PDA

View Full Version : Now you know.

Izaak
May 20th, 2004, 05:59 PM
This is the Green Party's official policy on angling. I was considering
voting for them, but that's all over now.

AR412 The Green Party is opposed to angling as a bloodsport. We will ban
livebaiting which is inherently cruel. The Green Party will ban the use of
all lead shot / weights used by anglers which are harmful to many other
forms of wildlife. The Party will promote the voluntary cessation of angling
through public education programmes

Nick
May 21st, 2004, 09:39 PM
- And on Thu, 20 May 2004 16:59:34 +0000 (UTC), it was spake thus > said in message "Izaak" >:

> This is the Green Party's official policy on angling. I was considering
> voting for them, but that's all over now.
>

> AR412 The Green Party is opposed to angling as a bloodsport. We will ban
> livebaiting which is inherently cruel. The Green Party will ban the use of
> all lead shot / weights used by anglers which are harmful to many other
> forms of wildlife. The Party will promote the voluntary cessation of angling
> through public education programmes

So alright, I know I shouldn't follow politics up as I can't argue... but !

That doesn't ban fly I feel...
'livebaiting, lead shot/weights'
No mention of artificial fly...

What they going to do about Drift netting in the sea and netting of salmon...

--
Nick in Northallerton
Also nickw7coc on both Yahoo Messenger & on MSN Messenger

Derek.Moody
May 22nd, 2004, 12:58 AM
In article >, Nick
> wrote:
> - And on Thu, 20 May 2004 16:59:34 +0000 (UTC), it was spake thus <c8io5m$t0r$2@spart
> a.btinternet.com> said in message "Izaak" >:

> > AR412 The Green Party is opposed to angling as a bloodsport. We will ban

> So alright, I know I shouldn't follow politics up as I can't argue... but !

It's the Neimoller (?spp?) principle.

> That doesn't ban fly I feel...
> 'livebaiting, lead shot/weights'
> No mention of artificial fly...

This is a gamefishing group, not a flyfishing group.

> What they going to do about Drift netting in the sea and netting of salmon...

They're politicians, they don't have to worry about the real world.

Cheerio,

--

Hippo
May 23rd, 2004, 07:36 AM
"Nick" > wrote in message
> - And on Thu, 20 May 2004 16:59:34 +0000 (UTC), it was spake thus
> said in message "Izaak"
>:
>
> > This is the Green Party's official policy on angling. I was considering
> > voting for them, but that's all over now.
> >

> > AR412 The Green Party is opposed to angling as a bloodsport. We will ban
> > livebaiting which is inherently cruel. The Green Party will ban the use
of
> > all lead shot / weights used by anglers which are harmful to many other
> > forms of wildlife. The Party will promote the voluntary cessation of
angling
> > through public education programmes
>
> So alright, I know I shouldn't follow politics up as I can't argue... but
!

It seems you are right.

> That doesn't ban fly I feel...
> 'livebaiting, lead shot/weights'
> No mention of artificial fly...

Naivety in the extreme if you think there will be any separation between the
angling genre. On the other hand if I was running their campaign I'd ban
livebaiting (fish)- only a small number do this not a great loss
outright ban on all lead shot
outright ban on small line sizes
increase the current coarse fishing close season to include all forms of
river/lake based angling - to protect the principle bird/wildlife breeding
season.
outright ban on trebles
outright ban on barbed hooks
outright ban on keep nets
ban removal of fish
ban on wading at certain time of the year (spawning) - followed by complete
ban
ban on use of all live baits except maggots
increase angling licence
ban night fishing
increase number of bailiffs
ban any back casting/pendulum - on interest of safety of course
ban groundbaiting

divide and conquer - once fox-hunting is banned 'they' will move onto the
next target - maybe falconery, for you to believe your sport will be in some
way exempted by the form of words they currently use is .........

Of course a quick way of creating a ban is putting a lower age limit on it -
say 18. Strangle any idea of the sport at an early age and the industry
will dry up.

..> What they going to do about Drift netting in the sea and netting of
salmon...

They will probably go for that too, and ferretting.

> --
> Nick in Northallerton
> Also nickw7coc on both Yahoo Messenger & on MSN Messenger
> And http://www.whelan.me.uk

In the cold light of day all forms of fishing using a hook and line will be
seen as 'barbaric' by those who don't fish. Unfortunately the British have
a 'wierd' pre-occupation with putting human attributes onto animals. While
that continues (can't see it changing) our sport will always be in danger.

One way we can avoid a ban (partial or otherwise) is to stick together and
get our story right. The other way would be to continue to make the sport
more inclusive and get more people involved. Our sport is still
predominently white male. How many still say 'just off fishing love, be
back about 8', instead of 'where shall we go fishing today, I'll make the
sandwiches, you sort the gear out'. I've been lucky enough to go the
florida a few times, I appreciate it's a differnent environment etc, but
I've always been struck by the number of women who go fishing. (These are
generalistic comments - don't get hung up on them - I'm sure my message is
clear)

Regards to all

And remember to where some form of eye protection when you're thrashing that
rod about. (not sure that sounds all that good either!)

Stephen