PDA

View Full Version : Eating Course fish

Tallspoon
December 25th, 2003, 01:42 PM
I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me started
for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish caught in canals
such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and will be fishing over here
and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.

Ergo
December 25th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Tallspoon wrote:
> I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me
> started for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish
> caught in canals such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and
> will be fishing over here and would be grateful if anyone could give
> me some advice.

They tend to taste muddy and are often very boney. Carp has long been a
favourite with monks and the continentals. If you must eat them, keep them
alive and swimming in fresh clean water for a day or so, then brine them
well overnight, wash thoroughly. Don't overcook them, serve with a little
holandaise sauce. :)

--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Gray
December 25th, 2003, 03:32 PM
"Tallspoon" > wrote in message
> I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me started
> for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish caught in canals
> such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and will be fishing over
here
> and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.

Mike

In the UK Course fish MUST be returned to the water where caught Don't know
about Eire

If on the Continent You can eat your catch and forget all the C*** about it
tasting muddy that is folk lore put about by snobby foodies who prefer Trout
IMO the fish I have eaten sur le continent have all had a wonderful taste
and 99% taste better than trout especially Bream
You just have to watch out for the bones Especially in Pike

--
Merry Christmas

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

---

Hoot!!!
December 25th, 2003, 04:55 PM
If I were you dont eat the fish in the uk.
If you are seen by another fisherman you might end up with the rod shoved
where the sun dont shine.
Just go to the chip shop

Enjoy fishing

Catch then release

sofasurfa
December 25th, 2003, 05:55 PM
"Gray" > wrote in message
<snip>

> In the UK Course fish MUST be returned to the water where caught Don't
know
> about Eire

Not true. Regions and fisheries have bye laws relating to what may and may
not be taken. Furthermore, clubs and fishery owners have their own
additional rules relating to the removal of fish from their waters. Anyone
wishing to take coarse fish from waters in the UK should check the bye laws
in their region here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ and also the
rules of the club or fishery owner. As far as I'm aware it's pretty much a
free-for-all in Eire.

Baal
December 25th, 2003, 06:00 PM
It's coarse nor course.

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

"Tallspoon" > wrote in message
> I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me started
> for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish caught in canals
> such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and will be fishing over
here
> and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.

Phil L
December 25th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Baal wrote:
: It's coarse nor course.

It's not, not nor!!

and anyhoo, it's the fish course he's talking about of coarse!

:-p

ChurchYardYew
December 25th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Of course its coarse, however, my recommendation is to shoot a Cormorant.
Pluck and place the whole bird in the oven, cook until the skin is crisp.
Carve your Cormorant and also enjoy the unique taste of fish stuffing.
Clever thing is that unlike Turkeys, Cormorants stuff themselves.
On a more serious note, get hold of a copy of Falkus and Bullers classic
"Freshwater Fishing". There is a recipe for each species of fish.

Churchyardyew.
=====================
"Tallspoon" > wrote in message
> I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me started
> for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish caught in canals
> such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and will be fishing over
here
> and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.

Gray
December 26th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Had a copy for years

like the recipe for minnows LOL

"ChurchYardYew" > wrote in message
> Of course its coarse, however, my recommendation is to shoot a Cormorant.
> Pluck and place the whole bird in the oven, cook until the skin is crisp.
> Carve your Cormorant and also enjoy the unique taste of fish stuffing.
> Clever thing is that unlike Turkeys, Cormorants stuff themselves.
> On a more serious note, get hold of a copy of Falkus and Bullers classic
> "Freshwater Fishing". There is a recipe for each species of fish.
>
> Churchyardyew.

---

Steve
December 30th, 2003, 10:49 PM
### BBQ Carp ###

Take 1 carp of about 3 - 5lbs maximum in weight,
Nail to a wooden board of about 1 inch (approx 3 cm) thick and large enough
to accomodate the carp,
Place board with attached carp onto a well lit bonfire.

Sip 7 beers and wait about 2 hours ......

Extract charred board and boney remains of carp from the bonfire.

Carefully separate the carp from the board.

