PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater fishing near Plymouth?

riverman
June 23rd, 2004, 11:29 PM
Can anyone direct me to some venues for freshwater fishing around Plymouth?
I did a web search, and found quite a bit near Exemoor and Torquay, but not
Plymouth, and no specifics for where there are good stretches of river, no
clear maps, no info on who owns the specific beats, etc. I'm mostly
interested in some streams with trout and grayling, however I would be happy
to hear about venues for Seatrout, even sal****er access. No interest at all
with lakes with carp.

TIA, TL

--riverman

Clive Perry
June 24th, 2004, 08:37 AM
"riverman" > wrote in message
> Can anyone direct me to some venues for freshwater fishing around Plymouth?
> I did a web search, and found quite a bit near Exemoor and Torquay, but not
> Plymouth, and no specifics for where there are good stretches of river, no
> clear maps, no info on who owns the specific beats, etc. I'm mostly
> interested in some streams with trout and grayling, however I would be happy
> to hear about venues for Seatrout, even sal****er access. No interest at all
> with lakes with carp.

A quick search on Google of 'fishing on dartmoor' was quite productive.

Dartmoor is closer to Plymouth than Exmoor and had many many small rivers and
streams which would appear to suit what you are looking for.

Clive

Sandy Birrell
June 24th, 2004, 08:38 AM
riverman wrote:
> Can anyone direct me to some venues for freshwater fishing around
> Plymouth? I did a web search, and found quite a bit near Exemoor and
> Torquay, but not Plymouth, and no specifics for where there are good
> stretches of river, no clear maps, no info on who owns the specific
> beats, etc. I'm mostly interested in some streams with trout and
> grayling, however I would be happy to hear about venues for Seatrout,
> even sal****er access. No interest at all with lakes with carp.
>
> TIA, TL
>
> --riverman

I don't know the area but something here might help.

http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/waterside/fishing.htm

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

David Auborn
June 24th, 2004, 11:20 PM
http://twpfishing.net/

http://www.angling2000.org.uk/

"riverman" > wrote in message
> Can anyone direct me to some venues for freshwater fishing around
Plymouth?
> I did a web search, and found quite a bit near Exemoor and Torquay, but
not
> Plymouth, and no specifics for where there are good stretches of river, no
> clear maps, no info on who owns the specific beats, etc. I'm mostly
> interested in some streams with trout and grayling, however I would be
happy
> to hear about venues for Seatrout, even sal****er access. No interest at
all
> with lakes with carp.
>
> TIA, TL
>
> --riverman

Try these:
The first has water very near to Plymouth.
http://twpfishing.net/

http://www.angling2000.org.uk/

Sam
June 26th, 2004, 09:59 AM
"riverman" > wrote in message
> Can anyone direct me to some venues for freshwater fishing around
Plymouth?
SNIP

Hi Riverman,

I lived in Plymouth for a while and although I moved away some time ago I
believe the following will still be ok.

For a start most if not all of the river and lake fishing is predominately
wild brown territory. The only stocked lake I remember was Drakes Reservoir
which was near Hemerdon (nr Plympton). There was great pub there as well
which served great pint of Bass off the barrel which went really well with a
Dewdney's pasty!

Reservoir fishing - Burrator which is to the North of the city near
Yelverton. This is run by South West Water and is stocked with some rainbows
up to 2lb, although most fish will be less than a pound. There is a good
head of wild trout here as well and they are a joy to catch. The best bank
to fish off is the Esat bank (Sheepstor side) where a natural spit comes
out. It can seem a bit daunting as a lake but I have had some great early
and late evening fishing up there. Tickets used to be sold at the Burrator
Inn (Dousland) and used to be no more than £2.50 for the day!

Rivers - Apart from the Tamar, Tavy and Plym most of the rivers are small
and offer great brownie fishing (6ft rod needed in most cases)

Tamar - Mostly tidal all the way up to Gunnislake wear and is mostly given
over to Salmon nets and private salmon beats. If you ask around there will
be some beats available above Gunnislake.

Tavy - Like its cousin the Tavy is tidal all the way up to Fishacre Wood
where it promptly dissapears up its own backside. There are some beats all
the way up to Tavistock but again they are mostly privately owned. I knocked
on few farmers doors who were happy for me to fish a 1/2 mile or so of the
river going through their land. A few salmon can be caught but again some
very good brown trout.

Plym - Fed by Burrator reservoir this river is mostly unfishable in th
elower reaches due to caravan sites and good old "joe public". The river is
a magnet for locals wanting to dip their feet in the river and it can very
crowded in the summer. My favourite spot was Bickleigh Vale. Not a lot of
bank clearance but a lot of exploring with waders produced some good fish.

After that is motly exploring the tribs and smaller rivers - again all brown
trout. They are:- Yealm, Erme, Lynher (Cornwall side).

Finally, there are loads of great sal****er spots where some great Mullet,
Bass and Mackeral can be caught. If you wanr further details then let me
knwo.

Cheers

Sakman

riverman
June 26th, 2004, 10:12 AM
"Sam" > wrote in message
.. .

> "riverman" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone direct me to some venues for freshwater fishing around
> Plymouth?
> SNIP
>
> Hi Riverman,
>
> I lived in Plymouth for a while and although I moved away some time ago I
> believe the following will still be ok.

