PDA

View Full Version : not much action

smiles
November 23rd, 2003, 07:01 AM
It sure has been quiet here this past year. I remember when this newsgroup
was formed. It was because we Canadians wanted a site of our own and there
were a bunch of people who had things to say. What happened? Where is
Lothar of the Hill People and Dan in the Bush??

Gone Angling
November 23rd, 2003, 09:52 PM
Does anybody know where suick lures are sold?

Dan in the Bush....
November 24th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Dan in the bush is now in the Muskoka's of ontario getting foiled by
wretched rainbow trout and specks. He has been battling against bass and
spending a lot of time with his four year old, who amazes other dads with
his 70 foot casting abilities on an open face reel. (and he's been learning
to chip a golf ball out of sand to a higher degree of accuracy than his dad
as well.... sigh....)

Been an active summer, learning how to fish trout. Finding out that those
silly books that spoke of sneaking up on streams and using #12 to #16 hooks
weren't so silly after all. The fish up north we had weren't educated and I
could just walk up to the swamp-ponds using about a #6 hook and a worm and
catch dinner. Apparently the fish schools are better educated the further
south you go. And learned that my 6 foot medium action rod won't allow me to
use the ultra fine 3 lb test line I need as a leader either. Whenever the
'bow gets close to shore, it does the head shake thing that seems to tell me
"not today" and snaps the line. Rod isn't whippy enough to absorb the jerks
and I lose them. So this winter when I spend X-mas in niagara/hamilton
area, I will be looking for a noodle rod.

But met quite a few good people and a couple of real idiots, kept my cool
and had a pair of fisherment earn my respect when they finnished packing up
their gear from thier excellent day of fishing (ten feet from me while I got
skunked....) and promptly whipped out a couple garbage bags and set to work.
I was very impressed with that, as the harbor/ reserve that we were fishing
on didn't seem to care about picking up the garbage themselves. They even
hauled it away with a cheerful wave goodbye.

That's what's been keeping my days full lately.

And nobody's started any moronic threads about what size cannon they should
mount on their boat to protect themselves from the pirates on the great
slave lake or the erie canal marauders we are known for.

What have you been up to?

Dan in the bush....... (civilized Muskoka bush now.....)
"smiles" > wrote in message
> It sure has been quiet here this past year. I remember when this
newsgroup
> was formed. It was because we Canadians wanted a site of our own and
there
> were a bunch of people who had things to say. What happened? Where is
> Lothar of the Hill People and Dan in the Bush??

Dark Knight
November 24th, 2003, 05:10 AM
That's a good question - haven't heard of Lothar in ages!!!

DK

"smiles" > wrote in message
> It sure has been quiet here this past year. I remember when this
newsgroup
> was formed. It was because we Canadians wanted a site of our own and
there
> were a bunch of people who had things to say. What happened? Where is
> Lothar of the Hill People and Dan in the Bush??

smiles
November 24th, 2003, 10:03 PM
If you live in an area that has no musky or large pike fishing....suick
lures may be hard to find. They are expensive (15 to 20 dollars) Why not
make your own? Get some doweling from a hardware store or use a hockey
stick, some wire, some large high quality treble hooks, some long drill
bits, some primer and glossy oil paint. Have some fun. Make some huge
"Zara Spooks". With a bit of experimentation, you could even add a metal
lip at each end of the lure and make a "suick". I bet there are internet
sites that show how to do this.

"Gone Angling" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know where suick lures are sold?

Rivers North
November 24th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Moving last year has been terrible...imagine moving to a house on 2 acres of
land right on the Skeena River...I mean how much time does a man
have...between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
Kings,Sockeye,Steelhead, to August's Coho and Steelhead, to September's
Northern Coho and yes even bigger Steelhead, to October's Northerns and
Steelhead, to November's Rainbow and Steelhead, to December's Steelhead and
Dollies and on and on it goes...the only reason I am in the house today is
the weatherman...that asshole...arranged for our second snow fall in two
winters just yesterday...supposed to be raining tomorrow so it will be back
fishing by Wednesday....I will post a picture of my best Steelhead that I
managed to get a look at on alt.binaries.pictures.fishing peace gord p

Sam Salmon
November 25th, 2003, 02:04 AM
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:25:36 GMT, "Rivers North"
> wrote:

..between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
>Kings,

If you mean Spring Salmon then say so-Canadians don't use the word
K*** for Oncorhynchus Tshawytcha

Rivers North
November 25th, 2003, 05:15 PM
..between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
>Kings,

If you mean Spring Salmon then say so-Canadians don't use the word
K*** for Oncorhynchus Tshawytcha

Sam Salmon should know that the first people's word for Oncorhynchus
Tshawytcha is Tyee... which translated means King....I think the should be
called Sofa Kings...you know because they are So ****ing Huge...peace gord p

F t B
November 25th, 2003, 11:18 PM
"Rivers North" > wrote in message
> .between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
> >Kings,
>
> If you mean Spring Salmon then say so-Canadians don't use the word
> K*** for Oncorhynchus Tshawytcha
>

> Sam Salmon should know that the first people's word for Oncorhynchus
> Tshawytcha is Tyee... which translated means King....I think the should be
> called Sofa Kings...you know because they are So ****ing Huge...peace gord

We call em' chinook or springs around here. Tyee is usually refered to a 40+
pound chinook.
King is an american term, but thankfully I'm not an american, so I'll stick
with chinook, spring and tyee.

Gone Angling
November 26th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Rivernorth
Do you fish close to where you live or do you have to travel up the river?

Rivers North
November 26th, 2003, 03:14 PM
I live within twenty minutes of at least five rivers... and in season I have
my boat tied up in front of my house...peace gord p

Gone Angling
November 27th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Do you need a big boat to navigate those rivers. I saw on TV where they were
using a jet boat to go up the Skeena River.

Rivers North
November 27th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Well I ran this river for the first ten years or so with a Zodiac with a
35hp motor with a propeller...I wouldn't recommend a 12ft boat with a 9.9
motor...but anything bigger and with at least a 20 hp motor and you should
be fine...The Skeena like any river will swallow you whole if you
screw-up...come prepared and your trip will be great ...the river is on a
high cycle of returns... the runs should be good now for the next 8-9
years..I know this year the only run that wasn't really great was the
Sockeye...but they are suppose to have a high return again next year...If
you are thinking about making a trip out here I would recommend that you
take in a days ocean fishing...it's only an hours drive from Terrace to
Prince Rupert where you can get some great Halibut,cod and Salmon
action....peace gord p

Rock Wolf
November 28th, 2003, 09:18 PM
"Rivers North" > wrote in message news:<J6Mwb.19754$oN2.18917@edtnps84>...
> .between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
> >Kings,
>
> If you mean Spring Salmon then say so-Canadians don't use the word
> K*** for Oncorhynchus Tshawytcha
>

> Sam Salmon should know that the first people's word for Oncorhynchus
> Tshawytcha is Tyee... which translated means King....

There is no precise translation for the flexible "Chinook Jargon"
word, tyee. Tyee comes: "From the Nootkan or Wakashan languages of
Vancouver Island, meaning a chief, boss, leader, or anything large or
superior of its kind." {Kenneth (Greg) Watson}

A large salmon would certainly be a tyee salmon, and changing that to
king salmon is not wrong, but it is not a translation, nor more
precise than changing it to chief salmon, or as precise as leaving it
as tyee.

vb
November 28th, 2003, 11:21 PM
La Barons