PDA

View Full Version : New Website & Forum Welsh Fishing Venues

Neo-1
April 14th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Hello all I have recently launched a new web site to promote welsh fishing
venues, i'm looking for details information on welsh venues , and of course
members for the site, please take a look and let me know your views. the
site is at http://www.fish4wales.com.

Thanks

Nick

riverman
April 23rd, 2004, 12:35 PM
"Neo-1" > wrote in message
> Hello all I have recently launched a new web site to promote welsh fishing
> venues, i'm looking for details information on welsh venues , and of
course
> members for the site, please take a look and let me know your views. the
> site is at http://www.fish4wales.com.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Looks potentially interesting. Get it up and running soon, as I am planning
on coming to Wales for some fishing in June!! One suggestion: many of us
don't know where places are in Wales, so instead of a list of towns and
venues, provide an interactive map of Wales showing the rivers and town that
we click on instead. It also would help show regions where multiple streams
were available.

If you wanted to get even fancier, have optional 'overlays' for the map: an
overlay with links to various places to stay (B&Bs, guest cottages, etc);
another with roads or railways (so we can compare driving distances/times);
maybe one that just featured trout streams, another one that featured the
waters you can fish on any given permit (the Why and Usk passport system,
for example).

But mostly, have a map that shows the location of the different venues,
please.

--riverman

Dave Lane
April 23rd, 2004, 02:59 PM
In message >
"riverman" > wrote:

> "Neo-1" > wrote in message
> > Hello all I have recently launched a new web site to promote welsh fishing
> > venues, i'm looking for details information on welsh venues , and of
> course
> > members for the site, please take a look and let me know your views. the
> > site is at http://www.fish4wales.com.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Nick
> >

> Looks potentially interesting. Get it up and running soon, as I am planning
> on coming to Wales for some fishing in June!! One suggestion: many of us
> don't know where places are in Wales, so instead of a list of towns and
> venues, provide an interactive map of Wales showing the rivers and town that
> we click on instead. It also would help show regions where multiple streams
> were available.

I've got a few threadbare pages about the lakes and rivers around Bethesda,
up in N.Wales, near Bangor. One of these days, I keep meaning to redo
them all.... ho ho...

http://xavier.bangor.ac.uk/dlane/fishing/

and a link to the local AA site;

http://users.tinyworld.co.uk/joeyjones/joeyjones/ovaa/index.htm

Nice little river, with some of the most picturesque lakes in the country..

cheers,

.... Salvation is only a Beer Bottle away...

Handy Andy
April 24th, 2004, 10:39 AM
When you get ur site organised !! do let us know.
In the meantime, this is still the best Welsh Sea Finging info site -
http://www.nwsa.ukf.net/

tight lines

W. D. Grey
April 27th, 2004, 10:46 PM
In article >, riverman
> writes
>Looks potentially interesting. Get it up and running soon, as I am planning
>on coming to Wales for some fishing in June!! One suggestion: many of us
>don't know where places are in Wales, so instead of a list of towns and
>venues, provide an interactive map of Wales showing the rivers and town that
>we click on instead. It also would help show regions where multiple streams
>were available.

I'll post you a tourist map if you let me know where to send it - can't
be fairer than that.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

riverman
April 28th, 2004, 08:06 AM
"W. D. Grey" > wrote in message
> In article >, riverman
> > writes
> >Looks potentially interesting. Get it up and running soon, as I am
planning
> >on coming to Wales for some fishing in June!! One suggestion: many of us
> >don't know where places are in Wales, so instead of a list of towns and
> >venues, provide an interactive map of Wales showing the rivers and town
that
> >we click on instead. It also would help show regions where multiple
streams
> >were available.
>
> I'll post you a tourist map if you let me know where to send it - can't
> be fairer than that.
> --
> Bill Grey
> http://www.billboy.co.uk

OK, but I already have a tourist map that shows all the rivers and roads.
However, it also shows all the towns, hills, parks, elevations, etc etc, and
it makes finding an specific river or tributary akin to finding a needle in
a haystack. (Or more like a gnddyl in a ghhyskkk). If you have a map that
has just the rivers, even the little ones, with their names clearly shown,
I'd love to have it! My email is ; you already know my
first name.

