PDA

View Full Version : A fish with a chin

SRH
November 16th, 2003, 05:15 PM
I'm looking for the name for a fishthat develops a hooked lower
jaw during its breeding season, such as a trout or salmon.

I would appreciate suggestions/ pointers/ etc.

Brownz
November 16th, 2003, 06:07 PM
"SRH" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm looking for the name for a fishthat develops a hooked lower
> jaw during its breeding season, such as a trout or salmon.
> I would appreciate suggestions/ pointers/ etc.

The male Atlantic salmon develops a pronounced hooked jaw (known as a
"kype").

Cheers - Brownz

Gray
November 16th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Have you tried Google for an answer???

the only thing is it's only Males that develop this ?? as a courtship
display

for a glossary this is useful
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater/fishatlas/glossary.htm

--
Regards
Gray

http://www.madcaravanner.co.uk

"Brownz" > wrote in message
> "SRH" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I'm looking for the name for a fishthat develops a hooked lower
> > jaw during its breeding season, such as a trout or salmon.
> > I would appreciate suggestions/ pointers/ etc.
>
> The male Atlantic salmon develops a pronounced hooked jaw (known as a
> "kype").
>
> Cheers - Brownz

---

SRH
November 18th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Gray skrev:

> Have you tried Google for an answer???

Yep, but I didn't know what I'm looking for. Now that I know it's
called a kype, I have been able to find out that trout develop
them, as well as salmon.

Simon R. Hughes
November 18th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Thus spake Brownz:

> "SRH" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I'm looking for the name for a fishthat develops a hooked lower
>> jaw during its breeding season, such as a trout or salmon.
>> I would appreciate suggestions/ pointers/ etc.
>
> The male Atlantic salmon develops a pronounced hooked jaw (known as a
> "kype").

Having searched for "kype"+"trout", I find that theirs is also
called a kype.

Thanks for the help.

--
Simon R. Hughes