PDA

View Full Version : Fly rodding for pike

Jim Murray
March 11th, 2004, 07:13 PM
A few questions on flyrodding for pike.

1. I have some 14lb. fluorocarbon line, would this make a good leader
material?

2. Can you use a braided loop connector to join the line to the backing.

3. I've bought a 8/9 intermediate sinking line. Have heard that the (pike)
fly will turn over better if you cut about 2 feet from the forward end of
the line. Would this be correct?

Jim.

Sandy
March 11th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Jim Murray wrote:
> A few questions on flyrodding for pike.
>
> 1. I have some 14lb. fluorocarbon line, would this make a good leader
> material?

A friend of mine recommends the following for leaders.

Drennan 7 strand soft wire
Kaliber wonderwire
Rio leaders for bonefish and tarpon

> 2. Can you use a braided loop connector to join the line to the
> backing.

I usually use a nail knot but a braided loop should be fine, I use that on
the other end for my leader.

> 3. I've bought a 8/9 intermediate sinking line. Have heard that the
> (pike) fly will turn over better if you cut about 2 feet from the
> forward end of the line. Would this be correct?

If you don't make your flies too bulky/heavy the normal length shouldn't be
a problem.

For some fly patterns have a look at the following.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cnangler/html/pike1.htm#flies

http://www.flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/flytying/pike_fly.html

http://www.flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/patterns/flyvbait.html

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

Jim Murray
March 11th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Already have some wire traces crimped up Sandy, I was wondering if the
fluorocarbon would suffice for the leader itself. Never used the stuff
before.

> A friend of mine recommends the following for leaders.
>
> Drennan 7 strand soft wire
> Kaliber wonderwire
> Rio leaders for bonefish and tarpon
>
> > 3. I've bought a 8/9 intermediate sinking line. Have heard that the
> > (pike) fly will turn over better if you cut about 2 feet from the
> > forward end of the line. Would this be correct?
> >

> If you don't make your flies too bulky/heavy the normal length shouldn't
be
> a problem.

The flies I'll be using *will* be fairly bulky on occasion.

Sandy
March 11th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Jim Murray wrote:
> Already have some wire traces crimped up Sandy, I was wondering if the
> fluorocarbon would suffice for the leader itself. Never used the stuff
> before.
>
>> A friend of mine recommends the following for leaders.
>>
>> Drennan 7 strand soft wire
>> Kaliber wonderwire
>> Rio leaders for bonefish and tarpon

The Drennan soft wire doesn't need crimps, it seems you can tie it just like
nylon and it doesnt kink or loose its strength. I have never used it so I
can only take my mates word for that :)

I haven't used fluorocarbon but would certainly recommend Maxima Cameleon. I
use it all the time for my fly casts and it hasn't let me down yet.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667
#Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.rabble.ftscotland.co.uk
ICQ : 41266150

Derek.Moody
March 12th, 2004, 12:01 AM
In article >, Jim Murray
> wrote:
> A few questions on flyrodding for pike.

A little OT here. X-posted & followups set to urf.coarse

> 1. I have some 14lb. fluorocarbon line, would this make a good leader
> material?

Use something cheap and stiff. Really nasty cut-priced 15lb bs would be my
choice. Try not to have a hinge-point between the leader and the wire
tippet. In other words use a knot that whips onto the wire rather than any
sort of loop to loop.

> 2. Can you use a braided loop connector to join the line to the backing.

Don't see why not though I tend to whip mine.

> 3. I've bought a 8/9 intermediate sinking line. Have heard that the (pike)
> fly will turn over better if you cut about 2 feet from the forward end of
> the line. Would this be correct?

For really big flies you might want to try a shorter piece of flat 12 weight
as a 'shooting' head although you'll probably not be shooting for range.

I haven't really had a chance to experiment this year. I was planning to
try some bigger flies hoping for bigger fish. The 4" jobs that seem to be
standard are smaller than many I use in the sea. Come the summer I intend
to try some 8" poppers.

Cheerio,