PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Holiday

Andy Lawson
January 29th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Hi,

Myself and SWMBO are considering a holiday in Scotland this year and staying
a few nights at different B&B's. Currently looking around the Fort William
to Inverness to Aviemore area. We're looking to go around the end of June,
probably last the two weeks. Now I can see from maps there are plenty of
lochs, but any specific recommendations on places to visit for Brown Trout
fishing? Can be loch or river but preferably not too much of a walk/climb!
The last time I went out fishing with someone from this NG to a mountain
lake, I nearly pegged out from exhaustion! I'm just not as fit as I use to
be...... :-(

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

--
Andy Lawson

Sandy
February 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
Andy Lawson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Myself and SWMBO are considering a holiday in Scotland this year and
> staying a few nights at different B&B's. Currently looking around the
> Fort William to Inverness to Aviemore area. We're looking to go
> around the end of June, probably last the two weeks. Now I can see
> from maps there are plenty of lochs, but any specific recommendations
> on places to visit for Brown Trout fishing? Can be loch or river but
> preferably not too much of a walk/climb! The last time I went out
> fishing with someone from this NG to a mountain lake, I nearly pegged
> out from exhaustion! I'm just not as fit as I use to be...... :-(
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

Ok! it seems nobody is going to come in on this so I will try my best.
Bearing in mind I haven't fished in most of these areas, I usually fish
farther north and a bit more south, see my website, here are a few places.

Fort William.

Loch Arkaig salmon, sea trout, brown trout, pike and ferrox, fish along the
shoreline and around the feeder burns. The far end is supposed to fish best.
Permit from the Gun Shop in FW.

Loch Lochy brown trout, fishing is free, small fish in the 6-8oz bracket.

River Spean should give an opportunity for brown trout or drive farther
along to Loch Laggan, it has brown trout and big pike.

Fort Augustus.

Glenmrriston Estates, at Invermorriston have a number of lochs as well as
the river Morriston for brown trout, at that time of year though the river
will be pretty low, and the brown trout are few and far between but there
are some big ones to be caught in the deeper pools.

Inverness.

I have only fished the river for salmon but it is a beautiful river to fish
and should offer some good brown trout fishing.

Aviemore.

I have fished the river Spey at Grantown and Kingussie and the brown trout
fishing was very good. You used to be able to get permits from the tackle
shop in Grantown for the various lochs in the area which, I am told, are
very good.

Try and get hold of a copy of Bruce Sandisons' book "The Trout Lochs of
Scotland" loads of information in it.

HTH.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

Dave Lane
February 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
In message >
"Andy Lawson" > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Myself and SWMBO are considering a holiday in Scotland this year and staying
> a few nights at different B&B's. Currently looking around the Fort William
> to Inverness to Aviemore area.

you lucky, lucky sod.....

[snip]
> The last time I went out fishing with someone from this NG to a mountain
> lake, I nearly pegged out from exhaustion! I'm just not as fit as I use to
> be...... :-(

rotfl... so much for "running around the outfield" - I nearly pegged
out from laughing....

good luck..

cheers

dave

--

.... C program run, C program crash, C programmer cry.

Dave Lane
February 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
In message >
"Sandy" > wrote:

> Andy Lawson wrote:
> > Hi,

[snip]

> Ok! it seems nobody is going to come in on this
[snip]

> Loch Lochy brown trout, fishing is free, small fish in the 6-8oz bracket.

Beautiful spot - and down one end of the Loch is a place from where
you can hire boats..

> River Spean should give an opportunity for brown trout or drive farther
> along to Loch Laggan, it has brown trout and big pike.
>
> Fort Augustus.
>
> Glenmrriston Estates, at Invermorriston have a number of lochs as well as
> the river Morriston for brown trout, at that time of year though the river
> will be pretty low, and the brown trout are few and far between but there
> are some big ones to be caught in the deeper pools.

There's a really nice one - Loch Lundie - about 30mins stroll Andy -
you can prolly get tickets in Fort A. - but also from the campsite
at Invergarry - it's called Faichem. Last time I was there, some
years ago, it was just £4 for the day.

cheers

dave
--

.... My hat covers my head.... Just like hair used to!!

Andy Lawson
February 2nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
"Dave Lane" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "Andy Lawson" > wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Myself and SWMBO are considering a holiday in Scotland this year and
staying
> > a few nights at different B&B's. Currently looking around the Fort
William
> > to Inverness to Aviemore area.
>
> you lucky, lucky sod.....

Well..... Maybe...... All depends how much fishing I'm allowed to do!

> [snip]
> > The last time I went out fishing with someone from this NG to a mountain
> > lake, I nearly pegged out from exhaustion! I'm just not as fit as I use
> > be...... :-(
>
> rotfl... so much for "running around the outfield" - I nearly pegged
> out from laughing....

