PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Fly fishing lessons....

Jim
March 20th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Hi,

Anybody in the Regina Sask area that knows how to cast with a fly rod?
My wife and I would sure appreciate a demonstration as we would like to take
this type of fishing up. Thanks. to reply take out the obvious or just reply
to this posting here. Jim

Sam Salmon
March 20th, 2004, 06:31 PM
didi you phone your local Fly Shop and ask?

jim.morris> wrote:

>Hi,
>
> Anybody in the Regina Sask area that knows how to cast with a fly rod?
>My wife and I would sure appreciate a demonstration as we would like to take
>this type of fishing up. Thanks. to reply take out the obvious or just reply
>to this posting here. Jim

_jj_
March 20th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Also, check out the "general interest" night classes that are
offered in many communities ... Board Of Education ; Community
College; Sportsman Club; if none are offered - drum-up enough
interest and organize one yourself ... ? There are probably other
folks just like you who would love a new hobby.
Good luck.
John T.

> did you phone your local Fly Shop and ask?

>>Hi,
>> Anybody in the Regina Sask area that knows how to cast with a fly rod?
>>My wife and I would sure appreciate a demonstration as we would like to take
>>this type of fishing up. Thanks. to reply take out the obvious or just reply
>>to this posting here. Jim

Jim
March 21st, 2004, 12:01 AM
Aren't any local fly shops in this area Sam...thanks anyways...Jim
"Sam Salmon" > wrote in message
> didi you phone your local Fly Shop and ask?
>

> jim.morris> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> > Anybody in the Regina Sask area that knows how to cast with a fly
rod?
> >My wife and I would sure appreciate a demonstration as we would like to
take
> >this type of fishing up. Thanks. to reply take out the obvious or just
reply
> >to this posting here. Jim

Jim
March 21st, 2004, 12:03 AM
Hi John.
, We have a wildlife federation here but in order to belong to a club
you must particoipate. I have no time as I have my own buisness. I also am a
part time instructor at a local college and don't know of any such interests
at all.

Thanks anyways....jim
"_jj_" > wrote in message

> Also, check out the "general interest" night classes that are
> offered in many communities ... Board Of Education ; Community
> College; Sportsman Club; if none are offered - drum-up enough
> interest and organize one yourself ... ? There are probably other
> folks just like you who would love a new hobby.
> Good luck.
> John T.
>

> > did you phone your local Fly Shop and ask?
>

> >>Hi,
> >> Anybody in the Regina Sask area that knows how to cast with a fly
rod?
> >>My wife and I would sure appreciate a demonstration as we would like to
take
> >>this type of fishing up. Thanks. to reply take out the obvious or just
reply
> >>to this posting here. Jim

Sam Salmon
March 21st, 2004, 03:18 AM
There is however a local Fly Fishing Club in Regina who I'm sure would
be Happy to help-
'friendly Priaire folk' and all that
http://www.flatlandflyfishers.com/

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:01:15 -0600, "Jim" <jim.morris> wrote:

>Aren't any local fly shops in this area Sam...thanks anyways...Jim
>"Sam Salmon" > wrote in message
>> didi you phone your local Fly Shop and ask?
>>

>> jim.morris> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> > Anybody in the Regina Sask area that knows how to cast with a fly
>rod?
>> >My wife and I would sure appreciate a demonstration as we would like to
>take
>> >this type of fishing up. Thanks. to reply take out the obvious or just
>reply
>> >to this posting here. Jim

Steve & Chris Clark
March 21st, 2004, 01:18 PM
I would check out a fly fishing newsgroup, I think there are a couple. They
should be able to fix you up with a couple of web sites that have animated
instructional aids just for this! If you pay my airfare would gladly come
and show in person. LOL!

---

Jim
March 21st, 2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks Sam,

I hadn't realized these folks even existed in Regina. I will contact them
to see if they would give lessons. No time to joing any clubs though.
Regards and thanks again...Jim

"Sam Salmon" > wrote in message

> There is however a local Fly Fishing Club in Regina who I'm sure would
> be Happy to help-
> 'friendly Priaire folk' and all that
> http://www.flatlandflyfishers.com/
>

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:01:15 -0600, "Jim" <jim.morris> wrote:
>
> >Aren't any local fly shops in this area Sam...thanks anyways...Jim
> >"Sam Salmon" > wrote in message
> >> didi you phone your local Fly Shop and ask?

> >rod?
> >take
> >reply

Peter Charles
March 22nd, 2004, 09:08 AM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:08:51 -0600, "Jim" <jim.morris> wrote:

>Hi,
>
> Anybody in the Regina Sask area that knows how to cast with a fly rod?
>My wife and I would sure appreciate a demonstration as we would like to take
>this type of fishing up. Thanks. to reply take out the obvious or just reply
>to this posting here. Jim

I live further east so I can't help with finding lessons but here's a
link to a UK site that has beginner instruction.

http://www.sexyloops.com/beginners/index.shtml

They also have a beginers discussion board where you can ask
questions. There's also rec.outdoors.fishing.fly where you can ask
about lessons in your area. Probably won't get too many responses as
I can't think of any contributors who are from your neighbourhood, but
it's worth a try.

I went through some old business cards and I located Battle Creek
Flies in Maple Creek, Sask 306-662-2567 -- it's an old card so I
don't know if they're still around, but you never know . . . . These
guys might be able to help too.

http://members.shaw.ca/kilpatrickflyfishers/

Some basic info:

Buy your gear at a fly shop, not a tackle shop or Canadian Tire. You
might save a few bucks by going the latter route but without someone
experienced along with you, you're likely going to buy something that
isn't going to work very well. Buying fly gear isn't like getting
ordinary tackle. The fly rod and line has to be matched up by line
weight. The rod and line you buy should be suitable for the fish and
the condtitions. Drop me an email about where and what you're
planning to fish for and I can make a few recommendations.

Your idea to get lessons is an excellent one as so many beginners try
to learn on their own and get frustrated then quit. It's not
difficult but there are a few obvious mistakes that everyone makes,
that an experienced instructor will move you past very quickly. You
may want to see if you can use the instructors gear before you commit
to buying your own, however, there is an advantage in learning on your
own stuff.

Good luck

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Allen
March 31st, 2004, 03:41 AM
If you ever get to Daytona Fl. I can show you how to
fly fish for Red Fish and Gator Trout for free... Stop in at
http://sea4two.net
and say hello
Allen