PDA

View Full Version : The FLW/ESPN war escalates...

RichZ
September 29th, 2003, 11:58 PM
On Friday, Irwin Jacobs announced that the 2004 FLW Championship will be
rescheduled from the previously announced dates to the end of July. This
puts the FLW championship in direct conflict with the BASSMasters Classic.

There are a number of theories being floated around as to why FLW Outdoors
would make such a move. (1) The first two days of the weigh-in and outdoor
show at their recently completed 2003 Championship in Richmond were
basically a fan-free dead zone. Few fans can travel to attend mid-week
affairs during the school year, and Thurs/Fri attendance proved it. (2)
Irwin is an egomaniac who thinks he has the clout with the big money
advertisers to pull it off and thinks that FLW will come out of the fray on
top. (3) Iriwn is still PO'd that BASS was unable/unwilling to move a
western division tourney that conflicted with an FLW event last year, and
it trying to get even. (4) FLW will do anything to deflect attention away
from the Aaron Martens incident, in which the fogginess (and consequent
unenforability) of its rules has come under scrutiny.

Classics are scheduled 2 to 3 years in advance, and there's no way that
BASS is going to move or reschedule. I think that the first 3 of the
above-mentioned 'reasons' may play a partial role. I also think that Jacobs
has made a tactical error that could prove very damaging to FLW in the long
run.

Below are the reactions of some of the bigger name pros.

Angler reaction to the FLW's announcement that its season ending tournament
will now coincide with
the Bassmaster Classic

JAY YELAS: "I will not be fishing FLW next year..." "...BASS has more to
offer long term for anglers, career-wise as far as endorsement
opportunities. To build a long-term career as a bass fisherman, you have a
lot better chance doing that fishing BASS than FLW and that's why I choose
to fish with BASS. It gives me a better chance to make a living as a
pro fisherman."

DAVY HITE: "I won both the FLW Championship and the Bassmaster Classic and
I can tell you that there is no comparison. "When I won the FLW
Championship, I got $250,000 and that was all it did for my career. When I
won the Bassmaster Classic, it changed my life. Whenever I'm introduced
now, it is Davy Hite, Bassmaster Classic Champion and two-time Angler of
the Year. Winning the Bassmaster Classic opens up all the doors in the
world for potential sponsorships. The Bassmaster Classic is THE World
Championship of competitive fishing."

DENNY BRAUER: "I'm shocked. This is not good for the fans, the media or
the anglers. The Classic is THE show. The Classic is the Granddaddy and
those dates should be respected by everyone. It's going to be tough for the
industry sponsors. I'm sorry for the anglers who qualify for both series
and have the decision to make. There's no comparison when you consider what
it does for your career. You have to look at it from a
career standpoint. If you're going to do this for a long time, you have to
be careful where you fish."

GARY KLEIN: "This is a great opportunity for me to just get my deposits
back (from FLW) and bow out, because why fish if I can't make the
championship? It would be a shame that a professional angler that has
supported both circuits has to be put in a position to make a choice."

The brew gets more interesting, the more it gets stirred, doesn't it?

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Charles B. Summers
September 30th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Kinda reminds me of when I first entered my truck in an auto show. The
Nashville Auto Fest was in its' first year, and two weeks later was the
Hunter Custom Auto Show, which was the premier auto show in the city. After
I entered into the first show and paid my dues, I received my entry form of
the second. Listed in the rules... new for that year was a rule that stated
something like, any competitors that have participated in any auto shows
within the past three months will be turned down and entry fees withheld. It
was a major bummer for me until I won first in class in the NAF.

I wonder how long it will be before the FLW and Bassmater Classic does the
same. Do you know if there are any rules like that in existance now?

