PDA

View Full Version : Easy Dome Bivvies. Are They??

Adam
March 6th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Hi. I am tempted by an Easy Dome Bivvy. Something like a Fox one-man Easy
Dome. Has anyone had any experiences with them?

The reason I ask, is because even though they go up quickly, they are
totally assembled. This makes me think that they would be a pain to pack
away. If they take a while to pack away, then there in no point in having
an Easy Dome really. I would probably be more suited to a conventional
bivvy, which I can put up and take down in 8 minutes start to finish, and is
smaller when packed away.

What do you guys think?

Bob
March 6th, 2004, 04:50 PM
I have both an euro easydome for short sessions (2/3 nights) and a
continental easydome for long sessions and fishing abroad. I pack them
away in a couple of minutes. In winter the material get's a bit stiff but
that seems the same with most of them. They have a inner tent which keeps
out the bugs and prevents the condensation nightmare of single skinned
bivvys. I would not buy the standard easydome as a standard bedchair tends
to push the inner tent against the outer giving condensation problems.

A help to putting them up is to lay a groundsheet which you get as an extra
and peg that down, put up the dome and use the pegs that are in the
groundsheet. This helps in wind. They also have good guy ropes which make
it very secure in wind. I have used mine in real gales without a problem.

Bob

"Adam" > wrote in message
> Hi. I am tempted by an Easy Dome Bivvy. Something like a Fox one-man
Easy
> Dome. Has anyone had any experiences with them?
>
> The reason I ask, is because even though they go up quickly, they are
> totally assembled. This makes me think that they would be a pain to pack
> away. If they take a while to pack away, then there in no point in having
> an Easy Dome really. I would probably be more suited to a conventional
> bivvy, which I can put up and take down in 8 minutes start to finish, and
is
> smaller when packed away.
>
> What do you guys think?

Adam
March 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Cheers Bob.

I see what you mean about the bedchair pushing the inner lining against the
outer lining.

So, it isn't a problem getting it back in the bag?

"Bob" > wrote in message
> I have both an euro easydome for short sessions (2/3 nights) and a
> continental easydome for long sessions and fishing abroad. I pack them
> away in a couple of minutes. In winter the material get's a bit stiff
but
> that seems the same with most of them. They have a inner tent which
keeps
> out the bugs and prevents the condensation nightmare of single skinned
> bivvys. I would not buy the standard easydome as a standard bedchair
tends
> to push the inner tent against the outer giving condensation problems.
>
> A help to putting them up is to lay a groundsheet which you get as an
extra
> and peg that down, put up the dome and use the pegs that are in the
> groundsheet. This helps in wind. They also have good guy ropes which
make
> it very secure in wind. I have used mine in real gales without a problem.
>
> Bob
>

> "Adam" > wrote in message
> > Hi. I am tempted by an Easy Dome Bivvy. Something like a Fox one-man
> Easy
> > Dome. Has anyone had any experiences with them?
> >
> > The reason I ask, is because even though they go up quickly, they are
> > totally assembled. This makes me think that they would be a pain to
pack
> > away. If they take a while to pack away, then there in no point in
having
> > an Easy Dome really. I would probably be more suited to a conventional
> > bivvy, which I can put up and take down in 8 minutes start to finish,
and
> is
> > smaller when packed away.
> >
> > What do you guys think?

Richard
March 7th, 2004, 01:36 PM
"Adam" > wrote in message
> Hi. I am tempted by an Easy Dome Bivvy. Something like a Fox one-man
Easy
> Dome. Has anyone had any experiences with them?
>snip

You may want to take a look at the Chub Rapid XS 1 man also. A fairly large
one man bivvy. Bedchair will go across bivvy with ample free room each end
or front to back centre apex if you prefer. Also the gap between the inner
and outer shell is larger than on any others I have seen. It has a huge
hydrostatic head, integral groundsheet and has been wind tunnel tested. It
goes both up and down very easily. Here is a link if you are interested in
finding out a bit more.

http://www.chubleisure.co.uk/rapidxs.shtml

Cheers ........ Richard

Adam
March 7th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Cheers Richard. I have played with the Chub XS domes, but they don't seem
to pack away that easily.

The hydrostatic head is the same as the Fox One-man Easy Dome if I remember
correctly at about 3500mm.

"Richard" > wrote in message

> You may want to take a look at the Chub Rapid XS 1 man also. A fairly
large
> one man bivvy. Bedchair will go across bivvy with ample free room each end
> or front to back centre apex if you prefer. Also the gap between the inner
> and outer shell is larger than on any others I have seen. It has a huge
> hydrostatic head, integral groundsheet and has been wind tunnel tested. It
> goes both up and down very easily. Here is a link if you are interested in
> finding out a bit more.
>
> http://www.chubleisure.co.uk/rapidxs.shtml
>
> Cheers ........ Richard

Richard
March 7th, 2004, 04:37 PM
"Adam" > wrote in message
> Cheers Richard. I have played with the Chub XS domes, but they don't seem
> to pack away that easily.

snip

I found the knack is to just make sure you pull the poles in tightly (tight
as you can) this reduces the overall size and then it goes in the bag quite
easily.

Works for me anyway ..... stay well ...... Richard

Simon Slater
March 15th, 2004, 01:01 PM
I bought the easy dome early last year and have used it about 6 times. I
have never found any problems with assembly and dissassembly. The bag is big
enough to take the bivvy very easily without much compacting. I paid about
169.00 and its been worth every penny!

andrew green
April 3rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
in article , Adam at
wrote on 6/3/04 5:16 pm:

> Hi. I am tempted by an Easy Dome Bivvy. Something like a Fox one-man Easy
> Dome. Has anyone had any experiences with them?
>
> The reason I ask, is because even though they go up quickly, they are
> totally assembled. This makes me think that they would be a pain to pack
> away. If they take a while to pack away, then there in no point in having
> an Easy Dome really. I would probably be more suited to a conventional
> bivvy, which I can put up and take down in 8 minutes start to finish, and is
> smaller when packed away.
>
> What do you guys think?

I use a Chubb cyclone with the storm poles and over-wrap that can be
erected in less than a minute and back in the bag in two. I don't recommend
it for winter but for may to September its great and it fits in the large
pocket in a Shimano 4 rod holder. It also makes a good family sized beach
shelter too which pleased my wife

Richard
April 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM
"andrew green" > wrote in message
> in article , Adam at
> wrote on 6/3/04 5:16 pm:
>
> > Hi. I am tempted by an Easy Dome Bivvy. Something like a Fox one-man
Easy
> > Dome. Has anyone had any experiences with them?
> >
> > The reason I ask, is because even though they go up quickly, they are
> > totally assembled. This makes me think that they would be a pain to
pack
> > away. If they take a while to pack away, then there in no point in
having
> > an Easy Dome really. I would probably be more suited to a conventional
> > bivvy, which I can put up and take down in 8 minutes start to finish,
and is
> > smaller when packed away.
> >
> > What do you guys think?
> >

> I use a Chubb cyclone with the storm poles and over-wrap that can be
> erected in less than a minute and back in the bag in two. I don't
recommend
> it for winter but for may to September its great and it fits in the large
> pocket in a Shimano 4 rod holder. It also makes a good family sized beach
> shelter too which pleased my wife

The Chub Rapid XS 1 man is a twin skin bivvy with integral groundsheet and
easy to put up and down. It is all round a lot better than the Fox model
quoted and suitable for all year use.

Richard