PDA

View Full Version : Scottish pike trip.

Phil L
December 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM
We got back from Loch Ken on Tuesday having spent four days on a pike hunt.
Three of us went, all had two rods out deadbaiting sardines and spratt and
only one pike shown up!
It was a medium sized bugger with big teeth and it was caught by my brother
on the first day - I estimated it to be about 6lb, which isn't big but
better than nothing...
On the last day, after an enormous breakfast of haggis, bacon, eggs and
beans we decided to call off the pike capers and head South on our way home,
but soon decided as we got near Carlisle that we'd call into Lake Ullswater
and see if there was any trout about (we go there 3 or 4 times a year but
usually in summer) there was a bloke from the National Trust came around
chatting as we were setting up, 'You'll not see any trout, maybe a perch or
two - if your lucky!'
In we launched six swimfeeders full of the most lethargic maggots I've ever
seen (I'd estimate that at least half of 'em was dead before we got out of
the shop!)
We all had two rods out again but only one of them did anything - mine!
I had a small one of about a pound, into the bag it went, then had about
five runs, one of them was a biggish fish but i never got any of these in -
there was a thick band of weed over which we were casting- Then I caught my
second about 1lb 8oz, also into the bag, I had at least ten more runs and
let quite a few go as they were too small for the table, but a good day was
had by me, the other two didnt get a bite!
I had my two trout on a bed of chips for tea the following day and enjoyed
them for the second time!

David Lee
December 14th, 2003, 01:20 PM
You should have went for the Bream phil!

Dave
www.cscac.co.uk