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
"RichZ" > wrote in message
> [...]
> the anglers. The Classic is THE show. The Classic is the Granddaddy and
> those dates should be respected by everyone. It's going to be tough for
the
> industry sponsors. I'm sorry for the anglers who qualify for both series
> and have the decision to make. There's no comparison when you consider
what
> it does for your career. You have to look at it from a
> career standpoint. If you're going to do this for a long time, you have to
> be careful where you fish."
>
> GARY KLEIN: "This is a great opportunity for me to just get my deposits
> back (from FLW) and bow out, because why fish if I can't make the
> championship? It would be a shame that a professional angler that has
> supported both circuits has to be put in a position to make a choice."
>
> The brew gets more interesting, the more it gets stirred, doesn't it?

Chuck Coger
September 30th, 2003, 03:37 AM
First things first. Jay Yelas's comment is in direct conflict to everything
I have heard any Pro BASS Angler say, "It gives me a better chance to make a
living as a pro fisherman." My dad recently sat and listened to a few of
them hacking BASS because they can barley make a living as a Pro unless your
winning every tournament out there. From what I hear they are getting tired
of being paid in product, that they can barley move, instead of cash the way
the FLW does. I won't mention the names but 1 or 2 of them are what I would
consider bigger name pro's. Maybe he meant just him!

Davey Hite, give me a 250k bump for my fishing career and step back and
watch me work, pfffft "that was all it did for my career". Please let me win
one of those, that pays a lot of bills, did he keep the money? lmfao he went
straight to the bank, and next year they will all continue to fish the FLW
because they get cash on the barrel head and dont have to pawn boats for
less than they are worth, that they cant use because of sponsorships. For
the other 2 mentioned below I agree that the Classic is the grand daddy and
if you make the cut, the Classic is the obvious choice to fish in, I will be
watching to see if Klien fishes FLW or not next year, and if he does I wont
have an once of respect for his word.

Personally I think for every bad stunt the FLW has pulled, BASS has pulled
an equally stupid stunt.

*Aaron Martens make the FLW look like a bunch of law breakers. BASS and
Busch make us all look like a bunch of Drunks.
*FLW caters to Wal-Marts and BASS sells out to ESPN.
*FLW and Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart has the crappiest fishing section in my town,
excluding only Joann's Fabrics. BASS and ESPN and ESPN has the worst Fishing
show line-up of the sports channels.
I mean they are both neck and neck on the stupid move chart in my books.
I will agree that BASS has made mass contribution to the fishing industry
and environment, and I hope ESPN will let them continue, only time will
tell. I personally see them becoming NASCAR in the near future.

I still think both of them are great dont get me wrong, but let's not get
the impression that BASS is all about the Angler anymore either. I dont
think it was a smart move on the FLW's part, and I think it is a losing
fight against a media giant. If BASS can't beat them, I am sure ESPN will.
This is only going to lead to both BASS and FLW looking like bad in the long
run.

Just my $0.02

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> [...]
> the anglers. The Classic is THE show. The Classic is the Granddaddy and
> those dates should be respected by everyone. It's going to be tough for
the
> industry sponsors. I'm sorry for the anglers who qualify for both series
> and have the decision to make. There's no comparison when you consider
what
> it does for your career. You have to look at it from a
> career standpoint. If you're going to do this for a long time, you have to
> be careful where you fish."
>
> GARY KLEIN: "This is a great opportunity for me to just get my deposits
> back (from FLW) and bow out, because why fish if I can't make the
> championship? It would be a shame that a professional angler that has
> supported both circuits has to be put in a position to make a choice."
>
> The brew gets more interesting, the more it gets stirred, doesn't it?

J Buck
September 30th, 2003, 04:14 AM
<I don't think Sept 11th is a good day to be ending a tournament
on...*snip*...the 11th should have been removed for obvious reasons>

I see where you are going with this, but where do we stop? Should the
entire USA shut down every September 11th from now on? Seems a slippery
slope to start not scheduling anything extracurricular, whether it be a
fishing tournament, a high
school football game, or a yard sale in your driveway.