I can still run around the outfield yer sod....... well...... some of the
time, but going oop them thar mountains is another flipping story! :-$

ATB,

Andy

Andy Lawson
February 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
< snip really useful information from Sandy>

Many thanks Sandy. The info is very much appreciated and I'll browse your
web site. We may make a slight change and stay near Aviemore, then down to
Glen Coe and then onto Isle of Mull. We hope to finalise what we REALLY want
this week!

BTW, wasn't it you who put a link up once before on fishing in the Northern
Highlands where you stayed in Bothies?

Regards,
--
Andy Lawson

Andy Lawson
February 2nd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Dave chipped in with some more useful info:
<snip>
> There's a really nice one - Loch Lundie - about 30mins stroll Andy -

Hang on a minute... you said it was only about a 30-45 min walk up that
bloody mountain last time! Hour and a half later with me gasping my last
breaths...... ;-) Mind you.... it was worth every minor heart attack I went
through getting up there, cos once we were up there, it was wonderful. I
still remember that fantastic view! I even caught a couple of trout if I
remember, or was that just the thin air causing delirium? :-)

ATB,

Andy

Alec Powell
February 2nd, 2004, 06:25 PM
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Andy Lawson, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>BTW, wasn't it you who put a link up once before on fishing in the Northern
>Highlands where you stayed in Bothies?
That was the man Andy.
Sandy got me interested in the Attadale trip last year and this year we
are in the final stages of organising a few days hiking/fishing in
Attadale in mid May.
Want to join us?
No? (Well you are a bit unfit I suppose:-)
Maybe we'll stick to the Windrush and Farmoor.
Come on April!
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Andy Lawson
February 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Wasn't it Alec who wrote:

> That was the man Andy.
> Sandy got me interested in the Attadale trip last year and this year we
> are in the final stages of organising a few days hiking/fishing in
> Attadale in mid May.
> Want to join us?

This is my way of getting a compromise with SWMBO to do 'some' fishing in
Scotland. Maybe next time...

> No? (Well you are a bit unfit I suppose:-)

Git!

> Maybe we'll stick to the Windrush and Farmoor.
> Come on April!

Damn right that man! We've got the AGM tonight, so I expect to be sending
out the membership renewal notices next weekend. I'll keep you posted as I
know we have some open places already as some current members are leaving
the area.

BTW..... I wonder if we can tempt that Mr Lane to visit again? Not sure he
really enjoyed himself that much last time? ;-)

--
Andy Lawson

Sandy
February 2nd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Alec Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Andy Lawson, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>> BTW, wasn't it you who put a link up once before on fishing in the
>> Northern Highlands where you stayed in Bothies?
> That was the man Andy.
> Sandy got me interested in the Attadale trip last year and this year
> we are in the final stages of organising a few days hiking/fishing in
> Attadale in mid May.
> Want to join us?
> No? (Well you are a bit unfit I suppose:-)
> Maybe we'll stick to the Windrush and Farmoor.
> Come on April!
> Cheers,
> Alec

That was me alright :) Glad to know you are getting things organised Alec.
my plans are on hold at the moment till I find out if I will be in or out of
work at that time. If all goes well I will probably be fishing Fisherfield,
Flowerdale or I may just go back to Kilmelford I'll just have to wait and
see.

What dates are you coming up, I may even have time to annoy you at Attadale
:)

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667
#Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled
ICQ : 41266150

Alec Powell
February 2nd, 2004, 08:26 PM
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Andy Lawson, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>BTW..... I wonder if we can tempt that Mr Lane to visit again? Not sure
>he really enjoyed himself that much last time? ;-)
Why not? At least he caught a "real" fish rather than those Welsh
tiddlers he's used to!
Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Sandy
February 2nd, 2004, 08:49 PM
Andy Lawson wrote:
> < snip really useful information from Sandy>
>
> Many thanks Sandy. The info is very much appreciated and I'll browse
> your web site. We may make a slight change and stay near Aviemore,
> then down to Glen Coe

Stay at the Kings House Hotel if it isn't outside your budget and fish Loch
Baa and also take SWMBO up the White Corrie ski lift, as long as it is a
clear day and if it is open.

http://freespace.virgin.net/kings.house/

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/glencoe/glencoevillage/index.html

>and then onto Isle of Mull. We hope to finalise
> what we REALLY want this week!

Have a look here for info on fishing on Mull.

http://www.iona-bed-breakfast-mull.com/fishing/fishing_on_mull.htm

http://www.tob302075.freeserve.co.uk/fishing.htm

And don't forget to take a trip over to Iona, unforgettable, as long as it
isn't busy :)

http://www.iona.org.uk/

Duart Castle may be worth a look, part of one of the Bond films was filmed
there.

http://www.duartcastle.com/

and ride on the Mull railway.

http://www.mull.zynet.co.uk/accommodation/craignure.htm

http://www.mullrail.co.uk/railhistory.htm

http://www.tobermory.co.uk/panorama/panorama_railway_craignure.htm

If you are going via Oban have a look at the Kilmelford link on my website
good, affordable fishing on hill lochs that aren't to far from the road and
not too high a climb :)

> BTW, wasn't it you who put a link up once before on fishing in the
> Northern Highlands where you stayed in Bothies?

