PDA

View Full Version : Split cane rods - renovation

Alec Powell
April 19th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Hi all,
Do we have any one on the newsgroup that is conversant with renovating
split cane?
Met a guy at a country fair the other day who was building split cane
rods and I got to thinking about renovating one that's sat around for
years waiting for some TLC.
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

Alternative email address:

Web Pages:
http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

trevor greene
April 20th, 2004, 08:57 PM
I was just about to send a question to the group asking if any one has ring spacings for a 12' trout fly rod which I am builiding on a Fibatube blank? Help please?

I have done a few old rods (not quality ones, which I would suggest go to the maker if he is still about).

If the rod is still intact and the cane has not separated in any way then the job is fairly striaght forward. A Stanley knife to remove the old tyings is first being careful only to nick the silk.

Remove all that and then use the knife to remove the old varnish.... do not use sand paper as you will almost surely round off the edges. Go slowly.....

the ring spacings can either be measured or marked with a pen just mark inside the line of the old tying.

If you wish to replace the handle you may need to build up the cane to accept a parallel bore cork - they come preshaped but if you fancy shaping one yourself a lathe is the only good answer. Likewise with reel fittings build up to a really snug fit before glueing. I usually use old newspaper soaked in epoxy to build a "papier maché" base to accept the new handle and reel seat.Finish with oodles of epoxy to fill every gap for a secure finish. Line up the reel seat with the rod assembled cos most will have a "set" or curve which you will want to have on the line of the direction you hold the rod.

To finish the whippings I would use silk if you can get it or one of the finer Gudebrod nylons in a pale colour (lemon was good on the last rod I did) so that when varnished it remains somewhat transparent. I would use a modern two pack epoxy for the whippings. Hopkins and Holloway snakes look great if you want to replace the rings, the old-style bridge rings are harder to find. To finish the rod and keep a traditional look yacht varnish will give an authentic look. A number of thinned coats will be better than a few thick ones.

The job is simple but improves with the amount of time taken.

See the Harrison rods site for some good technique advise.

Do please let us know how you get along.

Trevor

Now.... any ideas about my ring spacings?