PDA

View Full Version : Mail ordering from the States

Jim & Lil
February 18th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Hello Group,
Are there any Canadians that buy from the States that could advise on this
question?
I haven't ordered any stuff from the USA for about ten years or so. I
USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real hassle at
all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to clear customs
etc...
I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and camping
stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still cheaper
than Canada even after the exchange rate.
So my question is this ...
What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?

Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim

Dan Hosek
February 18th, 2004, 04:19 PM
"Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in
:

> Hello Group,
> Are there any Canadians that buy from the States that could advise
> on this
> question?
> I haven't ordered any stuff from the USA for about ten years or
> so. I
> USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real
> hassle at all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to
> clear customs etc...
> I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and
> camping
> stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still
> cheaper than Canada even after the exchange rate.
> So my question is this ...
> What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
> fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
> Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim

Not a Canadian, but I like to believe I'm one at heart (we cottage up on
the Rideau). I have had my marina order parts from the States, and other
than a longer lead-time, there didn't appear to be any hassle.

Also - Bass Pro Shops is opening a store in Ottawa, I believe. Not sure
of that is an option, but hey, trying to be helpful.

The Moe Syzlak Experience \(featuring Homer\)
February 19th, 2004, 01:08 AM
I have ordered several items from the US for my boat. I have never had a
problem.

--
The Moe Syzlak Experience (featuring Homer)
Windf*&ked AB
"Dan Hosek" > wrote in message
> "Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in
> :
>
> > Hello Group,
> > Are there any Canadians that buy from the States that could advise
> > on this
> > question?
> > I haven't ordered any stuff from the USA for about ten years or
> > so. I
> > USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real
> > hassle at all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to
> > clear customs etc...
> > I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and
> > camping
> > stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still
> > cheaper than Canada even after the exchange rate.
> > So my question is this ...
> > What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
> > fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
> > Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim
>

> Not a Canadian, but I like to believe I'm one at heart (we cottage up on
> the Rideau). I have had my marina order parts from the States, and other
> than a longer lead-time, there didn't appear to be any hassle.
>
> Also - Bass Pro Shops is opening a store in Ottawa, I believe. Not sure
> of that is an option, but hey, trying to be helpful.

Jim & Lil
February 19th, 2004, 03:31 AM
made the order this eveing....thanks for the advice

wrote in message news:H0UYb.23040$Ff2.20065@clgrps12...
> I have ordered several items from the US for my boat. I have never had a
> problem.
>
> --
> The Moe Syzlak Experience (featuring Homer)
> Windf*&ked AB
> "Dan Hosek" > wrote in message
> > "Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in
> > :
> >
> > > Hello Group,
> > > Are there any Canadians that buy from the States that could advise
> > > on this
> > > question?
> > > I haven't ordered any stuff from the USA for about ten years or
> > > so. I
> > > USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real
> > > hassle at all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to
> > > clear customs etc...
> > > I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and
> > > camping
> > > stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still
> > > cheaper than Canada even after the exchange rate.
> > > So my question is this ...
> > > What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
> > > fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
> > > Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim
> >

> > Not a Canadian, but I like to believe I'm one at heart (we cottage up on
> > the Rideau). I have had my marina order parts from the States, and
other
> > than a longer lead-time, there didn't appear to be any hassle.
> >
> > Also - Bass Pro Shops is opening a store in Ottawa, I believe. Not sure
> > of that is an option, but hey, trying to be helpful.

Dark Knight
February 19th, 2004, 05:24 AM
I deal with both Cabelas and Bass Pro, and haven't had any real difficulties
at all.

DK

"Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hello Group,
> Are there any Canadians that buy from the States that could advise on
this
> question?
> I haven't ordered any stuff from the USA for about ten years or so.
> USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real hassle
at
> all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to clear customs
> etc...
> I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and camping
> stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still cheaper
> than Canada even after the exchange rate.
> So my question is this ...
> What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
> fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
> Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim

smiles
February 19th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Hey Dan, do you do any lake trout fishing in the Rideau Lakes? Are you
successful at it? Which town is your cottage close to?

--
http://www.bluezone.best.cd/
"Dan Hosek" > wrote in message

> Not a Canadian, but I like to believe I'm one at heart (we cottage up on
> the Rideau). I have had my marina order parts from the States, and other
> than a longer lead-time, there didn't appear to be any hassle.
>
> Also - Bass Pro Shops is opening a store in Ottawa, I believe. Not sure
> of that is an option, but hey, trying to be helpful.