Discard the carp and serve the board garnished with vegetables and a few
herbs ...... it will taste better I assure you ;-)

Happy New Year everyone

Steve

ps do not try this at home or any fishery near me <grin !>

Homepage: http://www.stevebb.com
Email:

Phil L
December 30th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Steve wrote:
: ### BBQ Carp ###
:
[...]

Methinks I'd have to be starving before I'd eat a carp of any kind, mind
you, anything is edible which is'nt toxic, but the first bloke to pick up a
snail and stick it in his gob must've been pretty hungry.....

Dan
January 2nd, 2004, 04:14 PM
It is illegal to kill any coarse fish in Ireland. All catches must be
returend to the water alive.
I'll get more information on it for you ..

Dan
January 2nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Additional Info As promised:
Taken from:
http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/fishery-regulations.htm
Shannon and Midland Regional fisheries Board.
Anglers are requested to always observe our country code

a.. Seek permission from landowners before crossing lands or property

b.. Do not park cars in fields

c.. Leave no litter

d.. Keep our countryside clean

Normal access is over footbridges and stiles or where public access is
provided.

In the interest of conservation it is recommended that all pike be returned
alive to the water.

The following laws have been introduced to conserve our pike coarse fish
stocks and breaches of these laws could lead to confiscation of rods, boats
and tackle. Heavy fines may also be imposed.

a.. It is illegal to have or to use live bait as bait

a.. The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line

a.. A person may fish with not more than two rods for coarse angling at
any one time.

a.. It is illegal to transfer live roach from one water to any other
waters.

a.. The taking or killing of by any person of more than one pike on any
day is illegal.

a.. The taking and killing by any person of any pike exceeding 6.6lbs
(3kg) in weight is illegal.

a.. It is illegal for any one person to have in their possession more than
one dead whole pike or alternatively more than 3.3lbs (1.5kg) by weight of
pike flesh or parts.

a.. It is permitted to take one whole specimen size whole, ungutted pike
on any one day. River specimen pike 20lbs (9.072) - Lake specimen pike 30lbs
(13.608kg) on any day

a.. The bylaw also provides for the register to be set up by each Regional
Fisheries Board of all premises and other storage facilities used by persons
acting as holders of pike for third parties. Furthermore all pike flesh, up
to a maximum of 1.5kg per person must be wrapped separately with the anglers
name clearly visible.

These laws were introduced in order that all anglers will continue to enjoy
excellent sport on all our rivers and lakes and we require your co-operation
in ensuring they are adhered to.

Anglers are requested to return all coarse fish, particularly pike, to the
water alive and unharmed.

andy
January 2nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
"Gray" > wrote in message

> "Tallspoon" > wrote in message
> > I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me
started
> > for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish caught in
canals
> > such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and will be fishing over
> here
> > and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.
>
> Mike
>
> In the UK Course fish MUST be returned to the water

No they dont!!!!!

where caught Don't know
> about Eire
>
> If on the Continent You can eat your catch and forget all the C*** about
it
> tasting muddy that is folk lore put about by snobby foodies who prefer
Trout
> IMO the fish I have eaten sur le continent have all had a wonderful taste
> and 99% taste better than trout especially Bream
> You just have to watch out for the bones Especially in Pike
>
> --
> Merry Christmas
>
> From
> Gray
> The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
> www.madcaravanner.co.uk
> You don't have to be mad but it helps
>

> ---

Gray
January 2nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
"andy" > wrote in message

> "Gray" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Tallspoon" > wrote in message
> > In the UK Course fish MUST be returned to the water
>

> No they dont!!!!!

Mike
is this what you are saying ??

I think in hindsight (wonderful thing) I should have said

In the UK MOST Course fish MUST be returned to the water

Do you agree with that?

--
Merry Christmas

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

---

Tilman Fliegel
January 15th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Actually Cormorants are quite tasty. They don't taste fishy at all (which
surpised me), more like duck really (in case you UKs know what a duck tastes
like ;-) )
Course fish are also quite OK. Personally I prefer predators (Pike, Perch,
Zander), although I do return most of them to the water.

