PDA

View Full Version : ARRRGGGHH! Carp!!!

Zoe
January 10th, 2004, 06:02 PM
My local lake (about 3 acres) has Carp, but no matter what I do, they don't
feed in the winter! Boilies and nuts are banned BTW.

Surely sweetcorn over a spod of hemp should produce!

I plumbed, and picked the deepest water. Spodded one spod of Dynamite Baits
hemp and sweetcorn, With a few trout pellets, then put a critically balanced
3 sweetcorn hair as hook bait.

What am I doing wrong?

Roger Simpson
January 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
"Zoe" > wrote in message
> My local lake (about 3 acres) has Carp, but no matter what I do, they
don't
> feed in the winter! Boilies and nuts are banned BTW.
>
> Surely sweetcorn over a spod of hemp should produce!
>
> I plumbed, and picked the deepest water. Spodded one spod of Dynamite
Baits
> hemp and sweetcorn, With a few trout pellets, then put a critically
balanced
> 3 sweetcorn hair as hook bait.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> try popped up maize

Hoot!!!
January 10th, 2004, 07:53 PM
The carp are not in your fishing area

try fishing another spot

where are you fishing?

try a glugged trout or carp pellet

can you use ground bait?

Zoe
January 10th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I have tried margins, and deep water. Nothing.

I have also used Trout and Halibut Pellet, but no response. Also used
maggot.

"Hoot!!!" (nospam)> wrote in message
> The carp are not in your fishing area
>
> try fishing another spot
>
> where are you fishing?
>
> try a glugged trout or carp pellet
>
> can you use ground bait?

Zoe
January 10th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Hi Pepperoni.

How do you locate fish in the winter? They don't surface, and you can't see
them.

BTW, other people have been on Pepperami, cheese, and all the usual baits,
and haven't caught. They don't seem to take any bait.

"Pepperoni" > wrote in message
> In winter there is very slight temperature difference throughout the
lake.
> There is little reason to fish the deepest part of the lake. I prefer to
> locate the fish and then fish in their movement area. Throughout the
year,
> a depth of 5-10 feet is my preferred depth. Here (US), I prefer prepared
> salmon eggs as bait in winter (treated to make them firm) , fished on
tiny
> trebles. This makes a nice cluster with a single egg on each hook. This
> bait attracts numerous species, but may not be legal bait on designated
> trout water. (laws vary greatly by location) Curiously, corn is also
> illegal in some States and locales.
>
> You may not be doing anything "wrong". Some species merely bite better in
> winter than others.

LOOPY LEE
January 10th, 2004, 11:02 PM
"Zoe" > wrote in message
> Hi Pepperoni.
>
> How do you locate fish in the winter? They don't surface, and you can't
see
> them.
>
> BTW, other people have been on Pepperami, cheese, and all the usual baits,
> and haven't caught. They don't seem to take any bait.
>

> "Pepperoni" > wrote in message
> > In winter there is very slight temperature difference throughout the
> lake.
> > There is little reason to fish the deepest part of the lake. I prefer
> > locate the fish and then fish in their movement area. Throughout the
> year,
> > a depth of 5-10 feet is my preferred depth. Here (US), I prefer prepared
> > salmon eggs as bait in winter (treated to make them firm) , fished on
> tiny
> > trebles. This makes a nice cluster with a single egg on each hook.
This
> > bait attracts numerous species, but may not be legal bait on designated
> > trout water. (laws vary greatly by location) Curiously, corn is also
> > illegal in some States and locales.
> >
> > You may not be doing anything "wrong". Some species merely bite better
in
> > winter than others.

what sort of depth are you fishing . Remember the carp will be at a depth
that they find comftable. This may no be on the bottom. If you have around
6' and are allowed 3 rods try a zig rig 5' deep with 3 grains of artificial
corn (flavoured) on one rod. On another rod use a 3' zig rig with the same
bait and on your 3ed rod use the same just off the bottom.
To flavour your artificial corn make a soak up of your favourite
additives or use one of the solar pot shots.
let us know how you get on
Leigh
www.crawleyanglingsociety.co.uk

