PDA

View Full Version : Bass Teeth

Bob La Londe
October 7th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but here goes. The last time I was
out on the river I spent some time exploring some back channels throwing
worms in front of bass.

One really nice looking two pounder I caught seemed to have exceptional
teeth.

I tried to hold him up for a picture a couple times, but every time he
wiggled I dropped him. In fact when I lipped him into the boat it was a
little uncomfortable. Almost like pressing my thumb against a fresh wire
brush.

They weren't so big as to cut up my thumb or anything, but they were big
enough that it was very uncomfortable when he wiggled.

It was a beaughtifully marked largemouth caught out of the mouth of a back
lake in a back lake.

Anybody ever notice a bass with larger than normal teeth?

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Andrew Kidd
October 7th, 2003, 01:35 AM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but here goes. The last time I
was
> out on the river I spent some time exploring some back channels throwing
> worms in front of bass.
>
> One really nice looking two pounder I caught seemed to have exceptional
> teeth.
>
> I tried to hold him up for a picture a couple times, but every time he
> wiggled I dropped him. In fact when I lipped him into the boat it was a
> little uncomfortable. Almost like pressing my thumb against a fresh wire
> brush.
>
> They weren't so big as to cut up my thumb or anything, but they were big
> enough that it was very uncomfortable when he wiggled.
>
> It was a beaughtifully marked largemouth caught out of the mouth of a back
> lake in a back lake.
>
> Anybody ever notice a bass with larger than normal teeth?

I've noticed this on several different occasions. It struck me as strange
that they always seemed to come from very isolated areas. I always thought
of it as coincidence, but who knows. Maybe the same gene that causes the
larger teeth also causes the fish to seek out isolation away from busy
areas???
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Bob La Londe
October 7th, 2003, 01:43 AM
"Andrew Kidd" > wrote in message

> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but here goes. The last time I
> was
> > out on the river I spent some time exploring some back channels throwing
> > worms in front of bass.
> >
> > One really nice looking two pounder I caught seemed to have exceptional
> > teeth.
> >
> > I tried to hold him up for a picture a couple times, but every time he
> > wiggled I dropped him. In fact when I lipped him into the boat it was a
> > little uncomfortable. Almost like pressing my thumb against a fresh
wire
> > brush.
> >
> > They weren't so big as to cut up my thumb or anything, but they were big
> > enough that it was very uncomfortable when he wiggled.
> >
> > It was a beaughtifully marked largemouth caught out of the mouth of a
back
> > lake in a back lake.
> >
> > Anybody ever notice a bass with larger than normal teeth?
> >

> I've noticed this on several different occasions. It struck me as strange
> that they always seemed to come from very isolated areas. I always
thought
> of it as coincidence, but who knows. Maybe the same gene that causes the
> larger teeth also causes the fish to seek out isolation away from busy
> areas???

Hmmm..... If I follow your premise out to its logical conclusion its
probalby a good thing I didn't catch the really big guy that was back there
with him then huh?

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE

Charles B. Summers
October 7th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Oh boy!! A question that I think I actually know!

I was told by a guy that I was fishing one time... to find out what the fish
have been eating over the past week or so was to feel their lips. If they
were rough... they had been eating craws and other crunchy critters.

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but here goes. The last time I
was
> out on the river I spent some time exploring some back channels throwing
> worms in front of bass.
>
> One really nice looking two pounder I caught seemed to have exceptional
> teeth.
>
> I tried to hold him up for a picture a couple times, but every time he
> wiggled I dropped him. In fact when I lipped him into the boat it was a
> little uncomfortable. Almost like pressing my thumb against a fresh wire
> brush.
>
> They weren't so big as to cut up my thumb or anything, but they were big
> enough that it was very uncomfortable when he wiggled.
>
> It was a beaughtifully marked largemouth caught out of the mouth of a back
> lake in a back lake.
>
> Anybody ever notice a bass with larger than normal teeth?
>

> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE

Bob La Londe
October 7th, 2003, 02:11 AM
> Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote
in message ...
> Oh boy!! A question that I think I actually know!
>
> I was told by a guy that I was fishing one time... to find out what the
fish
> have been eating over the past week or so was to feel their lips. If they
> were rough... they had been eating craws and other crunchy critters.

Maybe, but this just seemed like bigger teeth.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE

> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org
> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but here goes. The last time I
> was
> > out on the river I spent some time exploring some back channels throwing
> > worms in front of bass.
> >
> > One really nice looking two pounder I caught seemed to have exceptional
> > teeth.
> >
> > I tried to hold him up for a picture a couple times, but every time he
> > wiggled I dropped him. In fact when I lipped him into the boat it was a
> > little uncomfortable. Almost like pressing my thumb against a fresh
wire
> > brush.
> >
> > They weren't so big as to cut up my thumb or anything, but they were big
> > enough that it was very uncomfortable when he wiggled.
> >
> > It was a beaughtifully marked largemouth caught out of the mouth of a
back
> > lake in a back lake.
> >
> > Anybody ever notice a bass with larger than normal teeth?
> >

> > --
> > Bob La Londe
> > Yuma, Az
> > http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> > ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE

Steve Erwin
October 7th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Those be the Tony Robbins/ Carly Simon strain DNR is exploring, LOL.

