PDA

View Full Version : Dry fly suggestions

delta
April 15th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Hi,
Just wondered what dry fly pattern anyone would recommend when the trout are
taking small black gnats off the top?.
Thanks for your help,
Danny

---

helen rees
April 15th, 2004, 11:07 PM
small black gnat, small black hopper, little black cdc
"delta" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Just wondered what dry fly pattern anyone would recommend when the trout
are
> taking small black gnats off the top?.
> Thanks for your help,
> Danny
>

> ---

pete devlin
April 15th, 2004, 11:31 PM
In message >, delta
> writes
>Hi,
>Just wondered what dry fly pattern anyone would recommend when the trout are
>taking small black gnats off the top?.
>Thanks for your help,

Erm.....Black Gnat?!

--
Pete Devlin
A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.

delta
April 16th, 2004, 10:55 PM
LOL I left myself open to that!
What I actually meant was that I was going this evening and wouldn't have a
chance to get to the tackle shop to purchase any"small black gnats" and
wondered what else I could use that i might have in my fly box.
anyway in the end i used a small klinkhammer and had 5 browns, so had a good
evening.
Regards,
Danny
"pete devlin" > wrote in message
> In message >, delta
> > writes
> >Hi,
> >Just wondered what dry fly pattern anyone would recommend when the trout
are
> >taking small black gnats off the top?.
> >Thanks for your help,
>
> Erm.....Black Gnat?!
>
> --
> Pete Devlin
> [{//////news03//////at\\\\\secondrow/////co\\\\\uk}]
> A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.

---

Derek.Moody
April 17th, 2004, 11:56 AM
In article >, delta
> wrote:
> LOL I left myself open to that!
> What I actually meant was that I was going this evening and wouldn't have a
> chance to get to the tackle shop to purchase any"small black gnats" and
> wondered what else I could use that i might have in my fly box.
> anyway in the end i used a small klinkhammer and had 5 browns, so had a good
> evening.

Fair enough. Bear in mind that a waterproof marker pen can convert any
(clean undressed) small fly into a black gnat at need.

Cheerio,

--

Steven Crook
April 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Derek.Moody wrote:

> In article >, delta
> > wrote:
>
>>LOL I left myself open to that!
>>What I actually meant was that I was going this evening and wouldn't have a
>>chance to get to the tackle shop to purchase any"small black gnats" and
>>wondered what else I could use that i might have in my fly box.
>>anyway in the end i used a small klinkhammer and had 5 browns, so had a good
>>evening.
>>

> Fair enough. Bear in mind that a waterproof marker pen can convert any
> (clean undressed) small fly into a black gnat at need.
>
> Cheerio,

So, a Klinkhamer is a dry fly now is it.... (Or was it always?)

Had a few nibbles from the Avon on Friday night but nothing
stuck - I'm very rusty but the season is young.

Best wishes for the new season,

Steve Crook
Salisbury

Derek.Moody
April 18th, 2004, 07:01 PM
In article >, Steven Crook
> wrote:

> So, a Klinkhamer is a dry fly now is it.... (Or was it always?)

What else would it be?

It's really a dressing style for rough water. Traditionally rather bushy,
overdressed patterns were used here but they never addressed the other
problem the Klinkhammer deals with so well, that of visibility.

No matter how well the fly floats it not a lot of use if you (the angler)
cannot see it and so miss all takes in fast, bobbly water.

Cheerio,