PDA

View Full Version : Winter Carp. How Much Bait?

Brian
December 13th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Hi. Do people generally spod in winter to get Carp? Or is this too much
food? How much is too much food?

Maybe a stringer or a small PVA would be more appropriate?

Phil L
December 13th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Brian wrote:
> Hi. Do people generally spod in winter to get Carp? Or is this too
> much food? How much is too much food?
In summer you can spod all you like but in winter they'll fill up quicker
and move on without you getting a bite.

> Maybe a stringer or a small PVA would be more appropriate?

If you are using boilies or halibut pellets yes, but they arent easily
digested and I'd opt for maggots or even legered bread for better results.

Brian
December 16th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Again, sounds good.

I read somewhere that someone put Halibut pellets in his 'Pond/lake', and
ended up going mouldy before his fish (Koi I expect) ate them.

"Phil L" > wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
> > Hi. Do people generally spod in winter to get Carp? Or is this too
> > much food? How much is too much food?
> In summer you can spod all you like but in winter they'll fill up quicker
> and move on without you getting a bite.
> >
> > Maybe a stringer or a small PVA would be more appropriate?
>
> If you are using boilies or halibut pellets yes, but they arent easily
> digested and I'd opt for maggots or even legered bread for better results.

Richard
December 16th, 2003, 10:56 PM
"Brian" > wrote in message
> Again, sounds good.
>
> I read somewhere that someone put Halibut pellets in his 'Pond/lake', and
> ended up going mouldy before his fish (Koi I expect) ate them.

snip

Very oily pellet so not a good choice, same as trout and betaine.

If you are going to use pellet CSL is more attractive to the fish and breaks
down better in winter.

Spodding or not depends on the water and stock of fish etc but you still
wouldn't spod by far anywhere near the same amount as you would on the same
water in the summer ... it will just kill the swim off. I would go for a
small (golf ball size) of appropriate feed including 3/4 freebie hook baits.

Richard

---