PDA

View Full Version : Fly's

Harry
December 21st, 2003, 06:39 PM
Anyone know a good reliable fly for fishing? Nymphs stick in my mind for
some reason.

I want them to float on the surface by the way.

Phil L
December 21st, 2003, 08:03 PM
Harry wrote:
:: Anyone know a good reliable fly for fishing? Nymphs stick in my
:: mind for some reason.
::
:: I want them to float on the surface by the way.

Hmmm, you'd be better off asking in the other groups, try these:

Be warned that these last two are worldwide, so you may get some answers
that are based on American or Austrailian tackle and methods etc.

HTH

Derek.Moody
December 21st, 2003, 09:06 PM
In article >, Harry
> wrote:
> Anyone know a good reliable fly for fishing? Nymphs stick in my mind for
> some reason.
>
> I want them to float on the surface by the way.

Just one?

Nymphs are usually fished at or just below the surface btw though they can
be used deep.

Different flies and flyfishing methods apply for different species of fish in
different venues and they vary with the season.

I might use something small and black for summer dace or huge and gaudy for
pike. Chub will take s popper, daddy-longlegs or general fuzzy bumble,
grayling a Sawyer bug or roach a black and peacock spider - but each of
those would be used in a different time and place.

Just about everything will attack a mayfly or a big sedge - IF used at the
right time and place.

Tell us a bit more about the waters you intend to fish and when and maybe
we'll be able to be more specific.

Cheerio,

--

Harry
December 25th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Hi Derek.

Basically, when I have been summer Carping, I noticed that a lot of carp
will readily take flies off the surface. However, they are a lot more
cautious of Dog Biscuits.

So, I thought, what if I was to try a floating fly instead this summer?

"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message

> Just one?
>
> Nymphs are usually fished at or just below the surface btw though they can
> be used deep.
>
> Different flies and flyfishing methods apply for different species of fish
in
> different venues and they vary with the season.
>
> I might use something small and black for summer dace or huge and gaudy
for
> pike. Chub will take s popper, daddy-longlegs or general fuzzy bumble,
> grayling a Sawyer bug or roach a black and peacock spider - but each of
> those would be used in a different time and place.
>
> Just about everything will attack a mayfly or a big sedge - IF used at the
> right time and place.
>
> Tell us a bit more about the waters you intend to fish and when and maybe
> we'll be able to be more specific.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

Gray
December 25th, 2003, 03:33 PM
"Harry" > wrote in message
> Hi Derek.
> So, I thought, what if I was to try a floating fly instead this summer?

I'd go for it 'cos I've done and its SCARY when your fly reel goes berserk
just after the Carp realises it's been fooled

--
Merry Christmas

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

---

Derek.Moody
December 26th, 2003, 05:35 PM
In article >, Harry
> wrote:
> Hi Derek.
>
> Basically, when I have been summer Carping, I noticed that a lot of carp
> will readily take flies off the surface. However, they are a lot more
> cautious of Dog Biscuits.
>
> So, I thought, what if I was to try a floating fly instead this summer?

try it and see :-)

I've only ever had one smallish carp on a nondescript nymph and lost another
on a goldhead. One of my friends has had a couple on goldheads too - but I
have seen a ten pounder landed on a booby.

Godheads are weighted nymphs and boobies, while bouyant, are fished close to
the bottom on a sinking line.

All this really means is that I don't fish for carp with a fly unless I'm
making some sort of point - otoh in the same waters if they're present rudd
are very willing to have a go at a floating fly. Roach are a little less
willing to come up but if there's a fall of flying ants you can get a whole
shoal feeding on the top.

Cheerio,