PDA

View Full Version : kelly kettle tips

Jim Murray
March 22nd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Recently acquired a Kelly Kettle and been trying it out in the garden. First
time out, with dry sticks it worked a treat, boiling hot!

Today thought I'd try it just after a shower. I hear the kettles are used
widely in the West of Ireland so I'd have thought there would be many days
where you'd have to use wet wood.

Anyway, it didn't seem to like the wet stuff too much, I couldn't get the
water more than warm. Just wondering if anyone's got any tips for using
them, especially with wet tinder.

Jim.

Derek.Moody
March 22nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
In article >, Jim Murray
> wrote:
> Recently acquired a Kelly Kettle and been trying it out in the garden. First
> time out, with dry sticks it worked a treat, boiling hot!
>
> Today thought I'd try it just after a shower. I hear the kettles are used
> widely in the West of Ireland so I'd have thought there would be many days
> where you'd have to use wet wood.
>
> Anyway, it didn't seem to like the wet stuff too much, I couldn't get the
> water more than warm. Just wondering if anyone's got any tips for using
> them, especially with wet tinder.

Always keep your tinder dry. In all but the most ghastly weather you should
be able to find dry enough fuel. Wet wood is not fuel and it isn't used as
such in Ireland either. There's no sin in using a bit of paper as tinder.
If you want to be a bit more backwoodsy then keep a few scraps of dry stuff
in your jacket - in a tinderbox for eg though a plastic bag might be better
nowadays.

Cheerio,

--

Jim Murray
March 23rd, 2004, 11:15 AM
Hear what you're saying Derek. Got the kettle as a freebie, just thought I'd
try it out.

All things considered, think I'll stick to using my Coleman unleaded stove.
Packs away small, no problems finding/storing fuel and on a cold day even
acts as a heater.

The Kelly is fairly bulky and I don't fancy having to take paper, dry
sticks, etc. It's a lovely concept though, probably keep it for dry days
when I'm not going to be roving much. Thanks,

Jim.

"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, Jim Murray
> > wrote:
> > Recently acquired a Kelly Kettle and been trying it out in the garden.
First
> > time out, with dry sticks it worked a treat, boiling hot!
> >
> > Today thought I'd try it just after a shower. I hear the kettles are
used
> > widely in the West of Ireland so I'd have thought there would be many
days
> > where you'd have to use wet wood.
> >
> > Anyway, it didn't seem to like the wet stuff too much, I couldn't get
the
> > water more than warm. Just wondering if anyone's got any tips for using
> > them, especially with wet tinder.
>
> Always keep your tinder dry. In all but the most ghastly weather you
should
> be able to find dry enough fuel. Wet wood is not fuel and it isn't used
as
> such in Ireland either. There's no sin in using a bit of paper as tinder.
> If you want to be a bit more backwoodsy then keep a few scraps of dry
stuff
> in your jacket - in a tinderbox for eg though a plastic bag might be
better
> nowadays.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

Derek.Moody
March 23rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
In article >, Jim Murray
> wrote:

> The Kelly is fairly bulky and I don't fancy having to take paper, dry
> sticks, etc. It's a lovely concept though, probably keep it for dry days
> when I'm not going to be roving much. Thanks,

You only need to keep enough tinder dry to get it started if the weather is
foul, even then you should be able to find suitable fuel close to the
waterside. Prefuel the stove before you leave home - that's one brew taken
care of so you have a little longer to find the next charge.

Cheerio,