Fleaman
February 19th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Make sure you find out who they ship with. If its a small item and there
will be minimal duty, dont go with UPS, they charge a flat rate of 50$ for
brokering the item. USPS is the better choice, then you just pay duty when
you pick it up at the post office. I am not sure the brokerage rate for
larger items are. The Item I ordered was a 15$ baseball cap and it cost me
50 bucks to get the parcel, it was a huge rip off.
Other than that, I have had no problems ordering stuff from the US. Most of
the time they give you options on shipping. Do some research and find out
the best deal.

Jason
"Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hello Group,
> Are there any Canadians that buy from the States that could advise on
this
> question?
> I haven't ordered any stuff from the USA for about ten years or so.
> USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real hassle
at
> all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to clear customs
> etc...
> I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and camping
> stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still cheaper
> than Canada even after the exchange rate.
> So my question is this ...
> What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
> fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
> Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim

smiles
February 20th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Some items cannot be shipped to Canada because the retailers have agreements
with distributors and companies. Try to buy a sonar by Eagle and you will
see. Also, stay away from UPS. Always go with USPS. There is a kind of
tacit agreement between USPS and Canada Post so that small items under 20
dollars, most normal parcels, etc go through customs like corn mush through
a goose. UPS, does not have such an agreement and must go through customs.
This is where you end up paying for a bunch of extra costs (mostly handling
fees). UPS is taking the Canadian government to court with allegations of
unfair competition by Canada Post. Yes, in the trade agreement, small
companies can take the Canadian government to court. I can see every
American medical company each taking his turn hauling Canada into the court
room. Often the court costs are too expensive so Canada just shuts up and
forks out the dollars to small U.S. companies who win their case and court
costs are paid by the loser.

--
http://www.bluezone.best.cd/

"Fleaman" > wrote in message
> Make sure you find out who they ship with. If its a small item and there
> will be minimal duty, dont go with UPS, they charge a flat rate of 50$
for
> brokering the item. USPS is the better choice, then you just pay duty
when
> you pick it up at the post office. I am not sure the brokerage rate for
> larger items are. The Item I ordered was a 15$ baseball cap and it cost
me
> 50 bucks to get the parcel, it was a huge rip off.
> Other than that, I have had no problems ordering stuff from the US. Most
of
> the time they give you options on shipping. Do some research and find out
> the best deal.
>
> Jason
> "Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Hello Group,
> > Are there any Canadians that buy from the States that could advise on
> this
> > question?
> > I haven't ordered any stuff from the USA for about ten years or
so.
> > USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real
hassle
> at
> > all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to clear
customs
> > etc...
> > I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and
camping
> > stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still
cheaper
> > than Canada even after the exchange rate.
> > So my question is this ...
> > What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
> > fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
> > Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim

Dark Knight
February 21st, 2004, 04:08 AM
I deal with shipping across the border on an almost weekly basis - DON"T USE
UPS!!! I've had so many problems that way... Try to have everything go
FedEx. Perhaps a bit more expensive, but the service - and the condition of
your package - are worth it in my opinion.

DK

"smiles" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
> so.
> > > USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real
> hassle
> > at
> > > all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to clear
> customs
> > > etc...
> > > I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and
> camping
> > > stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still
> cheaper
> > > than Canada even after the exchange rate.
> > > So my question is this ...
> > > What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
> > > fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
> > > Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim

February 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
"smiles" > wrote in news:Ko5Zb.19040$hR5.136788
@wagner.videotron.net:

> Hey Dan, do you do any lake trout fishing in the Rideau Lakes? Are you
> successful at it? Which town is your cottage close to?

One of our boats is at Bayview in Portland. The rest are at the cottage
(water access only).

Haven't really tried too much for the trout (yet), mostly a
bass/pike/walleye kind of guy. Although, not too much luck with the
walleye in Canada. Used to slaughter them in the States when I was a kid.

Tim Jokela
April 4th, 2004, 05:15 PM
>> So my question is this ...
>> What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
>> fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?

You probably won't experience any hassle at all, but do expect to pay tax,
duty, shipping, and maybe a brokerage fee. All minor problems if you're
ordering small, inexpensive stuff. If you're unlucky, it could add ten
bucks to a fifteen dollar order, so not the choice of penny pinchers.
Patronize your local tackle shop if at all possible. For a lot of big
fishing companies, mail order is a major part of their biz, so they've got
it down to an art. Got a fish finder from Cabela's this winter, it arrived
quickly, and beautifully boxed, they're an impressive company.
Import/export is my biz; 90% into the US, everything goes all to hell when
they announce another orange alert. Importing though is no trouble, if you
can avoid the asshole inspectors and sticky fingered employees.