PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Hampshire

Jon
May 19th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Me and a couple of chums are off down to the Test, 1st week June, we have
normally gone mid May and had quite successful Mayfly hatches.
My question is will we miss the Mayfly hatch and if so what other flies
should I be stocking up on?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, I need every edge I can get over
my firends!!

Cheers

jon

Mark Elliott
May 20th, 2004, 08:45 PM
I fished The Kennet today - hardly a Mayfly to be seen, certainly not
duffers fortnight yet so you should be fine for 1st June.

After the Mayfly hatch I usually stick to Klinkhammers in assorted colours.

Mark

"Jon" > wrote in message
> Me and a couple of chums are off down to the Test, 1st week June, we have
> normally gone mid May and had quite successful Mayfly hatches.
> My question is will we miss the Mayfly hatch and if so what other flies
> should I be stocking up on?
>
> Any help would be gratefully appreciated, I need every edge I can get over
> my firends!!
>
> Cheers
>
> jon

Dave
May 21st, 2004, 09:47 AM
I agree with the previous post, klinkhammers do the business.

I fished the Test a couple of times in June and did extremely well on
a small Adam Irresistable - it's like a grey wulf but has a deer hair
body to keep it up in the water. I also particularly like the a
pheasant tail "dry" fly, it mimics all sorts of brown insects and is
simple to tie.

As for CDC, I prefer the F-Fly style for rivers in various colours
over the suspended buzzer style CDC's - as the wind and current can
often knock the later around, so they don't present themselves
properly. The F-Fly has caught me many fish, don't leave home without
some :)

Fulling Mill do a nice selection of dries, inpartcular the high vis
black gnat - parachute style, I've caught on this all over. Online
available at www.flybuyer.co.uk - I've deallt with this company many
times, they are really good and usually quite fast.

Regards

Dave

Derek.Moody
May 21st, 2004, 11:35 AM
In article >, Jon
> wrote:
> Me and a couple of chums are off down to the Test, 1st week June, we have
> normally gone mid May and had quite successful Mayfly hatches.
> My question is will we miss the Mayfly hatch and if so what other flies
> should I be stocking up on?

The other morning on the Frome there was an old fashioned mixed hatch - to
the point that breathing was risky and the fish had rather too much choice.
Green and yellow drake, a few bwo's, pale olives, iron blue and a grannom
sized caddis all at once.

The later in the mayfly season the pickier the fish get, it can be worth
offering a much smaller, darker fly instead. The best advice is to 'phone
the keeper a couple of days before to get the latest sp.

And I've never known a water where, it it's hard, it isn't worth banging a
big fly down under every bush - any old big deerhair sedge will do.

> Any help would be gratefully appreciated, I need every edge I can get over
> my firends!!

<g>

When you first get there go stand high by the water or on a bridge, see
what's in there. I remember how many years ago we went to the test to book
some fishing on a water we didn't know but which we heard had beats
available. Luckily, while we were waiting for the proprietor, we did take a
look. The water was full of milling rainbows, big ones. As we came into
view they turned and swam towards us looking for pellets...
We went elsewhere.

OK, when you get there you're already committed* but you'll see how the fish
are lying and whether and how they're feeding. From river level it's not so
easy to tell what they're up to. If you wind up getting that beat don't
worry about having spooked those fish - start at the other end and when you
get back to them they'll have settled but you know where they're lying.

*If it -is- full of rainbows don't expect them to hold a lie, they're more
likely to patrol a short beat.

Cheerio,

--

Jon
May 25th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks very much for your advice (so far, please keep it coming) Another
avenue I am considering is a long-term wait on Chatsworth and just taking
the occasional day on their Monsal Dale stretch on the Wye and the Peacock
at Rowsley (Haddon Hall Estate)

If you know of any others or just general info on Derbyshire fishing then we
should maintain this or similar threads.

Thank you again and Tight Lines

Jon

"Mark Elliott" > wrote in message
> I fished The Kennet today - hardly a Mayfly to be seen, certainly not
> duffers fortnight yet so you should be fine for 1st June.
>
> After the Mayfly hatch I usually stick to Klinkhammers in assorted
colours.

> Mark
>
> "Jon" > wrote in message
> > Me and a couple of chums are off down to the Test, 1st week June, we
have
> > normally gone mid May and had quite successful Mayfly hatches.
> > My question is will we miss the Mayfly hatch and if so what other flies
> > should I be stocking up on?
> >
> > Any help would be gratefully appreciated, I need every edge I can get
over
> > my firends!!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > jon

Jon
May 25th, 2004, 10:19 PM
So, I made a mistake!!!!

This was meant to go on the Derbyshire thread!

Sorry but I should not have accepted that extra glass of wine at dinner!

Regards

Jon