PDA

View Full Version : Winter Carp Question

Harry
December 31st, 2003, 05:28 PM
Hi. As far as I know, Carp will go into deeper water in the winter as it is
warmer there.

Anyone know what depth the water will then stay the same temperature, no
matter how much deeper it goes? Is it just the top 10 ft for example, which
changes in temperature, due to surface losses?

Hoot!!!
December 31st, 2003, 07:18 PM
Depends upon the Carp
I.e. wild or patsy
fish will find a safe place and stick very close together
Deep water is not always the best
Fish will go to the north facing bank (it will get most sun)

Water temp will fluctuate
best to fish with water above 9c or after a few cold days followed by a few
warmer days

Why fish for carp?
Barbel are more fun

Harry
December 31st, 2003, 09:24 PM
Hi 'Hoot!'

Surely, a safe place could be under some fallen down trees. But, cold
blooded as they are, they will go to deeper water as the temperature is
warmer in winter?

Water temp doesn't fluctuate below a certain depth, so I have heard. I just
can't remember what depth it was.

As for barbel, my record was an 11LBer from the Thames. But now-a-days I
prefer the laid back Carp fishing. Well, except surface fishing for carp in
the summer.

"Hoot!!!" (nospam)> wrote in message
> Depends upon the Carp
> I.e. wild or patsy
> fish will find a safe place and stick very close together
> Deep water is not always the best
> Fish will go to the north facing bank (it will get most sun)
>
> Water temp will fluctuate
> best to fish with water above 9c or after a few cold days followed by a
few
> warmer days
>
> Why fish for carp?
> Barbel are more fun

ChurchYardYew
January 1st, 2004, 08:02 PM
Water temperature considerations are far more important to the angler during
prolonged periods of hot weather than they are in the winter. In deep lakes,
the coldest water is at the bottom simply because it weighs more. The
measurable difference of water temperature (under stable conditions) in,
say, 10foot of water from the surface to the bottom is very very small and
makes little difference to a Carp. I have seen and caught Carp cruising
about under ice in as little as 2 foot of water in the winter. What the
angler has to consider is the availability of natural food and cover for the
fish. Lower temperatures mean less natural food, and as the Carps metabolism
is slowed, feeding is less often and the fish are less inclined to search as
actively in winter for food as they are in summer, but they will feed at
some time during a 24hr period and not necessarily in deep water.

ChurchYardYew.
==============

"Harry" > wrote in message
> Hi 'Hoot!'
>
> Surely, a safe place could be under some fallen down trees. But, cold
> blooded as they are, they will go to deeper water as the temperature is
> warmer in winter?
>
> Water temp doesn't fluctuate below a certain depth, so I have heard. I
just
> can't remember what depth it was.
>
> As for barbel, my record was an 11LBer from the Thames. But now-a-days I
> prefer the laid back Carp fishing. Well, except surface fishing for carp
in
> the summer.
>

> "Hoot!!!" (nospam)> wrote in message
> > Depends upon the Carp
> > I.e. wild or patsy
> > fish will find a safe place and stick very close together
> > Deep water is not always the best
> > Fish will go to the north facing bank (it will get most sun)
> >
> > Water temp will fluctuate
> > best to fish with water above 9c or after a few cold days followed by a
> few
> > warmer days
> >
> > Why fish for carp?
> > Barbel are more fun

preditor
January 7th, 2004, 08:33 AM
test
does anyone Kidby canal ?
"Harry" > wrote in message
> Hi. As far as I know, Carp will go into deeper water in the winter as it
is
> warmer there.
>
> Anyone know what depth the water will then stay the same temperature, no
> matter how much deeper it goes? Is it just the top 10 ft for example,
which
> changes in temperature, due to surface losses?

wemfish
January 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:28:43 -0000, "Harry" >
wrote:

>Hi. As far as I know, Carp will go into deeper water in the winter as it is
>warmer there.
>
>Anyone know what depth the water will then stay the same temperature, no
>matter how much deeper it goes? Is it just the top 10 ft for example, which
>changes in temperature, due to surface losses?

At 4c or below water starts to get less dense which is why ice floats,
so when it is very cold there can be very cold at the surface and
warmer deeper down but when this happens the deeper water stays down
and gradually looses oxygen as the organisms use it up and the fish
will be up in the colder water. This only happens in deep lakes though
as in most lakes the wind keeps the water all mixed up. Unless your
lake has depths of about 20 meters or more this will not happen. look
for where the sun may warm the water or where a spring comes up in to
the lake, these are the warmer spots in most lakes. In most lakes in
the winter when it is sunny you may get some action about 2pm as this
is when the lake is at its warmest....