll
> tell you what I came up with.
>
> gil
>

> Mesa Tackle Supply
> 244 N. Country Club Dr. suite 206
> Mesa, Az. 85201
> http://www.fishingworld.com/mesatacklesupply/

Dan
October 1st, 2003, 10:11 PM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message ?

> I keep threatening to have the bottom of my hull painted to look like a
> school of bait fish.

We had a clown out here selling that very thing a few years back. Decals to
look like a school of bait on the bottom of your boat. Luckily he stopped
after a year or so. I do know that he sold some to a few.
OK Class. When we are looking up at the surface of the water with the sun
shining down, and a big solid object (boat) comes overhead, what color does
the bottom of the boat look like.....
Now lets not always see the same hands.....

Dan W

October 2nd, 2003, 02:41 AM
Good Responses. I do have one scan of it. just may be too scary for
this group! post or email me if you want to see the pic.

gil

) wrote in message >...
> We all know that to target big fish most will fish a jig and pig or a
> jig with a trailer added to it.
>
> Tell me what works best for you or Anglers you know.
> What size?
> What Style as in real pork or plastic in a classic chunk shape, maybe
> a craw?
> Then tell me what a real dream Jig trailer would look like then I'll
> tell you what I came up with.
>
> gil
>

> Mesa Tackle Supply
> 244 N. Country Club Dr. suite 206
> Mesa, Az. 85201
> http://www.fishingworld.com/mesatacklesupply/

Charles B. Summers
October 2nd, 2003, 03:03 AM
Uhh... Black? Grey??

Even with a white boat, you're gonna be a silhouette. But, what does that
same white boat look like at night? Huh...?

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
link.net...