Chuck Coger
September 30th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Two more things
I don't think Sept 11th is a good day to be ending a tournament on anyway,
so in my book that validates a change in dates. Not that they picked a good
date instead, but the 11th should have been removed for obvious reasons.

Secondly I noted that today FLW put a Jay Yelas Ask The Pro up. Maybe to
remind him of what he did get from the FLW.

and again dont think I wouldn't jump at the chance to fish either tour, I
personally like them both. I just dont value one more than the other.
---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
town,
> excluding only Joann's Fabrics. BASS and ESPN and ESPN has the worst
Fishing
> show line-up of the sports channels.
> I mean they are both neck and neck on the stupid move chart in my books.
> I will agree that BASS has made mass contribution to the fishing industry
> and environment, and I hope ESPN will let them continue, only time will
> tell. I personally see them becoming NASCAR in the near future.
>
> I still think both of them are great dont get me wrong, but let's not get
> the impression that BASS is all about the Angler anymore either. I dont
> think it was a smart move on the FLW's part, and I think it is a losing
> fight against a media giant. If BASS can't beat them, I am sure ESPN will.
> This is only going to lead to both BASS and FLW looking like bad in the

RichZ
September 30th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Chuck wrote:
> My dad recently sat and listened to a few of
> them hacking BASS because they can barley make a living as a Pro unless your
> winning every tournament out there.

Actually, the situation is much worse in FLW. The prize money is better at the
top, but worse in the middle of the pack, and the cost of fishing the circuit
is high. But in FLW, the prize money is all there is. No publicity. Few
sponsors will contribute to an FLW tour pro's income, because they can't get
any return on their investment. FLW promotes the corporate sponsors, period,
and prevents the angler from promoting his own. Simple point about publicity.
Most avid tourney oriented bass anglers can name the last 3 or 4 Classic
winners with no problem. Few can name the last FLW Championship winner, much
less the last 3 or 4. So who do you think is worth a bigger contract to a
sponsor?

You know I'm no fan of BASS under the ownership & control of the evil mouse
empire. But IMHO, Irwin Jacobs is a far more ominous presence in the long term
outlook for professional bass fishing.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

J Buck
September 30th, 2003, 05:21 AM
<Davey Hite, give me a 250k bump for my fishing career and step back and
watch me work, pfffft "that was all it did for my career". Please let me
win one of those, that pays a lot of bills, did he keep the money?
lmfao>

LoL Agreed. I don't know all the politics involved in this situation,
but 250k is 10 years pay to a lot of people.

Chuck Coger
September 30th, 2003, 05:53 AM
I wouldn't dare debate that the BASS isn't more lucrative to the top
anglers, as far as Sponsor contracts are concerned.
I also agree with the closing Jacobs comments, I mean I am out of a hull
warranty and few other things thanks to him, so there is no love loss there.

All I can attest to is what they had said. Having not yet dipped a toe in
the professional waters, I am probably talking about what I shouldn't be,
but that is just my current view from the cheap seats. Although when I grow
up I want to sit front row;)

It will be interesting to see exactly what the FLW is trying to pull, and I
have no doubts they are trying to pull something, unfortunatley.

So far we have only really heard BASS's strong supporters make comments, has
anyone spoken up for the FLW from the Pro ranks that I have missed. If they
were having issues with BASS as I heard, they definitely have a good soap
box to speak from on this one.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> Chuck wrote:
> > My dad recently sat and listened to a few of
> > them hacking BASS because they can barley make a living as a Pro unless
your
> > winning every tournament out there.
> >

> Actually, the situation is much worse in FLW. The prize money is better at
the
> top, but worse in the middle of the pack, and the cost of fishing the
circuit
> is high. But in FLW, the prize money is all there is. No publicity. Few
> sponsors will contribute to an FLW tour pro's income, because they can't
get
> any return on their investment. FLW promotes the corporate sponsors,
period,
> and prevents the angler from promoting his own. Simple point about
publicity.
> Most avid tourney oriented bass anglers can name the last 3 or 4 Classic
> winners with no problem. Few can name the last FLW Championship winner,
much
> less the last 3 or 4. So who do you think is worth a bigger contract to a
> sponsor?
>
> You know I'm no fan of BASS under the ownership & control of the evil
mouse
> empire. But IMHO, Irwin Jacobs is a far more ominous presence in the long
term
> outlook for professional bass fishing.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

Chuck Coger
September 30th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Here is an idea.
Take the Top 10 in The BASS Classic and the Top 10 in the FLW Championship
and have a fish off.

Just settle the whole thing on the Lake, no practice days, just a straight
up head to head fish off...
Both sides would benefit very nicley from this arrangment. It could turn out
to be a good thing all around. Talk about drawing a crowd.

ESPN could Broadcast from a Wal-Mart in the area thats 50/50. Shoot this
works out nice
Top man prizes, and top team prizes. Take an almost Ryder Cup approach to
this opportunity.

This could end up being a good thing ;) Just remember you heard it here
first. :)

World Championship of Bass Fishing

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
om...
> I wouldn't dare debate that the BASS isn't more lucrative to the top
> anglers, as far as Sponsor contracts are concerned.
> I also agree with the closing Jacobs comments, I mean I am out of a hull
> warranty and few other things thanks to him, so there is no love loss
there.

> All I can attest to is what they had said. Having not yet dipped a toe in
> the professional waters, I am probably talking about what I shouldn't be,
> but that is just my current view from the cheap seats. Although when I
grow
> up I want to sit front row;)
>
> It will be interesting to see exactly what the FLW is trying to pull, and
> have no doubts they are trying to pull something, unfortunatley.
>
> So far we have only really heard BASS's strong supporters make comments,
has
> anyone spoken up for the FLW from the Pro ranks that I have missed. If
they
> were having issues with BASS as I heard, they definitely have a good soap
> box to speak from on this one.
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com

Bob Gramza
September 30th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Have the tournament at a lake never used before, and if they don't have their state fishing license
in their pocket at launch they are disqualified.

:
: Just settle the whole thing on the Lake, no practice days, just a straight
: up head to head fish off...
: Both sides would benefit very nicley from this arrangment. It could turn out
: to be a good thing all around. Talk about drawing a crowd.
:
: ESPN could Broadcast from a Wal-Mart in the area thats 50/50. Shoot this
: works out nice
: Top man prizes, and top team prizes. Take an almost Ryder Cup approach to
: this opportunity.
:
: This could end up being a good thing ;) Just remember you heard it here
: first. :)
:
: World Championship of Bass Fishing
:
: ---
: Chuck Coger
: http://www.fishin-pro.com
:
:
:
:
: "Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
: om...
: > I wouldn't dare debate that the BASS isn't more lucrative to the top
: > anglers, as far as Sponsor contracts are concerned.
: > I also agree with the closing Jacobs comments, I mean I am out of a hull
: > warranty and few other things thanks to him, so there is no love loss
: there.
: >
[...]
: > ---
: > Chuck Coger
: > http://www.fishin-pro.com
: >
: >
: >
: >
:
:

Chuck Coger
September 30th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Here is my run at turning a negative into a positive for both Tours. It's a
little rough but I think it would be an awesome event to watch.

http://www.fishin-pro.com/bass_flw.htm

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
om...
> Here is an idea.
> Take the Top 10 in The BASS Classic and the Top 10 in the FLW Championship
> and have a fish off.
>
> Just settle the whole thing on the Lake, no practice days, just a straight
> up head to head fish off...
> Both sides would benefit very nicley from this arrangment. It could turn
out
> to be a good thing all around. Talk about drawing a crowd.
>
> ESPN could Broadcast from a Wal-Mart in the area thats 50/50. Shoot this
> works out nice
> Top man prizes, and top team prizes. Take an almost Ryder Cup approach to
> this opportunity.
>
> This could end up being a good thing ;) Just remember you heard it here
> first. :)
>
> World Championship of Bass Fishing
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com
>