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but here goes. The last time I
was
> out on the river I spent some time exploring some back channels throwing
> worms in front of bass.
>
> One really nice looking two pounder I caught seemed to have exceptional
> teeth.
>
> I tried to hold him up for a picture a couple times, but every time he
> wiggled I dropped him. In fact when I lipped him into the boat it was a
> little uncomfortable. Almost like pressing my thumb against a fresh wire
> brush.
>
> They weren't so big as to cut up my thumb or anything, but they were big
> enough that it was very uncomfortable when he wiggled.
>
> It was a beaughtifully marked largemouth caught out of the mouth of a back
> lake in a back lake.
>
> Anybody ever notice a bass with larger than normal teeth?
>

> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE

Craig
October 7th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Charles is on track. I have read it in Bassmaster, In-Fisherman, or other
bass mag that bass with sharper eat are those that feed on shad or other
fish for their regular diet. Where bass duller teeth either have a mixed
diet of crawfish and shad or feed exclusively off the bottom.

--
Craig

Chuck Coger
October 7th, 2003, 06:56 AM
First thing that jumped into my head was a that he had caught a spot. Their
teeth are usually a little bigger than brother largemouth, and when he said
it was beautifully marked, well spots tend to have the brighter markings in
the lakes I have fished.

Next time check their tongue and see if they have a rough patch on it, if
they do then you got a spot. If not then I would be clueless.

I guess crawfish dull their teeth down, was that a reason they gave?

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"Craig" > wrote in message
m...
> Charles is on track. I have read it in Bassmaster, In-Fisherman, or other
> bass mag that bass with sharper eat are those that feed on shad or other
> fish for their regular diet. Where bass duller teeth either have a mixed
> diet of crawfish and shad or feed exclusively off the bottom.
>
> --
> Craig

RichZ
October 7th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Chuck wrote:
> First thing that jumped into my head was a that he had caught a spot

My thought, exactly, when I read the topic starter.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

BassQueen
October 7th, 2003, 08:45 AM
I didn't know bass had teeth, yet alone a tongue. Guess I'll have to stop
and look next time instead of just posing for the picture with my big catch.

--BQ

"RichZ" > wrote in message
> Chuck wrote:
> > First thing that jumped into my head was a that he had caught a spot
> >
> My thought, exactly, when I read the topic starter.
>
> RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing

alwaysfishking
October 7th, 2003, 12:06 PM
maybe those bass have a good dentist in the family, or hang out with musky
friends, either way if he bit you I'd bite him back : )
"BassQueen" > wrote in message
> I didn't know bass had teeth, yet alone a tongue. Guess I'll have to stop
> and look next time instead of just posing for the picture with my big
catch.

> --BQ
>

> "RichZ" > wrote in message
> > Chuck wrote:
> > > First thing that jumped into my head was a that he had caught a spot
> > >
> > My thought, exactly, when I read the topic starter.
> >
> > RichZ©
> > www.richz.com/fishing

Jeff Durham
October 7th, 2003, 07:31 PM
My two year old son and I were fishing in the local neighborhood retention
pond last evening. He caught an 8" bass that had some exceptional teeth. I
was surprised because these teeth were bigger than the teeth on larger fish
I have caught.

Jeff

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but here goes. The last time I
was
> out on the river I spent some time exploring some back channels throwing
> worms in front of bass.
>
> One really nice looking two pounder I caught seemed to have exceptional
> teeth.
>
> I tried to hold him up for a picture a couple times, but every time he
> wiggled I dropped him. In fact when I lipped him into the boat it was a
> little uncomfortable. Almost like pressing my thumb against a fresh wire
> brush.
>
> They weren't so big as to cut up my thumb or anything, but they were big
> enough that it was very uncomfortable when he wiggled.
>
> It was a beaughtifully marked largemouth caught out of the mouth of a back
> lake in a back lake.
>
> Anybody ever notice a bass with larger than normal teeth?
>

> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE

Rich Conley
October 8th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Maybe the teeth get worn down from eating craws and such, and teh fish in our
isolated area is eating mostly minnows?

Bob La Londe wrote:

> > Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote
> in message ...
> > Oh boy!! A question that I think I actually know!
> >
> > I was told by a guy that I was fishing one time... to find out what the
> fish
> > have been eating over the past week or so was to feel their lips. If they
> > were rough... they had been eating craws and other crunchy critters.
> >

> Maybe, but this just seemed like bigger teeth.
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE
>
> > --
> > Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> > www.secretweaponlures.com
> > www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> > www.midtennclassic.org
> > "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > > Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but here goes. The last time I
> > was
> > > out on the river I spent some time exploring some back channels throwing
> > > worms in front of bass.
> > >
> > > One really nice looking two pounder I caught seemed to have exceptional
> > > teeth.
> > >
> > > I tried to hold him up for a picture a couple times, but every time he
> > > wiggled I dropped him. In fact when I lipped him into the boat it was a
> > > little uncomfortable. Almost like pressing my thumb against a fresh
> wire
> > > brush.
> > >
> > > They weren't so big as to cut up my thumb or anything, but they were big
> > > enough that it was very uncomfortable when he wiggled.
> > >
> > > It was a beaughtifully marked largemouth caught out of the mouth of a
> back
> > > lake in a back lake.
> > >
> > > Anybody ever notice a bass with larger than normal teeth?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Bob La Londe
> > > Yuma, Az
> > > http://www.YumaBassMan.com
> > > ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE

Charles B. Summers
October 8th, 2003, 09:44 PM
I knew I'd get it bass-ackwards.

.. .