PDA

View Full Version : Louch Earne

Norman Greenwood
January 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I am planning a trip to the Enniskillen area of Northern/Southern
Ireland around the 2nd
half of May to fish the Earne river system for trout, or other Game
fish as available.
What flies should I be tying?

--
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

Sandy
January 6th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Norman Greenwood wrote:
> I am planning a trip to the Enniskillen area of Northern/Southern
> Ireland around the 2nd
> half of May to fish the Earne river system for trout, or other Game
> fish as available.
> What flies should I be tying?

Have a look here for some hints.

http://www.fishingireland.com/flyfishing.html

http://www.anglingireland.info/flies.html

On a personal note I would take nymphs, buzzers, sedges, mayfly, claret dun,
iron blue dun, big and small bushy dries and a few soft hackle spiders.

The following is my first selection of flies no matter where I go
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/flyindex.html then I work up from there if they
don't work :)

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

Pete
January 6th, 2004, 10:51 PM
"Norman Greenwood" > wrote in message ...
I am planning a trip to the Enniskillen area of Northern/Southern Ireland around the 2nd
half of May to fish the Earne river system for trout, or other Game fish as available.
What flies should I be tying?

--
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

I wouldn't leave home without a well tied Green Peter

Peter Magill
January 7th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Lough Erne is big - fish the western end for trout. Big flies in a big wave - the traditionals can be up to size 8 for a good blow. Check out Frankie McPhillps at http://www.fermanaghcraft.com/frankiemcphillips/home.htm

Frankie knows the Lough, can tell you what and where to fish and his flies are brilliant although very expensive ( you gets what you pays for!)

You should get the Mayfly hatch and the evening spent fishing can be great. Check out Ted Malone's Books for patterns.

You should maybe also think of fishing Lough Melvin where the mayfly will be just starting; the Drowse near Bundoran for salmon (cheap great value fishing) and the Erne estuary at Ballyshannon for sea trout. Contact Jim Dillon at http://ireland.iol.ie/~gillaroo/ for information on these.
If you want more please get back to me

Tight lines.

Trevor
"Norman Greenwood" > wrote in message ...
I am planning a trip to the Enniskillen area of Northern/Southern Ireland around the 2nd
half of May to fish the Earne river system for trout, or other Game fish as available.
What flies should I be tying?

--
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

Peter Magill
January 7th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Details for the River Drowse at http://www.drowessalmonfishery.com/home.htm.

4 Salmon caught on 1st January!

Trevor
"Norman Greenwood" > wrote in message ...
I am planning a trip to the Enniskillen area of Northern/Southern Ireland around the 2nd
half of May to fish the Earne river system for trout, or other Game fish as available.
What flies should I be tying?

--
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

trevor greene
January 7th, 2004, 03:06 AM
The replies in Peter Magill's name should read from Trevor Greene. Sorry mistake in setting up account!

If you need more info contact me not Peter!

Apologies

Trevor
"Norman Greenwood" > wrote in message ...
I am planning a trip to the Enniskillen area of Northern/Southern Ireland around the 2nd
half of May to fish the Earne river system for trout, or other Game fish as available.
What flies should I be tying?

--
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

trevor greene
January 15th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Hi Norman - I am a lazy so and so - lapsed member of FDG - must send some money off sometime!

The colours of Irish flies are far from standardised. Most body dressings in the past were obtained through mixing seal fur of different colours so that many variations exist.

The practice here is that most folk carry a few variations of most of their traditional patterns - e.g golden olive ranges from almost tobacco colour to almost the colour of gorse.

The Green Peter was designed as a top dropper fly by Canon Paddy Cargan if I recall who used to fish Lough Melvin (and the Erne no doubt). It is BUSHY. Hackled down the body I usually pick a shortish hackle for the body - say the size of the gape. The front hackle should be maybe a quarter as big again to keep the fly "gurgling" through the waves when fished on the top dropper. Again some people carry different densities of dressing for fishing on the middle dropper or on the point. For mayfly time many fish the Peter in one of those positions. Body colour I favour is brightish green - about the colour of a young garden pea (yes I know they vary a lot!), but more to the bright than the dark - the red game hackle will darken the colour a fair bit anyway. The colour of the body on the Green Highlander on Frankie McPhillips web page http://www.fermanaghcraft.com/frankiemcphillips/home.htm is pretty close to what I would have as the standard body colour.

Hope this helps

Trevor