PDA

View Full Version : Free book from BASS....NOT

Bart
October 3rd, 2003, 02:24 AM
I remember seeing a few posts about this a few weeks back. Anyone else get
a coin and book titled "Top Techniques of the BASS Pros" in the mail about a
month ago? Mine had a letter stating the book did not need to be returned.
Since I did not ask for the book, I didn't feel I should take the time of
sending it back "to keep the offer available for others".

Now they have the balls to send me letter requesting I pay for the book or
send it back. The letter has a toll free number, but of course there is
nobody available in the evening hours to take my irate call.

Anyone have the phone number for BASS so I can call them and give them a
piece of my mind before canceling my membership?

Chuck Coger
October 3rd, 2003, 02:35 AM
I didn't get it because I was in the process of renewing my membership and
there was some confusion in that process. I did however get an AOL starter
CD in my BASS renewal pack. Just what I always wanted, I was a little
disheartened to get an AOL starter cd with my renewal, not that it matter
that much I just thought it was low.

Also, after I didn't pay for the first 2 books they just quit sending any
offer like that.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Bart" > wrote in message
> I remember seeing a few posts about this a few weeks back. Anyone else
get
> a coin and book titled "Top Techniques of the BASS Pros" in the mail about
> month ago? Mine had a letter stating the book did not need to be
returned.
> Since I did not ask for the book, I didn't feel I should take the time of
> sending it back "to keep the offer available for others".
>
> Now they have the balls to send me letter requesting I pay for the book or
> send it back. The letter has a toll free number, but of course there is
> nobody available in the evening hours to take my irate call.
>
> Anyone have the phone number for BASS so I can call them and give them a
> piece of my mind before canceling my membership?

Bob La Londe
October 3rd, 2003, 04:16 AM
It arrived unsolicited in the mail Nuf said.

"Bart" > wrote in message
> I remember seeing a few posts about this a few weeks back. Anyone else
get
> a coin and book titled "Top Techniques of the BASS Pros" in the mail about
> month ago? Mine had a letter stating the book did not need to be
returned.
> Since I did not ask for the book, I didn't feel I should take the time of
> sending it back "to keep the offer available for others".
>
> Now they have the balls to send me letter requesting I pay for the book or
> send it back. The letter has a toll free number, but of course there is
> nobody available in the evening hours to take my irate call.
>
> Anyone have the phone number for BASS so I can call them and give them a
> piece of my mind before canceling my membership?

Joe
October 3rd, 2003, 04:46 AM
Relax, save your breath and blood pressure Bart. Just toss the letter. They
sent me the desk calendar for 3 years before they figured out I did want it
and would not pay. Joe Z.

"Bart" > wrote in message
I remember seeing a few posts about this a few weeks back. Anyone else get
a coin and book titled "Top Techniques of the BASS Pros" in the mail about a
month ago? Mine had a letter stating the book did not need to be returned.
Since I did not ask for the book, I didn't feel I should take the time of
sending it back "to keep the offer available for others".

Now they have the balls to send me letter requesting I pay for the book or
send it back. The letter has a toll free number, but of course there is
nobody available in the evening hours to take my irate call.

Anyone have the phone number for BASS so I can call them and give them a
piece of my mind before canceling my membership?

Marty
October 3rd, 2003, 06:10 AM
I sent mine back, even though I didn't have to. If you're interested, here
are the post office rules:

http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/merch.htm

Gary Wilber
October 3rd, 2003, 12:18 PM
I received the book and it was OK. I didn't really care about it one
way or the other. Gave it to my son but don't plan on paying for it.
If they send me any letters I will just throw them away.

0000
October 3rd, 2003, 03:20 PM
I got one too.

"Bart" > wrote in message
> I remember seeing a few posts about this a few weeks back. Anyone else
get
> a coin and book titled "Top Techniques of the BASS Pros" in the mail about
> month ago? Mine had a letter stating the book did not need to be
returned.
> Since I did not ask for the book, I didn't feel I should take the time of
> sending it back "to keep the offer available for others".
>
> Now they have the balls to send me letter requesting I pay for the book or
> send it back. The letter has a toll free number, but of course there is
> nobody available in the evening hours to take my irate call.
>
> Anyone have the phone number for BASS so I can call them and give them a
> piece of my mind before canceling my membership?

Bob Rickard
October 3rd, 2003, 05:48 PM
You didn't ask for it, so why go to all the trouble to return it? Actions
such as yours help keep scams like this alive.

Bob Rickard

"Marty" > wrote in message
> I sent mine back, even though I didn't have to. If you're interested, here
> are the post office rules:
>
> http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/merch.htm

alwayfishking
October 3rd, 2003, 06:16 PM
Every year the send me the yearly calander book also, neat book with old
lures and such best/worst times to fish etc etc. I like it but not enough to
pay for it.
"0000" > wrote in message
> I got one too.
>
> "Bart" > wrote in message
> > I remember seeing a few posts about this a few weeks back. Anyone else
> get
> > a coin and book titled "Top Techniques of the BASS Pros" in the mail
about
> > month ago? Mine had a letter stating the book did not need to be
> returned.
> > Since I did not ask for the book, I didn't feel I should take the time
of
> > sending it back "to keep the offer available for others".
> >
> > Now they have the balls to send me letter requesting I pay for the book
or
> > send it back. The letter has a toll free number, but of course there is
> > nobody available in the evening hours to take my irate call.
> >
> > Anyone have the phone number for BASS so I can call them and give them a
> > piece of my mind before canceling my membership?

Marty
October 4th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Bob Rickard > wrote in message
y.com...
> You didn't ask for it, so why go to all the trouble to return it? Actions
> such as yours help keep scams like this alive.

It wasn't any trouble to return it, just put it into a postage-paid,
B.A.S.S.-supplied package and drop it in a mailbox. Maybe this is just
semantics, but I don't view it as a scam. It might be a business practice
some of us don't care for, but the book was received from an organization we
belong to, and they didn't try to hide the fact that we didn't have to
return it.

Bob La Londe
October 4th, 2003, 04:03 PM
"Marty" > wrote in message

> Bob Rickard > wrote in message
> y.com...
> > You didn't ask for it, so why go to all the trouble to return it?
Actions
> > such as yours help keep scams like this alive.
>
> It wasn't any trouble to return it, just put it into a postage-paid,
> B.A.S.S.-supplied package and drop it in a mailbox. Maybe this is just
> semantics, but I don't view it as a scam. It might be a business practice
> some of us don't care for, but the book was received from an organization
we
> belong to, and they didn't try to hide the fact that we didn't have to
> return it.

Speaking of semantics. I am a member of BASS. I do not belong to BASS.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Henry Hefner
October 4th, 2003, 04:44 PM
It would have also been very easy for them to ask before sending it. And
legal. Bart posted that they sent him another letter, requesting money
or return. that is also illegal. read it here:
http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/merch.htm
I joined because I wanted the magazine, but I doubt they will get any
more of my money. There are enough companys using shady methods of doing
business without me helping them to do it. It's like feeding the troll.

Marty wrote:
> Bob Rickard > wrote in message
> y.com...
>
>>You didn't ask for it, so why go to all the trouble to return it? Actions
>>such as yours help keep scams like this alive.
>

> It wasn't any trouble to return it, just put it into a postage-paid,
> B.A.S.S.-supplied package and drop it in a mailbox. Maybe this is just
> semantics, but I don't view it as a scam. It might be a business practice
> some of us don't care for, but the book was received from an organization we
> belong to, and they didn't try to hide the fact that we didn't have to
> return it.

Bob La Londe
October 4th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Besides, There are plenty of good books out there. It has nothing in it
that I couldn't find in other books. I recently purchased a book by Kevin
VanDam that is every bit as good.

In addition, Kevin likes a lot of the same tackle I already use so his books
is more closely tailored to my usage.

No I will not pay for a BASS' book. Nor will I waste one minute of my time
returning it. Yes I also received a collection letter from them. It
basically stated I must pay for the book or return it. It went in the
trash, and the book went on my shelf.

P.S. It is a decent book, but I would not have ordered it nor will I waste
my time doing their bidding. If they want to pay my minimum charge for a
service call I'll consider spending my time to return it.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

J Buck
October 4th, 2003, 05:43 PM
seems pretty cut and dried to me. They sent it with no obligation, yours
to keep, yadayadayada. I wouldn't sweat it.

Also liked your differentiation between 'belonging' to BASS and 'being a
member'

John Kerr
October 5th, 2003, 01:38 AM
We have to deal with this kind of business all the time....don't waste
one minute of negative energy on it! Decide what you want to do, pay for
it, keep it and not pay for it, or send it back. Then forget it and go
sharpen some hooks, or respool a reel. Life's too short to fret over
frivolous stuff (It's that bass out there with your name on it that's
the matter!)....I think it was Omar Kyyam who wrote...."The bird of life
has but a short way to fly, and lo, the bird is on the wing!". <g>
JK

Bob Rickard
October 5th, 2003, 03:38 AM
IMHO, anything that imposes unrequested actions on customers for the purpose
of attaining profits is a scam.

Bob

"Marty" > wrote in message

> Bob Rickard > wrote in message
> y.com...
> > You didn't ask for it, so why go to all the trouble to return it?
Actions
> > such as yours help keep scams like this alive.
>
> It wasn't any trouble to return it, just put it into a postage-paid,
> B.A.S.S.-supplied package and drop it in a mailbox. Maybe this is just
> semantics, but I don't view it as a scam. It might be a business practice
> some of us don't care for, but the book was received from an organization
we
> belong to, and they didn't try to hide the fact that we didn't have to
> return it.

Josh
October 8th, 2003, 01:13 AM
I sent mine back to . . . FLW Tour? <g>

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

TNBass
October 29th, 2003, 01:30 AM
After my 3rd note today, I figured I'd better respond to BASS, so here's
what I emailed them:
---------------------
Hey, there.

I just read a letter from Jack Owens, BASS Director Product Programs. I
always enjoy Jack's notes (this was my third), even though you wouldn't know
it to judge by my poor manners. I admit, I'm not very good about writing
folks back. And I haven't even made the time to thank him for the book. Maw
would skin me if she found out I'd dropped off on my thank-you notes like
that.

Now, I don't know Jack personally, but I can tell he's a real joker... you
must enjoy working with him. I bet he's always kidding around. Like just
today... I got that letter from him thanking me for previewing my
unsolicited copy of _Advanced Bass Fishing Skills: Best Lures, Techniques
and Presentations_ . He sent the book to me awhile back, and today he
suggested that I send him a check or return it if I decided not to pay for
it. Haw-haw! That was a good one, wasn't it? Whoo-ee! I'll chuckle about
that for a week!

Well, I better close this now. Tell Jack I liked his joke. It was just the
right blend of optimism and understated salesmanship. One of these cold
winter days, when I get some time in front of the fireplace with a mug of
coffee and that book, I'll remember fondly him and all the good folks who
sent this book to me.

Well... thanks for the free book. If you decide to send out any more
complimentary literature like this in the future, please keep me in mind.

Regards,

Joe
______________
"Josh" > wrote in message
I sent mine back to . . . FLW Tour? <g>

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

John Kerr
October 29th, 2003, 01:41 AM
TNbass....watch that last sentence where you "asked" them to keep ya in
mind, might not be "unsolicited" after the invite you gave them <g>!

TNBass
October 29th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Right.... of course, they'd have to jump over the words "free" and
"complimentary" on their way to the solicitation part.

TNBass
__________
"John Kerr" > wrote in message
TNbass....watch that last sentence where you "asked" them to keep ya in
mind, might not be "unsolicited" after the invite you gave them <g>!

Bob Rickard
October 30th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Well done, Joe!

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"TNBass" > wrote in message
> Right.... of course, they'd have to jump over the words "free" and
> "complimentary" on their way to the solicitation part.
>
> TNBass
> "John Kerr" > wrote in message
> TNbass....watch that last sentence where you "asked" them to keep ya in
> mind, might not be "unsolicited" after the invite you gave them <g>!

Josh
October 30th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Joe well done ? Thought he was more med rare. But call em what you will. <g>

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear