PDA

View Full Version : Can one rod cover all lure requirements?

spamless
February 10th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Dear All,

After some years fly fishing I am just getting into lure fishing for
Pike and find the range of rods and lures bewildering. Being a firm
believer in the adage "tackle catches Anglers - not fish", I would
appreciate some assistance with the following;

There is a massive range of lure weights, most pike type lures I have
seen range from 1 to 6 Ozs, my question is "can one rod realistically be
used to cover this whole range".

I have seen rods advertised that claim to cover 1 to 6 Oz, does anybody
have any experience of these. I cannot see that a rod with the backbone
to haul a 140 grams lure isn't too stiff to be of any use when using a
28 grams lure. This is based on my fly fishing experience where you
cannot correctly cast a five weight line with a ten weight rod and vice
versa.

I cannot afford to buy multiple rods but it seems to me that two rods
would give the best versatility and would ensure that for the smaller
lures I am not trying to cast them with a broom handle.

My idea is to get say a 20 to 60 grams long rod (9 foot) and a 60 to 110
grams short rod (6 to 7 foot).

Most fishing would be river / reservoir from bank or boat.

Does this sound sensible or have a missed something?

--
GRD

The trouble with censorship is "quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?"
(Juvenal's Satires)

Derek.Moody
February 11th, 2004, 12:27 AM
In article >, spamless
> wrote:

> After some years fly fishing I am just getting into lure fishing for
> Pike and find the range of rods and lures bewildering. Being a firm

You posted this on urf.coarse. See response there.

Cheerio,