PDA

View Full Version : fishing in winter

steve dorman
November 11th, 2003, 12:08 PM
do you prefer fishing in the summer or winter

Izaak
November 11th, 2003, 01:10 PM
"steve dorman" > wrote in message
> do you prefer fishing in the summer or winter

Definitely in summer. The days are longer and there's much less chance of
having a blank day. I've had some lovely days fishing in winter but for
every good day there's at least one, usually more, where it's grey, gloomy,
windswept, raining/snowing or just otherwise not very nice to be there.
Izaak

Phil.L
November 11th, 2003, 03:57 PM
steve dorman wrote:
: do you prefer fishing in the summer or winter

definately summer!
Not just because the fishing itself is better as I've had blank days even
when its hot, but because there's more to see and occupy the waits between
bites - the dragonflies hovvering around the float, the fry in the shallows
swarming all over your (sometimes purposely!) errant groundbait, the
undergrowth and hedges brimming with birds and other wildlife and nearly
always a cheeky one coming in for a few dropped maggots - sometimes I'll
stay all day when it's nice as there's nothing better than to be right in
there amongst it all when summer's here.

me /pines for summer/ :((

Ergo
November 11th, 2003, 04:44 PM
steve dorman wrote:
> do you prefer fishing in the summer or winter

Yes. Anytime will do. Just got back from Horam Manor in Sussex. 6 hours of
hard work on small carp, biggest 3½lbs mirror. Just lots of them to a total
weight of 40½ lbs.

--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Peter Cliff
November 14th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Yes, I basically agree with all your sentiments, plus in summer the
nights are much shorter and warmer so you can fish comfortably or camp
out until dawn.

However... winter is great for fishing rivers. Wrap up warm and roam the
river bank dropping in likely looking swims. Hot soup and sarnies help
as well!

Peter
--
Peter Cliff
Fisheries.co.uk

Fisheries.co.uk protects its systems with Norton AntiVirus to ensure
incoming and outgoing e-mails are virus free. We cannot accept
liability for any damage sustained and advise you to run your own
virus check before opening attachments.

Derek.Moody
November 14th, 2003, 06:53 PM
In article >, steve dorman
> wrote:
> do you prefer fishing in the summer or winter

Coarse fish are in much better condition in the winter and quite often (esp
in rivers) the better fish wlll feed all day whereas in summer you might as
well not bother except for an hour either side of sunrise/set.

To answser the question though - no. Spring and autumn are better.

Cheerio,

--

leigh holman
November 18th, 2003, 10:25 PM
defiantly winter,
The fishing's more challenging, the fish are usually at there best
weights, there are fewer anglers about and you can fish from dawn till dusk
and still get a decent nights kip.
p.s. you cant beat a bacon butie cooked on the bank on a cold frosty
morning.