Pepperoni
January 10th, 2004, 11:23 PM

"Zoe" > wrote in message
> My local lake (about 3 acres) has Carp, but no matter what I do, they
don't
> feed in the winter! Boilies and nuts are banned BTW.
>
> Surely sweetcorn over a spod of hemp should produce!
>
> I plumbed, and picked the deepest water. Spodded one spod of Dynamite
Baits
> hemp and sweetcorn, With a few trout pellets, then put a critically
balanced
> 3 sweetcorn hair as hook bait.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Richard
January 11th, 2004, 12:25 PM
"LOOPY LEE" [REMOVE]> wrote in message

> "Zoe" > wrote in message
> > Hi Pepperoni.
> >
> > How do you locate fish in the winter? They don't surface, and you can't
> see
> > them.
> >
> > BTW, other people have been on Pepperami, cheese, and all the usual
baits,
> > and haven't caught. They don't seem to take any bait.
> >

> > "Pepperoni" > wrote in message
> > > In winter there is very slight temperature difference throughout the
> > lake.
> > > There is little reason to fish the deepest part of the lake. I
prefer
> > > locate the fish and then fish in their movement area. Throughout the
> > year,
> > > a depth of 5-10 feet is my preferred depth. Here (US), I prefer
prepared
> > > salmon eggs as bait in winter (treated to make them firm) , fished on
> > tiny
> > > trebles. This makes a nice cluster with a single egg on each hook.
> This
> > > bait attracts numerous species, but may not be legal bait on
designated
> > > trout water. (laws vary greatly by location) Curiously, corn is
also
> > > illegal in some States and locales.
> > >
> > > You may not be doing anything "wrong". Some species merely bite
better
> in
> > > winter than others.
> > >

> what sort of depth are you fishing . Remember the carp will be at a depth
> that they find comftable. This may no be on the bottom. If you have around
> 6' and are allowed 3 rods try a zig rig 5' deep with 3 grains of
artificial
> corn (flavoured) on one rod. On another rod use a 3' zig rig with the same
> bait and on your 3ed rod use the same just off the bottom.
> To flavour your artificial corn make a soak up of your favourite
> additives or use one of the solar pot shots.
> let us know how you get on
> Leigh
> www.crawleyanglingsociety.co.uk

You have taken the words right out of my mouth ..... just about to post
about the zig rig ...... spot on m8.

---

Dave Smith
January 11th, 2004, 05:27 PM
"Pepperoni" > wrote in message
> In winter there is very slight temperature difference throughout the
lake.
> There is little reason to fish the deepest part of the lake. I prefer to
> locate the fish and then fish in their movement area. Throughout the
year,
> a depth of 5-10 feet is my preferred depth. Here (US), I prefer prepared
> salmon eggs as bait in winter (treated to make them firm) , fished on
tiny
> trebles. This makes a nice cluster with a single egg on each hook. This
> bait attracts numerous species, but may not be legal bait on designated
> trout water. (laws vary greatly by location) Curiously, corn is also
> illegal in some States and locales.

Trebles?
for Pike (Muskie) yes but surly not for Carp?
Do you guys use hair rigs?

Dave

Zoe
January 11th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Cheers. I must admit, I have never used a Zig Rig.

Do you usually fish it as a single hook bait?

"LOOPY LEE" [REMOVE]> wrote in message

>> what sort of depth are you fishing . Remember the carp will be at a depth
> that they find comftable. This may no be on the bottom. If you have around
> 6' and are allowed 3 rods try a zig rig 5' deep with 3 grains of
artificial
> corn (flavoured) on one rod. On another rod use a 3' zig rig with the same
> bait and on your 3ed rod use the same just off the bottom.
> To flavour your artificial corn make a soak up of your favourite
> additives or use one of the solar pot shots.
> let us know how you get on
> Leigh
> www.crawleyanglingsociety.co.uk

Phil L
January 11th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Zoe wrote:
: Cheers. I must admit, I have never used a Zig Rig.

Basically it's a leger, but the bait dosent sit on the bottom, it trys to
float as its bouyant, bread, fake corn etc - you can set the depth you want
it to float up from the bottom by the length of line from your leger stop to
the hook.
:
: Do you usually fish it as a single hook bait?
:

One grain of artificial corn isn't very bouyant and will not rise up too
well, it's better to use a few.....
i usually use two fake grains and one real piece of sweetcorn for
authenticity !