That was me :)

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667
#Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled
ICQ : 41266150

Alec Powell
February 2nd, 2004, 09:46 PM
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Sandy, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>> BTW, wasn't it you who put a link up once before on fishing in the
>> Northern Highlands where you stayed in Bothies?
>>

>That was me :)
>
>> Regards,
Excuse him Sandy, he knows all this already seeing as how I've already
tried to get him to go with us in May.
Old age I think :-)
Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Dave Lane
February 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
In message >
"Andy Lawson" > wrote:

> Dave chipped in with some more useful info:
> <snip>
> > There's a really nice one - Loch Lundie - about 30mins stroll Andy -
>
> Hang on a minute... you said it was only about a 30-45 min walk up that
> bloody mountain last time!

ooooo, I never did! I told you it would take about an hour, but hadn't
allowed for the possibility of a cardiac arrest.

>Hour and a half later with me gasping my last
> breaths...... ;-) Mind you.... it was worth every minor heart attack I went
> through getting up there, cos once we were up there, it was wonderful. I
> still remember that fantastic view! I even caught a couple of trout if I
> remember, or was that just the thin air causing delirium? :-)

bit of both, I expect.

As for Loch Lundie - it's a gorgeous spot, and is really a gentle stroll
up from the campsite at Faichem, near Invergarry. No hills, but you
will have to manage a couple of big stiles. Ok, I'll admit that I have
a soft spot for this place, as I caught my first wild brown trout here.

good luck

dave

--
Literacy Support Software from:
Xavier Educational Software Ltd

.... I tell them there's no problems...Only Solutions...

Dave Lane
February 3rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
In message >
Alec Powell > wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Andy Lawson, gave forth these words of wisdom:
> >BTW..... I wonder if we can tempt that Mr Lane to visit again? Not sure
> >he really enjoyed himself that much last time? ;-)
> Why not? At least he caught a "real" fish rather than those Welsh
> tiddlers he's used to!

the fishing was great, even if they did sort of throw themselves
ino the net. Alec wouldn;t know a wild fish if it said hello to him.
The food was rubbish.

--

.... Doing my part to preserve order in the universe

Andy Lawson
February 6th, 2004, 08:47 PM
"Sandy" suggested:
> Stay at the Kings House Hotel if it isn't outside your budget and fish
Loch
> Baa and also take SWMBO up the White Corrie ski lift, as long as it is a
> clear day and if it is open.
>
> http://freespace.virgin.net/kings.house/
>
> http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/glencoe/glencoevillage/index.html

I've given Kings House a call and requested a brochure for a bit more info.
Is the suggestion because you've stayed there yourself and highly recommend
it? Looks stunning from the web.

As for Mull, I've booked four nights at the Argyll Arms, Bunessan.

Still deciding for Cairngorms area.

ATB,
--
Andy Lawson

Andy Lawson
February 6th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Wasn't it "Alec Powell" who went to his limited fly selection and tied on
the following:

> Excuse him Sandy, he knows all this already seeing as how I've already
> tried to get him to go with us in May.
> Old age I think :-)
> Alec

Nope...... Not rising to that one!

--
Andy Lawson

Sandy
February 6th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Andy Lawson wrote:
> "Sandy" suggested:
> I've given Kings House a call and requested a brochure for a bit more
> info. Is the suggestion because you've stayed there yourself and
> highly recommend it? Looks stunning from the web.

Haven't stayed there, but have passed it more times than I care to remember
:)

> As for Mull, I've booked four nights at the Argyll Arms, Bunessan.

They do the permits for Loch Assapol salmon, sea trout and brownies.
Bottom of this page

http://www.iona-bed-breakfast-mull.com/fishing/fishing_on_mull.htm

..

> Still deciding for Cairngorms area.

Boat of Garten, stayed on the campsite there, quiet, peacefull and not to
far from Aviemore. Fish the Spey, local lochs or go and see the Osprey. It
is also quite central for touring the area. We were there in a cold spring
or autumn, can't remember which, so it may be more crowded when you go :)

http://www.boatofgarten.com/main.htm

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667
#Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled
ICQ : 41266150

Aquazur-Dra
February 10th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Don't forget to Nightfish the Nethy /Bridge pool for sea trout

My Best Nights fishing yet - 16 in 4 Hours !! *

Plus a 12Lb Salmon on a Leaded Montana Nymph !!

But that was 10 years ago !!!

I am off to New Zealand !!

Enjoy the trip !1

--