PDA

View Full Version : new to fishing

Eric Delongchamp
October 15th, 2003, 09:47 PM
I just bought a new fishing rod ugly stick spl 1100 7'ft my dad give
me is old reel a Cardinal 754 witch he did not use very much at all,
like new. I be fishing for pike, walleye, rainbow or lake trout. Is
that a good combo to start with? Thanks.

_jj_
October 16th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Just about spit my beer ... that is my old combo !
Not a thing wrong with it. I had a hard time finding a second spool
for my reel ..
Tight Lines !
John T.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:47:04 -0400, Eric Delongchamp
> wrote:

>I just bought a new fishing rod ugly stick spl 1100 7'ft my dad give
>me is old reel a Cardinal 754 witch he did not use very much at all,
>like new. I be fishing for pike, walleye, rainbow or lake trout. Is
>that a good combo to start with? Thanks.

smiles
October 16th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Great outfit. Very tough rod, and a great reel. Excellent for bass, pike,
lake trout, walleye. A bit heavy for brook trout, but many use a similar
combo for trout and catch as many trout as anyone else. The rod may be a
bit soft and springy for walleye....I prefer a much lighter stiffer rod, but
the rod you have is fine. For a newbie, you are starting out with good rod
and reel combination. Now...do yourself a favour and buy some 14lb Fireline
(10 lb size line), add 5 or 6 feet of 8 or 10 lb mono to the end of the
Fireline. Some would say that lighter line should be used, but until you
get a few fishing days under your belt, use stronger line.