PDA

View Full Version : Cats Whisker etc ?

George Anderson
February 27th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Hi All,

Got a question. Some of you might recall my requests for help over past
while, for help with fly patterns.

I'm wondering, would flies such as Gold Head Cat Whisker etc work on a small
river the might offer brown trout, sea trout ... and not forgetting the
salmon ??

Up till now, I've tied and tried, spider patterns, teal, blue and silver,
black pennel, invicta etc ... with varied degrees of success. The best yet
has yielded to a pearl invicta ... this was a 1lb brown (well it is a small
river ... with some large offerings :-)

If you would like to throw some ideas my way, please do, glad to get the
advice

Thanks for now

George

--
---

Derek.Moody
February 27th, 2004, 11:38 PM
In article >, George Anderson
> wrote:

> I'm wondering, would flies such as Gold Head Cat Whisker etc work on a small
> river the might offer brown trout, sea trout ... and not forgetting the
> salmon ??

Try it.

Gold heads will get well down in a pool if you want to try the Sawyer style
induced take. I'd be less keen to use a weighted fly after dark but if you
are sure of the bottom it might interest seatrout too.

Cheerio,

--

Dave Lane
March 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM
In message >
"George Anderson" > wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Got a question. Some of you might recall my requests for help over past
> while, for help with fly patterns.
>
> I'm wondering, would flies such as Gold Head Cat Whisker etc work on a small
> river the might offer brown trout, sea trout ... and not forgetting the
> salmon ??

gold head black tadpole - for when the river is low and slow, and you're
after the sea trout. Let it sink then go for a fast retrieve - be prepared
to hang on.... :+)

hth,

.... 'Windows'. wipes away those stubborn BBS's !