Thanks
--riverman

riverman
April 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
> > I'll post you a tourist map if you let me know where to send it - can't
> > be fairer than that.
> > --
> > Bill Grey
> > http://www.billboy.co.uk
>
> OK, but I already have a tourist map that shows all the rivers and roads.
> However, it also shows all the towns, hills, parks, elevations, etc etc,
and
> it makes finding an specific river or tributary akin to finding a needle
in
> a haystack. (Or more like a gnddyl in a ghhyskkk). If you have a map that
> has just the rivers, even the little ones, with their names clearly shown,
> I'd love to have it! My email is ; you already know my
> first name.

D'oH! There's that 'snail mail vs email' thing again. You meant "post" as in
"send through the mail", right? Thanks for the offer, but the mail is so
slow getting to Congo that I would not recieve it until after vacation. I
have a nice roadmap book of England and Wales which shows everything, but
the problem is when someone mentions the Gwtth Cwm or something, it takes an
hour to find it (only towns are shown in the index). However, I found a map
online that is exactly what I'm looking for. But thank you for your offer.

--riverman

W. D. Grey
May 1st, 2004, 11:54 PM
In article >, riverman
> writes
>OK, but I already have a tourist map that shows all the rivers and roads.
>However, it also shows all the towns, hills, parks, elevations, etc etc, and
>it makes finding an specific river or tributary akin to finding a needle in
>a haystack. (Or more like a gnddyl in a ghhyskkk). If you have a map that
>has just the rivers, even the little ones, with their names clearly shown,
>I'd love to have it! My email is ; you already know my
>first name.
>
>Thanks
>--riverman

Hi riverman,

I'm sorry I don't have a more detailed map than the one you have. For
real detail you'd need an Ordnance Survey map at 1:25000 scale and they
are quite expensive.

Try the Internet, Google should find you Streetmaps-UK, or their own
site. The scale you'll get is 1;50000 but it is better than nothing. You
will probably have to enter local well known places such as Builth, or
Llanwrtyd, or even Llangammarch

How you find what you need.

BTW I don't know your first name.

All the best
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
May 1st, 2004, 11:55 PM
In article >, riverman
> writes
>> > I'll post you a tourist map if you let me know where to send it - can't
>> > be fairer than that.
>> > --
>> > Bill Grey
>> > http://www.billboy.co.uk
>>
>> OK, but I already have a tourist map that shows all the rivers and roads.
>> However, it also shows all the towns, hills, parks, elevations, etc etc,
>and
>> it makes finding an specific river or tributary akin to finding a needle
>in
>> a haystack. (Or more like a gnddyl in a ghhyskkk). If you have a map that
>> has just the rivers, even the little ones, with their names clearly shown,
>> I'd love to have it! My email is ; you already know my
>> first name.
>

>D'oH! There's that 'snail mail vs email' thing again. You meant "post" as in
>"send through the mail", right? Thanks for the offer, but the mail is so
>slow getting to Congo that I would not recieve it until after vacation. I
>have a nice roadmap book of England and Wales which shows everything, but
>the problem is when someone mentions the Gwtth Cwm or something, it takes an
>hour to find it (only towns are shown in the index). However, I found a map
>online that is exactly what I'm looking for. But thank you for your offer.
>
>--riverman

Excellent, I Hope your proposed trip works out well for you.

Regards,
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Jonti
May 31st, 2004, 03:22 PM
--

"W. D. Grey" > wrote in message
> In article >, riverman
> > writes
> >OK, but I already have a tourist map that shows all the rivers and roads.
> >However, it also shows all the towns, hills, parks, elevations, etc etc,
and
> >it makes finding an specific river or tributary akin to finding a needle
in
> >a haystack. (Or more like a gnddyl in a ghhyskkk). If you have a map that
> >has just the rivers, even the little ones, with their names clearly
shown,
> >I'd love to have it! My email is ; you already know
my
> >first name.
> >
> >Thanks
> >--riverman
>
> Hi riverman,
>
> I'm sorry I don't have a more detailed map than the one you have. For
> real detail you'd need an Ordnance Survey map at 1:25000 scale and they
> are quite expensive.

Ordnance Survey maps' at 1:25000 are available online and can be saved and
printed off IIRC. Although they are only part of the 1:25000. i.e in 2
Kilometre Squares. Could save a few different squares though ;-)

Regards,
Chris.

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://uk.geocities.com/cravenbirds/

Checked by the Norton auto-updated anti-virus system.