SS
January 17th, 2004, 05:39 PM
http://www.activeangler.com/resources/cooking/index.asp

greg
January 18th, 2004, 10:05 PM
any local polution will have built up in the fish
local supermarket sells sea fish which are much better
pike taste like pike no matter how you cook them
perch can be good 3/4lb fish and above
an alternative to all other species is to make a sauce as described in a lot
of coarse fish recipes and substitute
rolled up newspaper for the fish. This works especialy
well with pike as the texture and flavour are much better
"SS" > wrote in message
> http://www.activeangler.com/resources/cooking/index.asp

Derek.Moody
January 19th, 2004, 11:06 AM
In article >, greg
> wrote:

> of coarse fish recipes and substitute
> rolled up newspaper for the fish. This works especialy

This sort of thing comes up often.

It may well be true for fish taken from overstocked, turbid ponds in summer.

In practice many coarse fish are reasonable eating when they are in good
condition (usually the winter months) and if they come from clean waters.

Admittedly very few are as good to eat as the usual range of sal****er
species that have become the standard stock of the fishmonger's slab but
most are on a par with the less popular sea fish.

Some are very good indeed, try some deep fried gudgeon.

Cheerio,

--

TchWrtrMcf
January 21st, 2004, 02:01 AM
Carp are considered a food fish in most of the world. The recent questions
about winter carp fishing reminded me of many old texts which advised catching
rough fish in the winter when the cold has firmed up their flesh (presumably
meaning that poorer winter feeding has eliminated their spare fat and the flesh
is leaner) This was also recommended for suckers and chub.

Derek.Moody
January 21st, 2004, 04:09 AM
In article >, TchWrtrMcf
> wrote:
> Carp are considered a food fish in most of the world. The recent questions

Yes, practically everywhere that sea fish are hard to get.

> about winter carp fishing reminded me of many old texts which advised catching
> rough fish in the winter when the cold has firmed up their flesh (presumably
> meaning that poorer winter feeding has eliminated their spare fat and the flesh

No. Most are spring spawning hence they are out of condition in summer and
have just about recovered as they go into winter. About now (northern
hemisphere) stored nutrients begin to be diverted for spawn production and
they lose condition again.

> is leaner) This was also recommended for suckers and chub.

Sounds like you are posting from North America; beware common names may not
mean the same fish.

Cheerio,

--

Pepperoni
January 22nd, 2004, 03:56 AM
Spring suckers are one of my favorites. Firm white flesh. We catch them
with 8x8 foot dip nets (raised vertically) April and May is dip net season,
and the suckers are the prize. It is also a good chance to survey a water.
Game fish are sometimes raised (but immediately returned) It is a thrill to
return a 15 pound largemouth or 30 pound muskie.
Chub are excellent smoked, but mainly used as bait here. Carp are sometimes
eaten (no on my menu), but generally fished for their fighting qualities.
In many areas it is illegal to return them to the water, once taken. Their
prolific breeding habits leads to carp being the predominate fish in some
waters, and degrades other fisheries.
Young carp (under 18 inches) offer some exciting fishing. They will take a
crawler like a bass, sizzling runs and even jump repeatedly. In some areas
carp are caught on trolled crank baits, and are popular early in the season.
Carp can grow so fast that their bodies become distorted. The head grows
slower than the body, leading to fish misshapen by a huge 4 inch bulge
behind the head.

"TchWrtrMcf" > wrote in message
> Carp are considered a food fish in most of the world. The recent questions
> about winter carp fishing reminded me of many old texts which advised
catching
> rough fish in the winter when the cold has firmed up their flesh
(presumably
> meaning that poorer winter feeding has eliminated their spare fat and the
flesh
> is leaner) This was also recommended for suckers and chub.

Todd Norris
January 25th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Here in Michigan,course fish would be considered to be carp or other
members of the
minnow family,such as squawfish or killifish.
Also the sucker family such as redhorse,buffalo
and carpsuckers.
Not to mention the freshwater drum and some
circles,the members of the catfish family,as little
as twenty years ago.
I have eaten carp and freshwater drum,when
caught in clean waters. Both species tend to
grow large and can give a decent fight. Some
people say they are too bony. But so is pike,
walleye pike and trout.