> "Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I wouldn't dare debate that the BASS isn't more lucrative to the top
> > anglers, as far as Sponsor contracts are concerned.
> > I also agree with the closing Jacobs comments, I mean I am out of a hull
> > warranty and few other things thanks to him, so there is no love loss
> there.
> >
> > All I can attest to is what they had said. Having not yet dipped a toe
in
> > the professional waters, I am probably talking about what I shouldn't
be,
> > but that is just my current view from the cheap seats. Although when I
> grow
> > up I want to sit front row;)
> >
> > It will be interesting to see exactly what the FLW is trying to pull,
and
> > have no doubts they are trying to pull something, unfortunatley.
> >
> > So far we have only really heard BASS's strong supporters make comments,
> has
> > anyone spoken up for the FLW from the Pro ranks that I have missed. If
> they
> > were having issues with BASS as I heard, they definitely have a good
soap
> > box to speak from on this one.
> >
> > ---
> > Chuck Coger
> > http://www.fishin-pro.com

Mark W. Oots
September 30th, 2003, 07:26 PM
This reminds me of the IRL/CART fiasco. CART still draws in some cities, and
IRL in others, but neither sells out everywhere. Before the split, they drew
full houses every place, now it's Indy and a bunch of empty seats.

Mark

---

AJH
September 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM
"awesome to watch" Watching fishing is about like watching bumpers
rust.<g>

I fish therefore I lie

Dark Knight
October 1st, 2003, 12:57 AM
I think this is a damn fine idea Chuck!!!

Wonder if the "powers that be" will get off their brains soon enough to
realize the potential!

DK

"Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
om...
> Here is an idea.
> Take the Top 10 in The BASS Classic and the Top 10 in the FLW Championship
> and have a fish off.
>
> Just settle the whole thing on the Lake, no practice days, just a straight
> up head to head fish off...
> Both sides would benefit very nicley from this arrangment. It could turn
out
> to be a good thing all around. Talk about drawing a crowd.
>
> ESPN could Broadcast from a Wal-Mart in the area thats 50/50. Shoot this
> works out nice
> Top man prizes, and top team prizes. Take an almost Ryder Cup approach to
> this opportunity.
>
> This could end up being a good thing ;) Just remember you heard it here
> first. :)
>
> World Championship of Bass Fishing
>
> ---
> Chuck Coger
> http://www.fishin-pro.com
>

> "Chuck Coger" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I wouldn't dare debate that the BASS isn't more lucrative to the top
> > anglers, as far as Sponsor contracts are concerned.
> > I also agree with the closing Jacobs comments, I mean I am out of a hull
> > warranty and few other things thanks to him, so there is no love loss
> there.
> >
> > All I can attest to is what they had said. Having not yet dipped a toe
in
> > the professional waters, I am probably talking about what I shouldn't
be,
> > but that is just my current view from the cheap seats. Although when I
> grow
> > up I want to sit front row;)
> >
> > It will be interesting to see exactly what the FLW is trying to pull,
and
> > have no doubts they are trying to pull something, unfortunatley.
> >
> > So far we have only really heard BASS's strong supporters make comments,
> has
> > anyone spoken up for the FLW from the Pro ranks that I have missed. If
> they
> > were having issues with BASS as I heard, they definitely have a good
soap
> > box to speak from on this one.
> >
> > ---
> > Chuck Coger
> > http://www.fishin-pro.com

Joe
October 1st, 2003, 01:52 AM
Anything is possible. 30+ years ago nobody would have thought AFL-NFL would
merge.
Or NHL-WHL, NBA-ABA.
The day it happens we can all be smug in knowing we read it here first
thanks to Chuck. ;-) Joe Z.

"