PDA

View Full Version : Bait worms

farmer giles
January 22nd, 2004, 11:09 PM
Hello everyone

I am not a fisherman - or angler, whichever you prefer - but I have an
enterprise which could be of interest to your sport. I breed worms for
producing compost from waste produce and manure. These worms are of the
redworm type - which I believe you call brandlings. My question is this: how
could I market the large quantity of surplus worms that I produce? How do
anglers normally buy their bait worms, in what quantity, how are they
normally collected and what is the normal price? I am thinking of some sort
of mail order or delivery enterprise, so I wonder if you chaps could tell me
if there is any demand for this sort of thing.

Regards.

Giles

Phil L
January 22nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
farmer giles wrote:
: Hello everyone
:
: I am not a fisherman - or angler, whichever you prefer - but I have an
: enterprise which could be of interest to your sport. I breed worms for
: producing compost from waste produce and manure. These worms are of
: the redworm type - which I believe you call brandlings. My question
: is this: how could I market the large quantity of surplus worms that
: I produce?

It depends what you mean by large quantities?

: How do anglers normally buy their bait worms, in what
: quantity, how are they normally collected and what is the normal
: price?

I normally get mine from local tackle shops, but they are expensive, usually
about twenty worms for £2.50p
which is a small tub [1], the large tubs can be up to 7-8 quid a pop, but
have a hundred or more worms in them.

: I am thinking of some sort of mail order or delivery
: enterprise,

Mail order would probably be your best bet, and get someone to knock up a
small website (it can be hosted for about 30 - 40 quid a year and you will
get as many if not more orders through it than classifieds in the angling
press).
Enquire with delivery firms as to how much the tubs will cost to deliver,
obviously the more buisness you can give them the cheaper it will be.

: so I wonder if you chaps could tell me if there is any
: demand for this sort of thing.
:
obviously only a seasonal one, winter is slow going for any bait, but having
said that, worms are very much an anglers favourite for winter sessions.

Summer will be hectic and you may want to work out your years earnings
beforehand, but ignore five winter months (mid October to mid March) as the
earnings in these months will be negligible, so if it's a living your after,
your working year should be based on seven months - what you earn in these
summer months will have to feed you through the winter, so plan ahead !

[1] the tubs are clear plastic with white solid lids, no holes, the compost
is slightly moist.
unlike maggots, they dont really need to be kept cold, but it's imperative
that they do remain slightly damp!

HTH

dunrankin
January 23rd, 2004, 04:00 AM
My local worm farm charges £7.50 for a half kilo (bloody foreign
measurments)

They are supplied in a ventilated tub (tiny holes drilled round the
side!)

We have to collect them, so obviously mail order would need to include
the p&p charges.

Wish we had a local supplier for lobs though. Hard work finding my
own!

Activeviii
January 23rd, 2004, 08:31 AM
try these.

http://www.theinternetpages.co.uk/scotland/swest/fishw1/mcw4.htm

http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/reviews.php?cPath=23

http://www.terawhitiworms.fsnet.co.uk/

http://www.121-worms-live-fishing-bait.com/

just a few that sell online but it should give you most off the info you
need to start up.
hope it help
All the best.
Phil.
do you need a bait tester?...lol.
"dunrankin" > wrote in message
> My local worm farm charges £7.50 for a half kilo (bloody foreign
> measurments)
>
> They are supplied in a ventilated tub (tiny holes drilled round the
> side!)
>
> We have to collect them, so obviously mail order would need to include
> the p&p charges.
>
> Wish we had a local supplier for lobs though. Hard work finding my
> own!

farmer giles
January 23rd, 2004, 09:52 AM
"Phil L" > wrote in message
> farmer giles wrote:
> : Hello everyone
> :
> : I am not a fisherman - or angler, whichever you prefer - but I have an
> : enterprise which could be of interest to your sport. I breed worms for
> : producing compost from waste produce and manure. These worms are of
> : the redworm type - which I believe you call brandlings. My question
> : is this: how could I market the large quantity of surplus worms that
> : I produce?
>
> It depends what you mean by large quantities?

Tens of thousands

> : How do anglers normally buy their bait worms, in what
> : quantity, how are they normally collected and what is the normal
> : price?
>
> I normally get mine from local tackle shops, but they are expensive,
usually
> about twenty worms for £2.50p
> which is a small tub [1], the large tubs can be up to 7-8 quid a pop, but
> have a hundred or more worms in them.

That does seem expensive. I could probably supply a hundred for three to
four pounds, inc postage (depending on the cost of postage)

> : I am thinking of some sort of mail order or delivery
> : enterprise,
>

> : so I wonder if you chaps could tell me if there is any
> : demand for this sort of thing.
> :
> obviously only a seasonal one, winter is slow going for any bait, but
having
> said that, worms are very much an anglers favourite for winter sessions.
>
> Summer will be hectic and you may want to work out your years earnings
> beforehand, but ignore five winter months (mid October to mid March) as
the
> earnings in these months will be negligible, so if it's a living your
after,
> your working year should be based on seven months - what you earn in these
> summer months will have to feed you through the winter, so plan ahead !
>

> [1] the tubs are clear plastic with white solid lids, no holes, the
compost
> is slightly moist.
> unlike maggots, they dont really need to be kept cold, but it's imperative
> that they do remain slightly damp!
>
> HTH

Very useful info. Thanks for your help.

farmer giles
January 23rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
"Activeviii" > wrote in message
> try these.
>
> http://www.theinternetpages.co.uk/scotland/swest/fishw1/mcw4.htm
>
> http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/reviews.php?cPath=23
>
> http://www.terawhitiworms.fsnet.co.uk/
>
> http://www.121-worms-live-fishing-bait.com/
>
> just a few that sell online but it should give you most off the info you
> need to start up.
> hope it help
> All the best.
> Phil.
> do you need a bait tester?...lol.

Contact me on (that is: eco_worms) and I will probably
send you a free sample to evaluate.

Cheers

Bob
January 23rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
You can buy lobs at £14 for 100 at http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk

Bob

"dunrankin" > wrote in message
> My local worm farm charges £7.50 for a half kilo (bloody foreign
> measurments)
>
> They are supplied in a ventilated tub (tiny holes drilled round the
> side!)
>
> We have to collect them, so obviously mail order would need to include
> the p&p charges.
>
> Wish we had a local supplier for lobs though. Hard work finding my
> own!

January 23rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
or £12 per 100 from Tommy Topsoil
http://www.matchangling.com/Worms.htm

I've had them from him for salmon - no problems.
Keith

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:15:31 -0000, "Bob" > wrote:

>You can buy lobs at £14 for 100 at http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk
>
>Bob
>

>"dunrankin" > wrote in message
>> My local worm farm charges £7.50 for a half kilo (bloody foreign
>> measurments)
>>
>> They are supplied in a ventilated tub (tiny holes drilled round the
>> side!)
>>
>> We have to collect them, so obviously mail order would need to include
>> the p&p charges.
>>
>> Wish we had a local supplier for lobs though. Hard work finding my
>> own!

Neil Ellwood
February 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:09:26 +0000, farmer giles wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I am not a fisherman - or angler, whichever you prefer - but I have an
> enterprise which could be of interest to your sport. I breed worms for
> producing compost from waste produce and manure. These worms are of the
> redworm type - which I believe you call brandlings. My question is this: how
> could I market the large quantity of surplus worms that I produce? How do
> anglers normally buy their bait worms, in what quantity, how are they
> normally collected and what is the normal price? I am thinking of some sort
> of mail order or delivery enterprise, so I wonder if you chaps could tell me
> if there is any demand for this sort of thing.
Go to your local angling shop and see what he will pay and how he would
want them packed etc.

--
Neil
Delete delete to get address

Stevepp6
February 26th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Check out the website www.willyworms.co.uk for insperation and help.

regards,

Justin Time
February 28th, 2004, 05:14 PM
"Stevepp6" > wrote in message
> Check out the website www.willyworms.co.uk for insperation and help.
>
> regards,

Tell me, how are worms normally packed when you buy them from tackle shops,
and how do you normally keep them - and for how long?

Cheers

Derek.Moody
February 29th, 2004, 02:27 PM
In article >, Justin Time
> wrote:

> Tell me, how are worms normally packed when you buy them from tackle shops,
> and how do you normally keep them - and for how long?

On occasions when worms have been hard to come by I've bought them in little
polystyrene posts with a little earth. They don't survive long like that.
If you replace the earth with fresh, damp grass or moss and float the pot in
a shady place in the margins to keep them cool they'll last a few days.

In most cases, except in drought, you're better off wiggling a few fresh
ones up with a pointed stick.

Cheerio,