Excellent info, Sakman! Just what I was looking for. Tell me more about the
salt water fishing, too. I'm off tomorrow to the Plym, but my memory from
last year was that it was a trickle with only a few fish; mostly little
8-10" browns. I also found that the piece between Buckleigh Bridge and
Shaugh Brigde was the most remote and had the best potential, although it
was like fishing a shoelace-sized creek with a few bathtub-sized pools. I
migh rearrange my plan and go to Burrator.

Tell me more!

--riverman

Sam
June 27th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Ahh, that's the problem with most of the rivers in the region. Nice and wide
at the sea but narrow down to almost a trickle very quickly.

Keep an eye on the weather for Burrator. Due to the altitude, the wind chill
can cool the water down very quickly and the wind can make it a very gnarly
place to fish.

As for the sal****er fishing I would recommend the following places. You
need to bear in mind they take a bit of getting too (well worth it though!)

Rame Head round to Penlee point - There is a car park at either end of the
peninsula, I prefer the one at the Rame end with the chapel. There is a
small cove which you can explore along the cliff line at water level. It is
quite a climb in places and keep an eye on the tide at all times. I have had
some good bass off here together with mackeral, pollack and some garfish. At
the Penlee end you have farther to walk but the platforms are a little
better and you can fish the grotto and pier cellars.

Andurn Point and Heybrook Bay - Other side of The Sound. You need to go
through Down Thomas and down to Heybrook Bay. Just be aware that HMS
Cambridge is around the corner and when they are doing live firing it can
make you jump!

Hope this helps.

Sam

"riverman" > wrote in message

> "Sam" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "riverman" > wrote in message
> > > Can anyone direct me to some venues for freshwater fishing around
> > Plymouth?
> > SNIP
> >
> > Hi Riverman,
> >
> > I lived in Plymouth for a while and although I moved away some time ago
> > believe the following will still be ok.
> >

> Excellent info, Sakman! Just what I was looking for. Tell me more about
the
> salt water fishing, too. I'm off tomorrow to the Plym, but my memory from
> last year was that it was a trickle with only a few fish; mostly little
> 8-10" browns. I also found that the piece between Buckleigh Bridge and
> Shaugh Brigde was the most remote and had the best potential, although it
> was like fishing a shoelace-sized creek with a few bathtub-sized pools. I
> migh rearrange my plan and go to Burrator.
>
> Tell me more!
>
> --riverman

riverman
June 27th, 2004, 08:52 PM
"Sam" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ahh, that's the problem with most of the rivers in the region. Nice and
wide
> at the sea but narrow down to almost a trickle very quickly.
>
> Keep an eye on the weather for Burrator. Due to the altitude, the wind
chill
> can cool the water down very quickly and the wind can make it a very
gnarly
> place to fish.
>
> As for the sal****er fishing I would recommend the following places. You
> need to bear in mind they take a bit of getting too (well worth it
though!)

> Rame Head round to Penlee point - There is a car park at either end of the
> peninsula, I prefer the one at the Rame end with the chapel. There is a
> small cove which you can explore along the cliff line at water level. It
is
> quite a climb in places and keep an eye on the tide at all times. I have
had
> some good bass off here together with mackeral, pollack and some garfish.
At
> the Penlee end you have farther to walk but the platforms are a little
> better and you can fish the grotto and pier cellars.
>
> Andurn Point and Heybrook Bay - Other side of The Sound. You need to go
> through Down Thomas and down to Heybrook Bay. Just be aware that HMS
> Cambridge is around the corner and when they are doing live firing it can
> make you jump!
>
> Hope this helps.

I'm sure it will, and thanks!

I got a friend to drive me out to the Shaugh Bridge on the Plym this
evening. Typical group trip: he was going to take <me> so I could fish, and
then another classmate who flyfishes decided to come along. Then his wife,
then two other women from my program....next thing there are 6 of us. I'm
all ready to leave at 6pm, the arranged time. The wife is ready at 6:30, the
wimmenfolk aren't ready until 7pm, so we don't get all crammed into the car
until 7:15. I'm finally on the stream swinging nymphs at around 7:45, and by
9pm, the ladies want to go home because they're getting chilly. Argh.

The good news is that there is a bike path right from the University to
Buckleigh bridge, and a bus right from here to the Shaugh bridge. The fish
were biting: in that hour-fifteen, I caught three (smallish) brownies, my
friend landed two and had one break off a #5 tippet. We're both psyched to
less than a half hour bike ride from here. But next time, we leave the
wimmenfolk behind!!!

Thanks for clueing me in. I'll let you know about the SWFF when I get out
there.

--riverman

W. D. Grey
June 27th, 2004, 10:40 PM
In article >, riverman >
writes
>The good news is that there is a bike path right from the University to
>Buckleigh bridge, and a bus right from here to the Shaugh bridge. The fish
>were biting: in that hour-fifteen, I caught three (smallish) brownies, my
>friend landed two and had one break off a #5 tippet. We're both psyched to
>less than a half hour bike ride from here. But next time, we leave the
>wimmenfolk behind!!!

Hi Myron,

Glad to hear you're getting in some decent sport. The fish in Wales are
very shy - they hide from Merkins :-)

We've had some rain and my local river attracted a couple of anglers
today- they were spinning (how crude!)! I saw a few trout rising now
that the level is higher. I can't get the enthusiasm to fish locally
though.

I've yet to get hold of a #5 DT floating line to try out my new 7' -6"
rod. No rush but I will give it a try soon. The action seem quite tippy.

Regards and keep well.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk