PDA

View Full Version : Stoves?

Danny
November 12th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Hi, any recommendations on cooking stoves?

Gas seems to be the tidiest, but I am open to suggestions, as I have
absolutely no idea what to look for in a stove.

All I want it for is basic cooking. IE/ Eggs, bacon, water for coffee/pot
noodles, etc.

Cheers.

Ergo
November 12th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Danny wrote:
> Hi, any recommendations on cooking stoves?
>
> Gas seems to be the tidiest, but I am open to suggestions, as I have
> absolutely no idea what to look for in a stove.
>
> All I want it for is basic cooking. IE/ Eggs, bacon, water for
> coffee/pot noodles, etc.
>
> Cheers.

Go to one of these camping shops and buy youself a Trangier. Three bowls in
one, a kettle with enough water to shave and have breakfast, cook all your
breakfeast and coffee. Extra water into the flask for coffee.

--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Izaak
November 12th, 2003, 09:10 PM
"Ergo" > wrote in message
> Danny wrote:
> > Hi, any recommendations on cooking stoves?
> >
> > Gas seems to be the tidiest, but I am open to suggestions, as I have
> > absolutely no idea what to look for in a stove.
> Go to one of these camping shops and buy youself a Trangier. Three bowls
in
> one, a kettle with enough water to shave and have breakfast, cook all your
> breakfeast and coffee. Extra water into the flask for coffee.

Yes, you'll get the best choice in a camping shop but, if there isn't one
nearby, Milletts do small gas stoves + pot & pan combos.

Gray
November 12th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I've got me caravan so full gas stove for hot
fridge for COLD beer (and Vodka)
Heating for cold nights
spare ice box for maggots

"Danny" > wrote in message
> Hi, any recommendations on cooking stoves?
>
> Gas seems to be the tidiest, but I am open to suggestions, as I have
> absolutely no idea what to look for in a stove.
>
> All I want it for is basic cooking. IE/ Eggs, bacon, water for coffee/pot
> noodles, etc.
>
> Cheers.

---

Goldeneye
November 12th, 2003, 10:26 PM
I would reccomend against the Trangia myself as meths is diffficult to burn
when it is cold (unless you get the gas conversion). I personally prefer
petrol stoves as you can always fill them up! However the new
propane/butane mix gas stoves with fuel pre-heaters are also very good

Richard
November 12th, 2003, 11:09 PM
"Goldeneye" > wrote in message
> I would reccomend against the Trangia myself as meths is diffficult to
burn
> when it is cold (unless you get the gas conversion). I personally prefer
> petrol stoves as you can always fill them up! However the new
> propane/butane mix gas stoves with fuel pre-heaters are also very good

Some don't like petrol stoves as they 'feel' the smell may contaminate food
and bait.

The comments re propane/butane mix are spot on though. With Butane you can
have trouble in relatively mild weather (4 C) but the 'mix' works well to
very low temperatures.

I am an 'all year' caravanner also and use propane in that for the same
reason.

Richard

---

John
November 13th, 2003, 12:57 AM
You won't go wrong with a coleman sportster 533 dual fuel. They run on
unleaded petrol and are mighty powerful. Even in cold, wet and windy
conditions they boil a kettle in no time. I have used one for years and
found them very hard wearing and reliable.

John

--
Remove P's and BEANZ from to reply
"Danny" > wrote in message
> Hi, any recommendations on cooking stoves?
>
> Gas seems to be the tidiest, but I am open to suggestions, as I have
> absolutely no idea what to look for in a stove.
>
> All I want it for is basic cooking. IE/ Eggs, bacon, water for coffee/pot
> noodles, etc.
>
> Cheers.

rob
November 13th, 2003, 08:44 AM
i use a sportster as well and keep a lenth of tubing with a in line filter
fitted in my car for refilling
but these stoves have been known to clog up
i put a dash of redex in and have had no probs up to now
the cheapest is the campig gas stove i think it is a 206
the cartridges for these can be had for a quid a time and last a good while
i tend to use one of these mostly
because they are light and cheap to run

"John" > wrote in message
> You won't go wrong with a coleman sportster 533 dual fuel. They run on
> unleaded petrol and are mighty powerful. Even in cold, wet and windy
> conditions they boil a kettle in no time. I have used one for years and
> found them very hard wearing and reliable.
>
> John
>
> --
> Remove P's and BEANZ from to reply
> "Danny" > wrote in message
> > Hi, any recommendations on cooking stoves?
> >
> > Gas seems to be the tidiest, but I am open to suggestions, as I have
> > absolutely no idea what to look for in a stove.
> >
> > All I want it for is basic cooking. IE/ Eggs, bacon, water for
coffee/pot
> > noodles, etc.
> >
> > Cheers.

Danny
November 13th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Sounds good! And the look on the bailiffs face would be hilarious when I
park a caravan on the peg. ;-)))

"Gray" > wrote in message
> I've got me caravan so full gas stove for hot
> fridge for COLD beer (and Vodka)
> Heating for cold nights
> spare ice box for maggots

Danny
November 13th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Do you 'taste' the fuel in your cooking?

"John" > wrote in message
> You won't go wrong with a coleman sportster 533 dual fuel. They run on
> unleaded petrol and are mighty powerful. Even in cold, wet and windy
> conditions they boil a kettle in no time. I have used one for years and
> found them very hard wearing and reliable.
>
> John

Johnny5
November 13th, 2003, 08:42 PM
I too have the Coleman unleaded petrol stove and cook on it every week
during the winter months on the riverbank, no you dont taste the fuel at
all, they are economical, efficient and easy to use.
"Danny" > wrote in message
> Do you 'taste' the fuel in your cooking?
>

> "John" > wrote in message
> > You won't go wrong with a coleman sportster 533 dual fuel. They run on
> > unleaded petrol and are mighty powerful. Even in cold, wet and windy
> > conditions they boil a kettle in no time. I have used one for years and
> > found them very hard wearing and reliable.
> >
> > John

Jim Murray
November 14th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Would agree the Colemans are great. When placed in front of a brolly on a
cold day will even act as a space heater!

I got a Shimano stove bag a couple of years ago and it takes the stove, fuel
bottles and kettle as well.

Got sent an Eydon(like a Kelly) kettle last week as a magazine prize. Can't
see it taking over from the Coleman though, cheers,

While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
lake/river/canal water?

Jim.

"Johnny5" > wrote in message
> I too have the Coleman unleaded petrol stove and cook on it every week
> during the winter months on the riverbank, no you dont taste the fuel at
> all, they are economical, efficient and easy to use.
> "Danny" > wrote in message
> > Do you 'taste' the fuel in your cooking?
> >

> > "John" > wrote in message
> > > You won't go wrong with a coleman sportster 533 dual fuel. They run on
> > > unleaded petrol and are mighty powerful. Even in cold, wet and windy
> > > conditions they boil a kettle in no time. I have used one for years
and
> > > found them very hard wearing and reliable.
> > >
> > > John

Ergo
November 14th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Jim Murray wrote:
<snip>
While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
> lake/river/canal water?
>
> Jim.

I should imagine river is better than canal or lake. You can buy water
purification tablets from some camping store. You still have to boil the
water really well and for use in an emergency only. Safer to take fresh if
you can. You could run the risk of Leptospirosis amongst other things.
Believe me that would serverely cock up your fishing. 8-?
--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!
www.eric-gales.co.uk

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Jim Murray
November 14th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Just as I suspected, Ergo, though I've drunk many cups of tea made with
water from lochs in Scotland. Even though that's probably about as safe as
you'll get in the UK, you never know what might have just flown overhead and
decided to contribute to your lunch;0)

Think I'll stick with taking fresh, got a couple of Platypus water-carriers
from the camping store, very good and roll up small when empty.

Jim.

"Ergo" > wrote in message
> Jim Murray wrote:
> <snip>
> While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
> > lake/river/canal water?
> >
> > Jim.
> >
> I should imagine river is better than canal or lake. You can buy water
> purification tablets from some camping store. You still have to boil the
> water really well and for use in an emergency only. Safer to take fresh if
> you can. You could run the risk of Leptospirosis amongst other things.
> Believe me that would serverely cock up your fishing. 8-?
> --
> Ergo ²°°³
> A day without sunshine is like, well, night!
> www.eric-gales.co.uk
>

> ---
> Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

John
November 14th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Boiling the water will kill parasites and most bacteria present but it won't
remove any chemicals which may have got in from farmers fields etc.
--
"Jim Murray" > wrote in message

> While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
> lake/river/canal water?

Danny
November 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Boiling works - just bringing a pot of water to rolling boil will wipe out
everything you'd need to worry about as far as bacteria and viruses (boil
longer at higher elevations), but does little for mud or chemicals in the
water. Now you have hot muddy water

You can use a hand pump water filter. You can buy portable water filters at
any store that sells camping equipment. They have a bottle with a pump
handle on one end and a tube on the other end. The tube gets placed in the
watersource (lake, stream, etc.) and then you pump the water which gets
filtered and goes into the bottle. Then you can drink the filtered water out
of the bottle!

You can also use water purification pills, aka iodine pills.

So, if you pump the water with a portable filter, and then boil it, you
should be pretty safe. And if you go one step further and then add water
puritication tablets, then I don't think you can go wrong.

http://www.katadyn.net/waterfilters.html Rubbish site, but may give you an
insight into their filters.

"Jim Murray" > wrote in message
> Would agree the Colemans are great. When placed in front of a brolly on a
> cold day will even act as a space heater!
>
> I got a Shimano stove bag a couple of years ago and it takes the stove,
fuel
> bottles and kettle as well.
>
> Got sent an Eydon(like a Kelly) kettle last week as a magazine prize.
Can't
> see it taking over from the Coleman though, cheers,
>
> While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
> lake/river/canal water?
>
> Jim.
>
> "Johnny5" > wrote in message
> > I too have the Coleman unleaded petrol stove and cook on it every week
> > during the winter months on the riverbank, no you dont taste the fuel at
> > all, they are economical, efficient and easy to use.
> > "Danny" > wrote in message
> > > Do you 'taste' the fuel in your cooking?

> and

Derek.Moody
November 14th, 2003, 07:03 PM
In article >, Jim Murray
> wrote:

> While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
> lake/river/canal water?

-Boiled- is fine. Note though that if you wash your crockery in cold river
water and then eat off it there is a chance you have consumed unboiled bugs.
I will occasionally drink direct from the river or lake - but not the waters
I coarse fish. Be especially cautious on slow waters where there is a large
rat population.

Boiled is ok though.

Cheerio,

--

Derek.Moody
November 14th, 2003, 08:23 PM
In article >, John
> wrote:
> Boiling the water will kill parasites and most bacteria present but it won't
> remove any chemicals which may have got in from farmers fields etc.

If the fish are still alive there won't be eniugh of anything in a cuppa to
hurt you. You should avoid taking water from downstream of road/storm
drains though - or anywhere below a built up area (people will pour all
sorts of stuff down outside drains not realising that many discharge
straight into waterways.).

Cheerio,

--

Bob
November 16th, 2003, 12:35 PM
I would not touch a Coleman with a barge pole. My mate and I had one and
set it going in a winshield between out bivvy's whilst it was boiling the
kettle we had a run and left it for a few minutes, The damned thing
exploded and took both our bivvy's and the stuff inside them. It seemed
according to the fire brigade that it had a faulty seal - I wrote to
Colemens twice and had no response. It cost me any my mate about 3 grand
between us to repolace everything - fortuanately we were insured.

Be warned.