Richard
January 11th, 2004, 11:01 PM
"Phil L" > wrote in message
> Zoe wrote:
> : Cheers. I must admit, I have never used a Zig Rig.
>
> Basically it's a leger, but the bait dosent sit on the bottom, it trys to
> float as its bouyant, bread, fake corn etc - you can set the depth you
want
> it to float up from the bottom by the length of line from your leger stop
> the hook.

You can alternatively, with a boyant bait, vary the depth direct from the
reel and ditch the stop idea.

Richard

---

Phil L
January 11th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Richard wrote:
: "Phil L" > wrote in message
: ...
:: Zoe wrote:
::: Cheers. I must admit, I have never used a Zig Rig.
::
:: Basically it's a leger, but the bait dosent sit on the bottom, it
:: trys to float as its bouyant, bread, fake corn etc - you can set the
:: depth you want it to float up from the bottom by the length of line
:: from your leger stop to the hook.
::
:
: You can alternatively, with a boyant bait, vary the depth direct from
: the reel and ditch the stop idea.
:
: Richard
:

what stops the leger hitting the hook?

Pepperoni
January 12th, 2004, 01:55 AM
"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

.. Here (US), I prefer prepared
> > salmon eggs as bait in winter (treated to make them firm) , fished on
> tiny
> > trebles. This makes a nice cluster with a single egg on each hook.
This
> > bait attracts numerous species, but may not be legal bait on designated
> > trout water. (laws vary greatly by location) Curiously, corn is also
> > illegal in some States and locales.
> >
> Trebles?
> for Pike (Muskie) yes but surly not for Carp?
> Do you guys use hair rigs?
>
> Dave

The trebles I describe for fishing salmon eggs are tiny, actually smaller
than the size of a single salmon egg. They are smaller and lighter than
many "normal" hooks that you might use. The tiny trebles are popular with
steelhead fishermen, and the holding power of these tiny hooks is
incredible.

These hooks are difficult to find, generally. We purchase them "up north",
where they are better known and more available. The tackle shops on the
trout and salmon streams have them available in bulk packs.

The salmon fishermen *DO* tend to use larger trebles for fishing bait under
floats. They use "skein" eggs, which are still held in the membrane.
(before the eggs loosen for spawning). These are floated under sliding
floats and usually a much larger mass than the stream fishermen use.
"Loose" eggs are often tied into mesh sacks containing only 3-6 single eggs,
with small colored styrofoam bits sometimes added for flotation.

Hair rigs are not widely known here. Our attitude concerning carp are also
quite different from yours. Carp are generally considered a nuisance, and
some states and locales prohibit their return to the water, once taken. We
currently have several exotic carp species being dispersed throughout our
river systems. One of these species is known for being disturbed by boat
motors and leaping into boats (with injuries to fishermen reported) These
are huge, and remind me of tarpon jumping. At least one of these exotic
carp species are filter feeders and not likely to be heavily harvested using
bait. They were imported into the south years ago to control algae growth
in commercial catfish rearing ponds, and escaped into the Mississippi
drainage due to flooding.

I like fishing for carp. I fish a small river near my home, and enjoy the
fight. Corn is the best bait, and properly presented, this bait produces
regular action.

Bryan Hall
January 12th, 2004, 05:03 PM
The ledger stop ;-)

"Phil L" > wrote in message
> Richard wrote:
> : "Phil L" > wrote in message
> : ...
> :: Zoe wrote:
> ::: Cheers. I must admit, I have never used a Zig Rig.
> ::
> :: Basically it's a leger, but the bait dosent sit on the bottom, it
> :: trys to float as its bouyant, bread, fake corn etc - you can set the
> :: depth you want it to float up from the bottom by the length of line
> :: from your leger stop to the hook.
> ::
> :
> : You can alternatively, with a boyant bait, vary the depth direct from
> : the reel and ditch the stop idea.
> :
> : Richard
> :
>
> what stops the leger hitting the hook?

Richard
January 12th, 2004, 11:49 PM
"Bryan Hall" > wrote in message
> The ledger stop ;-)

Ok then ..... in the broadest sense ... just that I assumed he didn't mean
at the reel, but I get your drift (very well) ...... Stay well ......
Richard

---