PDA

View Full Version : Life Jackets for fly fishing?

Dave P
January 12th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I am looking to a crewsaver type lifejacket that inflates when needed. The
question is do I go for a manual or automatic type? I intend to fish from a
boat but I may want to wade.

Dave

Andy Lawson
January 12th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Wasn't it "Dave P" who asked?

> I am looking to a crewsaver type lifejacket that inflates when needed. The
> question is do I go for a manual or automatic type? I intend to fish from
> boat but I may want to wade.
>
> Dave

I use an automatic buoyancy aid when wading. Automatically inflates when
submerged or may be inflated by pulling a rip cord. The reason I chose an
automatic? Well, the idea being if you should fall into the water and
perhaps being unconscious, the buoyancy aid will (should) inflate and
'right' you so keeping your head above water. That's the theory although,
touch wood (my head), I've not had to test it!

I bought a Wavehopper from Fishtec although there are other makes around. I
can't recommend as to which is the best, it was just my personal preference
and I think the cheapest at the time.

HTH,
--
Andy Lawson

SS
January 12th, 2004, 11:44 PM
risk assement.....

Whats the hazard:
Drowning.

Whats the likelyhood of this happening..

I fall in the water and If i hit my head -
Most Likely..
If i fall from a boat
into a lake - whats the likelyhood of hitting my head...
Slim - but not unlikely
Into a river - More
likely...

If my health is poor and i pass out and fall into the water or
similar would i drown
Most Likely..
If I fall in the water and am unconscious will i drown if my life
jacket doesnt inflate.
Most Probably.
Would I panic, if I fell in the water, and not be able to operate a
manual jacket -
Maybe?

Could I get out of the water and either back into the boat or to dry land if
i fell in - before I got exhausted?
Could I actually get out of the river easily?
Do I fish alone?

To me its a bit of a no brainer - Wading - ABSOLUTELY - automatic i'd say.
From a boat - maybe manual operated.

how much is the cost difference....how much do you value your life?

I'd go automatic..

SS

Derek.Moody
January 13th, 2004, 01:12 AM
In article >, Dave P
> wrote:
> I am looking to a crewsaver type lifejacket that inflates when needed. The
> question is do I go for a manual or automatic type? I intend to fish from a
> boat but I may want to wade.

Automatics revert to manual when the hydrostatic trigger is removed.

It makes sense to be automatic for everything if possible.

I've never found an automatic with the trigger anywhere but at the bottom -
which may dip in the water as you deep-wade and blow up when you don't want
it to. If you find one t'other way up please let us know.

So I suggest you get an automatic but remove the hydrostaic unit when deep
wading.

Cheerio,

--

January 13th, 2004, 09:47 AM
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:12:01 +0000, "Derek.Moody"
> wrote:

>In article >, Dave P
> wrote:
>> I am looking to a crewsaver type lifejacket that inflates when needed. The
>> question is do I go for a manual or automatic type? I intend to fish from a
>> boat but I may want to wade.
>
>Automatics revert to manual when the hydrostatic trigger is removed.
>
>It makes sense to be automatic for everything if possible.
>
>I've never found an automatic with the trigger anywhere but at the bottom -
>which may dip in the water as you deep-wade and blow up when you don't want
>it to. If you find one t'other way up please let us know.
>
>So I suggest you get an automatic but remove the hydrostaic unit when deep
>wading.
>
>Cheerio,

I recall seeing a video of Chris Ogborne fishing in world
championships with an automatic on. Much to his embarassment it
inflated when deep wading

Derek.Moody
January 13th, 2004, 02:07 PM
In article >, Dave P
> wrote:
> I guess the market is biggest for boat users where bright colours are the
> best. The cheapest automatic ones I have found online are £40 but are in a
> red sheaf.
>
> Would this visual cue affect the fishing?

Probably not, it does offend the eye though. Keep looking, mine is a sort
of dirty beige-khaki colour but inflates to livid orange. Ok it -used- to
be a clean beige-khaki but that's history.

It's probably time I checked it over and got it into condition for the new
season.

Cheerio,

--

Dave P
January 13th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the help.

Dave

"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, Dave P
> > wrote:
> > I guess the market is biggest for boat users where bright colours are
the
> > best. The cheapest automatic ones I have found online are £40 but are in
> > red sheaf.
> >
> > Would this visual cue affect the fishing?
>
> Probably not, it does offend the eye though. Keep looking, mine is a sort
> of dirty beige-khaki colour but inflates to livid orange. Ok it -used- to
> be a clean beige-khaki but that's history.
>
> It's probably time I checked it over and got it into condition for the new
> season.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

Andy Lawson
January 13th, 2004, 06:28 PM
"Dave P" > wrote in message
> I guess the market is biggest for boat users where bright colours are the
> best. The cheapest automatic ones I have found online are £40 but are in a
> red sheaf.
>
> Would this visual cue affect the fishing?
>
> Dave

The Wavehopper from Fishtec is green but cost £54.99.

Dave P
January 14th, 2004, 12:41 AM
"SS" > wrote in message
> if you're bothered about colour buy a flipping gert big fat tipped magic
> marker and camouflage it !!
>
> ss

Having worked with safety equipment before colouring kit can cause damage to
the fabric.

Dave

Skipper
January 14th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Unless your budget is limited, always use the more expensive 'automatic'
type lifejacket.

Most automatic lifejackets can be manually inflated if required but should
inflate once submerged for around 5 seconds in 5cm of water (figures vary
depending on manufacturer). Most lifejackets will raise you head clear of
the water and turn you onto you back.

If the worst were to happen and you were rendered unconscious by striking a
rock / edge of boat as you fell, a manual lifejacket would provide you with
no protection.

Do make sure that you get a lifejacket with a sufficient 'Newton' buoyancy
rating - one that's too low for you body weight wouldn't offer sufficient
protection. Also consider purchasing a whistle and light that can be used to
attract help in the event of a disaster (attach these to a zinger - not the
lifejacket)

--

Skipper

***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION

***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply

"Dave P" > wrote in message
> I am looking to a crewsaver type lifejacket that inflates when needed. The
> question is do I go for a manual or automatic type? I intend to fish from
> boat but I may want to wade.
>
> Dave

W. D. Grey
January 18th, 2004, 11:44 PM
In article >,
writes
>I recall seeing a video of Chris Ogborne fishing in world
>championships with an automatic on. Much to his embarassment it
>inflated when deep wading

A club mate was wading the Teifi at Tregaron and somehow stepped into a
VERY deep pool totally submerging him. He was very glad to have his
automatic Life jacket/ inflatable fishing vest on at the time - it saved
his life.

Luckily it happened at the end of our fishing day so he was able to
change into dry clothes fairly quickly (it was in April).
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk