PDA

View Full Version : Books on fishing in Algonquin area & Eastern Ontario

Mike from Ottawa
October 29th, 2003, 02:42 AM
It's been very quiet in this group. Early hibernation?

I was at the CAA in Orleans (an eastern suburb of Ottawa) during the
summer, and found 2 soft-covered books that I just had to pick up:

1 - Fishing Ontario - Eastern Ontario
published by Mussio Ventures, 2002, New Westminster, BC
It's got depth charts for most of the major lakes in Eastern Ontario,
showing buildings and access, with write-ups on access & fish species
(e.g., Bob's Lake, Charleston Lake, Clear Lake, Dalhousie Lake,
Mississippi Lake, White Lake).

2 - Backroad Mapbook - Algonquin Region
published by Mussio Ventures, 2001, New Westminster, BC
It's got maps on a 1:125,000 scale, from Cobden in the west to Burk's
Falls in the east, and Maynooth in the south to Mattawa in the north.
The maps don't show topography, but only lakes, rivers and roads. It
also shows campsites in Algonquin Park. Text in the beginning of the
book mention fish species and describes access and campsites.

The first book is more interesting, simply because of the depth
charts.

Then you can add this site:
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/guide/index.htm
which gives you the Ontario guide to eating sport fish, and this site:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/fishing/gen.html
which gives you the current fishing regulations.

Something to mull over during the winter, while sipping a hot toddy,
and cleaning your reels.

---
Mike from Ottawa