PDA

View Full Version : Piking with Mice ?

Brownz
December 22nd, 2003, 10:09 PM
Hi all,

I bought this little fella today.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/mouse.jpg
I quite often see pike and chub taking stuff from the surface of the weir
pools where we fish.
So, I'm after a bit of advice on how to use it and get it out there in the
middle - PS - Its bouyant and floats.
I'm kinda guessing a zeppler style float with a couple of swanshot a lá
deadbaiting with pike float.
Then slowly bring it back across an leave it close in to where the pike hang
out.
Any tips welcome, has anyone else used these with any success ?
I also notice there is some line tyed to the eye (or should that be nose)
whice is braided round on to the hook shank - see picture ?
Any idea what thats for ?

Cheerz - Brownz
http://fishing.brownz.org/

Derek.Moody
December 23rd, 2003, 12:59 AM
In article >, Brownz
> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought this little fella today.
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/mouse.jpg
> I quite often see pike and chub taking stuff from the surface of the weir
> pools where we fish.
> So, I'm after a bit of advice on how to use it and get it out there in the
> middle - PS - Its bouyant and floats.
> I'm kinda guessing a zeppler style float with a couple of swanshot a lá
> deadbaiting with pike float.

Fly rod and line.

> Then slowly bring it back across an leave it close in to where the pike hang
> out.

Lots of fussy, ripplemaking wasted motion. Keep it more or less moving. Give
it the odd popper-style jerk.

> Any tips welcome, has anyone else used these with any success ?
> I also notice there is some line tyed to the eye (or should that be nose)
> whice is braided round on to the hook shank - see picture ?
> Any idea what thats for ?

It's a weedguard, as long as you don't slam it into trouble it should glide
over most floating weeds.

Cheerio,

--

Brownz
December 23rd, 2003, 01:24 AM
"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, Brownz
> > wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I bought this little fella today.
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/mouse.jpg
> > I'm kinda guessing a zeppler style float with a couple of swanshot a lá
> > deadbaiting with pike float.
> Fly rod and line.

Which I don't have, so I might get away with my short and whippy spinning
rod ?

> > Then slowly bring it back across an leave it close in to where the pike
hang
> > out.
> Lots of fussy, ripplemaking wasted motion. Keep it more or less moving.
Give
> it the odd popper-style jerk.

So, worth giving it a go in the winter ?
I know that I've caught pike on diving plugs during the colder months, they
tend to inhabit the deeper waters am I right ?

> > Any tips welcome, has anyone else used these with any success ?
> > I also notice there is some line tyed to the eye (or should that be
nose)
> > whice is braided round on to the hook shank - see picture ?
> > Any idea what thats for ?
> It's a weedguard, as long as you don't slam it into trouble it should
glide
> over most floating weeds.
> Cheerio,

Ahhh, kinda guessed it was there to keep the hook out of trouble, just had
never seen one before.

Cheerz - Brownz
(out for a sesh tomorrow, I'll let ya know how it faired).

Derek.Moody
December 23rd, 2003, 12:14 PM
In article >, Brownz
> wrote:

> > Fly rod and line.
>
> Which I don't have, so I might get away with my short and whippy spinning
> rod ?

Maybe - is it meaty enough to set the hook? Don't forget to include a short
wire trace.

The risk with a surface lure and any other floats/controllers up the line is
that a fish is quite likely to attack the interesting blobby thing the mouse
is apparently chasing.

You don't say how big it is but I bet chub would be interested too.

> > > Then slowly bring it back across an leave it close in to where the pike
> hang
> > > out.
> > Lots of fussy, ripplemaking wasted motion. Keep it more or less moving.
> Give
> > it the odd popper-style jerk.
>
> So, worth giving it a go in the winter ?

It'a really a midsummer lure but who knows ;-)

> I know that I've caught pike on diving plugs during the colder months, they
> tend to inhabit the deeper waters am I right ?

A safe rule of thumb but they do also come into remarkably shallow water.

> (out for a sesh tomorrow, I'll let ya know how it faired).

Please do, I'm on panic shopping :-(

Cheerio,

--

Brownz
December 23rd, 2003, 09:40 PM
"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, Brownz
> > wrote:
> > > Fly rod and line.
> > Which I don't have, so I might get away with my short and whippy
spinning
> > rod ?
> Maybe - is it meaty enough to set the hook? Don't forget to include a
short
> wire trace.
> The risk with a surface lure and any other floats/controllers up the line
is
> that a fish is quite likely to attack the interesting blobby thing the
mouse
> is apparently chasing.

I know this only two well..... I've had a pike take a swim feeder from the
line on the weir pools at Sutton Courtenay.
I've also had one burst a pike float when retrieving a dead bait !

> You don't say how big it is but I bet chub would be interested too.

Its about the size of a large thumb, I think the chub would definately go
for them, I've had chub on wasp style spinners before.

> > hang
> > > Lots of fussy, ripplemaking wasted motion. Keep it more or less
moving.
> > Give
> > > it the odd popper-style jerk.
> > So, worth giving it a go in the winter ?
> It'a really a midsummer lure but who knows ;-)
> > I know that I've caught pike on diving plugs during the colder months,
they
> > tend to inhabit the deeper waters am I right ?
> A safe rule of thumb but they do also come into remarkably shallow water.
> > (out for a sesh tomorrow, I'll let ya know how it faired).

Weir pools were unfishable, all the weir gates were open, far too much swell
and the water was muddy as hell.
I ended up going over to Linear Fisheries and chucking a couple of carp rods
out.
(No luck their either !!)

> Please do, I'm on panic shopping :-(

Ha - did mine on Monday :-) I only got stuck for about an hour in traffic
trying to get out of Oxford ;-(

> Cheerio,

Cheerz - Brownz

Harry
December 25th, 2003, 03:19 PM
What's Linear fishing like at the moment for Carp and Pike?

"Brownz" > wrote in message

> Weir pools were unfishable, all the weir gates were open, far too much
swell
> and the water was muddy as hell.
> I ended up going over to Linear Fisheries and chucking a couple of carp
rods
> out.
> (No luck their either !!)

Brownz
December 26th, 2003, 01:47 PM
"Harry" > wrote in message
> What's Linear fishing like at the moment for Carp and Pike?
> "Brownz" > wrote in message
> > Weir pools were unfishable, all the weir gates were open, far too much
> swell
> > and the water was muddy as hell.
> > I ended up going over to Linear Fisheries and chucking a couple of carp
> rods
> > out.
> > (No luck their either !!)

There was a fair few their when I went.
Talked to Roy, fishing was slow, water temp down to 0.6°C I think he said.
I had 1 run about 3pm ish, but it got off after about 2mins (doh!).
That was on a hair rig with three pieces of vanilla sweetcorn and one
floating piece, and a hook full of mixed maggots.
Its the first time I've ever visited, and to tell the truth, first time I've
ever been carp fishing !

Cheerz - Brownz