PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Note From A Friend

Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton
September 30th, 2003, 03:52 AM
On Friday, Irwin Jacobs announced that the 2004 FLW Championship will
be
rescheduled from the previously announced dates to the end of July.
This
puts the FLW championship in direct conflict with the BASSMasters
Classic.

There are a number of theories being floated around as to why FLW
Outdoors
would make such a move. (1) The first two days of the weigh-in and
outdoor
show at their recently completed 2003 Championship in Richmond were
basically a fan-free dead zone. Few fans can travel to attend mid-week
affairs during the school year, and Thurs/Fri attendance proved it.
(2)
Irwin is an egomaniac who thinks he has the clout with the big money
advertisers to pull it off and thinks that FLW will come out of the
fray on
top. (3) Iriwn is still PO'd that BASS was unable/unwilling to move a
western division tourney that conflicted with an FLW event last year,
and
it trying to get even. (4) FLW will do anything to deflect attention
away
from the Aaron Martens incident, in which the fogginess (and
consequent
unenforability) of its rules has come under scrutiny.

Classics are scheduled 2 to 3 years in advance, and there's no way
that
BASS is going to move or reschedule. I think that the first 3 of the
above-mentioned 'reasons' may play a partial role. I also think that
Jacobs
has made a tactical error that could prove very damaging to FLW in the
long
run.

Below are the reactions of some of the bigger name pros.

Angler reaction to the FLW's announcement that its season ending
tournament
will now coincide with
the Bassmaster Classic

JAY YELAS: "I will not be fishing FLW next year..." "...BASS has more
offer long term for anglers, career-wise as far as endorsement
opportunities. To build a long-term career as a bass fisherman, you
have a
lot better chance doing that fishing BASS than FLW and that's why I
choose
to fish with BASS. It gives me a better chance to make a living as a
pro fisherman."

DAVY HITE: "I won both the FLW Championship and the Bassmaster Classic
and
I can tell you that there is no comparison. "When I won the FLW
Championship, I got $250,000 and that was all it did for my career.
When I
won the Bassmaster Classic, it changed my life. Whenever I'm
introduced
now, it is Davy Hite, Bassmaster Classic Champion and two-time Angler
of
the Year. Winning the Bassmaster Classic opens up all the doors in the
world for potential sponsorships. The Bassmaster Classic is THE World
Championship of competitive fishing."

DENNY BRAUER: "I'm shocked. This is not good for the fans, the media
or
the anglers. The Classic is THE show. The Classic is the Granddaddy
and
those dates should be respected by everyone. It's going to be tough
for the
industry sponsors. I'm sorry for the anglers who qualify for both
series
and have the decision to make. There's no comparison when you consider
what
it does for your career. You have to look at it from a
career standpoint. If you're going to do this for a long time, you
have to
be careful where you fish."

GARY KLEIN: "This is a great opportunity for me to just get my
deposits
back (from FLW) and bow out, because why fish if I can't make the
championship? It would be a shame that a professional angler that has
supported both circuits has to be put in a position to make a choice."

The brew gets more interesting, the more it gets stirred, doesn't it?

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton
September 30th, 2003, 03:55 AM
I had a note to add to Rich's posting but I deleted it somehow.
--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

"Jerry "NervisRek" Barton" > wrote in message
> [...]
> industry sponsors. I'm sorry for the anglers who qualify for both
> series
> and have the decision to make. There's no comparison when you
consider
> what
> it does for your career. You have to look at it from a
> career standpoint. If you're going to do this for a long time, you
> have to
> be careful where you fish."
>
> GARY KLEIN: "This is a great opportunity for me to just get my
> deposits
> back (from FLW) and bow out, because why fish if I can't make the
> championship? It would be a shame that a professional angler that
has
> supported both circuits has to be put in a position to make a
choice."

> The brew gets more interesting, the more it gets stirred, doesn't

Craig
September 30th, 2003, 05:17 PM
I have been watching this post closely and have waited to reply because I
have mixed feelings.

Operation Bass is an incredible organization that, in my opinion, does a
much better job at developing young anglers through the BFL than B.A.S.S.
does at its Federation Level. Why? Because each of their tournaments are
Professionally organized and run. Giving the young angler the true
experience of fishing a Professional Tournament. This experience, in my
opinion, better prepares the angler for when he or she decides to step up to
the Pro Ranks.

B.A.S.S. on the other hand is also a tremendous organization that has
propelled bass fishing to what it is today. Without the efforts of Ray
Scott and the B.A.S.S. organization, professional bass fishing would still
be a pipe dream.

It is a shame that these two great organizations cannot work together.

I personally will stand on the side and watch this play out. I wish only
the best to both organizations.

--
Craig Baugher

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
September 30th, 2003, 10:17 PM
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:55:46 -0400, "Jerry \"NervisRek\" Barton"
> sent into the ether:

>I had a note to add to Rich's posting but I deleted it somehow.

Old age :<}

danl
Good fishing, great catching
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
Remove left x for direct reply

Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton
October 1st, 2003, 12:49 AM
What you say WIllis?

--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com
> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:55:46 -0400, "Jerry \"NervisRek\" Barton"
> > sent into the ether:
>
> >I had a note to add to Rich's posting but I deleted it somehow.
>
> Old age :<}
>
> danl
> Good fishing, great catching
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> Remove left x for direct reply

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard
October 1st, 2003, 02:40 AM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:49:32 -0400, "Jerry \"NervisRek\" Barton"
> sent into the ether:

>What you say WIllis?

Now that reminds me of something completely off topic.

Dennis Miller is in town for a performance and was on the local
morning show. He brought up that he would like to see Gary Coleman
marry Arianna Huffington, win the CA governors race and be carried in
on Arianna's shoulder for the swearing in ceremony!!!

Kind of like Beyond Thunderdome or some such Mel Gibson movie. LOL
I think it would sell. :<}

What were we talking about? I seem to have lost track.
danl
Good fishing, great catching
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
Remove left x for direct reply

Dwayne E. Cooper
October 1st, 2003, 11:56 AM
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:52:15 -0400, "Jerry \"NervisRek\" Barton"
> wrote:

>Angler reaction to the FLW's announcement that its season ending
>tournament will now coincide with the Bassmaster Classic
>
>JAY YELAS: "I will not be fishing FLW next year..."
> (snip)

Another way of looking at this: There will be more opportunities
for other fishermen to fish one of these circuits with this move.
That will help more careers get started and likewise hurt some of
other guys (more established fishermen) careers...

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN