PDA

View Full Version : Canada fishing trip

Kevin D. Snodgrass
April 22nd, 2004, 11:37 PM
We are going lake trout fishing in Manitoba, neer Reindeer
lake, in late May. I was wondering about any regulations,
especially at the border, that I should know about. Any
restrictions on GMRS/FRS radios? Large hunting knives?

Anything else a typical midwestern USA type should be aware
of? (I know I have to leave the guns behind.)

Also, what can we expect for tempuratures from May 29
through June 5? Are the mosquitos out and hungry this
early? I've been told that this time of year is about
ice-out on this lake. Therefore I assume daytime temps will
be around 40-50F (5-10C), and it may still freeze at night.

Fleaman
April 23rd, 2004, 02:49 AM
The daytime temps could be higher or lower, it just depends on the weather,
but I would pack for cold weather . I am not sure about the hunting knives,
but we use FRS radios here in Canada so it shouldnt be a problem taking
them.

"Kevin D. Snodgrass" > wrote in message
> We are going lake trout fishing in Manitoba, neer Reindeer
> lake, in late May. I was wondering about any regulations,
> especially at the border, that I should know about. Any
> restrictions on GMRS/FRS radios? Large hunting knives?
>
> Anything else a typical midwestern USA type should be aware
> of? (I know I have to leave the guns behind.)
>
> Also, what can we expect for tempuratures from May 29
> through June 5? Are the mosquitos out and hungry this
> early? I've been told that this time of year is about
> ice-out on this lake. Therefore I assume daytime temps will
> be around 40-50F (5-10C), and it may still freeze at night.

Sam Salmon
April 23rd, 2004, 05:40 AM
Knives are no problem-it's guns that make us nervous.
Very polite of you to ask-have a great trip and take lotsa warm
clothes.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:49:50 GMT, "Fleaman" >
wrote:

>The daytime temps could be higher or lower, it just depends on the weather,
>but I would pack for cold weather . I am not sure about the hunting knives,
>but we use FRS radios here in Canada so it shouldnt be a problem taking
>them.
>

>"Kevin D. Snodgrass" > wrote in message
>> We are going lake trout fishing in Manitoba, neer Reindeer
>> lake, in late May. I was wondering about any regulations,
>> especially at the border, that I should know about. Any
>> restrictions on GMRS/FRS radios? Large hunting knives?
>>
>> Anything else a typical midwestern USA type should be aware
>> of? (I know I have to leave the guns behind.)
>>
>> Also, what can we expect for tempuratures from May 29
>> through June 5? Are the mosquitos out and hungry this
>> early? I've been told that this time of year is about
>> ice-out on this lake. Therefore I assume daytime temps will
>> be around 40-50F (5-10C), and it may still freeze at night.

Kevin D. Snodgrass
April 23rd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Fleaman wrote:
> The daytime temps could be higher or lower, it just depends on the weather,
> but I would pack for cold weather . I am not sure about the hunting knives,
> but we use FRS radios here in Canada so it shouldnt be a problem taking
> them.

Thanks for the radio info.

How much colder? Everybody has a different definition of
cold. For example, my father will be wearing a winter coat
before I put on a long sleeve shirt. I expect overnight
lows below freezing to be at least possible.

Kevin D. Snodgrass
April 23rd, 2004, 08:09 AM
Sam Salmon wrote:
> Knives are no problem-it's guns that make us nervous.

Odd that, it's criminals that make me nervous. Less so when
I'm fully armed. At least then I have a chance

> Very polite of you to ask-have a great trip and take lotsa warm
> clothes.

Thank you.

Warm clothes are a relative thing. If the sun-up lows
aren't lower than about 20F/-8C I won't have to worry, a
long sleeve shirt will be fine for me. :-) I will bring a
wind-breaker type jacket in case it is windy, though.

Fleaman
April 23rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
I might go down to freezing in the evening but the days should be mild
10-20 degrees celsius. For the most part, June in Canada is nice and sunny,
with lots of warm weather and no frost, but you never know. If you are
fishing and the ice went out in the start of may, the lake will still be
cold and you will feel it in your boat.

"Kevin D. Snodgrass" > wrote in message
> Fleaman wrote:
> > The daytime temps could be higher or lower, it just depends on the
weather,
> > but I would pack for cold weather . I am not sure about the hunting
knives,
> > but we use FRS radios here in Canada so it shouldnt be a problem taking
> > them.
>

> Thanks for the radio info.
>
> How much colder? Everybody has a different definition of
> cold. For example, my father will be wearing a winter coat
> before I put on a long sleeve shirt. I expect overnight
> lows below freezing to be at least possible.

F t B
April 23rd, 2004, 04:29 PM
"Kevin D. Snodgrass" > wrote in message
> Sam Salmon wrote:
> > Knives are no problem-it's guns that make us nervous.
>
> Odd that, it's criminals that make me nervous. Less so when
> I'm fully armed. At least then I have a chance
Are you fishing in downtown Toronto? Just leave your guns at home, come on
up and enjoy yourself.

> > Very polite of you to ask-have a great trip and take lotsa warm
> > clothes.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Warm clothes are a relative thing. If the sun-up lows
> aren't lower than about 20F/-8C I won't have to worry, a
> long sleeve shirt will be fine for me. :-) I will bring a
> wind-breaker type jacket in case it is windy, though.

Gord
April 25th, 2004, 03:52 PM
"Kevin D. Snodgrass" > wrote in message
> We are going lake trout fishing in Manitoba, neer Reindeer
> lake, in late May.

Best you Google and check the government websites.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Fishing+regulations+Manitoba+government&ie=UTF
-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryCA

Also Manitoba has some very good information booths. There are some fish
restrictions on Walleye and some species if they spawn at this time . Now
this varies from location to location so it is best to call first.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/fish/

I was wondering about any regulations,
> especially at the border, that I should know about. Any
> restrictions on GMRS/FRS radios?

Yes half watt output. Unless you have a Ham Radio license. Amateur radio
licenses are respected.

> Large hunting knives?

Convention is that anything over 6" blade is a weapon. Although airports
restrict any pointy object.

Concealed weapons are a crime here. If you "carry" the knife be sure that it
shows, don't hide it under a jacket or in a pocket. Belt scabbard on the
waist for everyone to see. Or you can stash it in your pack.

It is why many knives in Canada are just under the 5" blade length. Police
consider every knife a weapon but if it is less they sort of give a serious
frown and don't say too much.

> Anything else a typical midwestern USA type should be aware
> of? (I know I have to leave the guns behind.)

You do not have to worry about bringing guns for hunting if you do not mind
registering them at the border. You really won't need a gun of any type
though. Its Canada not the US.

> Also, what can we expect for temperatures from May 29
> through June 5?

No one can tell, carry warm clothing but you could get a heat wave.

>Are the mosquitos out and hungry this
> early?

Yes. Manitoba is especially noted for this pest. You are going there when
they are emerging and are very hungry. Its not as bad as it sounds though. A
high DeeT repellent is effective. Mosquito netting and Pic coils work
wonders.

> I've been told that this time of year is about
> ice-out on this lake.

Ice breaks anywhere from the last week in April to mid May, you should be
okay.

Therefore I assume daytime temps will
> be around 40-50F (5-10C), and it may still freeze at night.

It has been known that northern Canada can sustain blizzards as late as
July. However with global warming this problem has been drastically
curtailed.

Kevin D. Snodgrass
April 26th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Gord wrote:
> "Kevin D. Snodgrass" > wrote in message
>
>>We are going lake trout fishing in Manitoba, neer Reindeer
>>lake, in late May.

Oops! The lake we will be at is *west* of Reindeer Lake,
therefore Saskatchewan. My bad... We talked to so many
outfitters at the All Canada Show I must have confused the
conversations.

I'll check http://www.gov.sk.ca/. ;-)

> I was wondering about any regulations,
>
>>especially at the border, that I should know about. Any
>>restrictions on GMRS/FRS radios?
>

> Yes half watt output. Unless you have a Ham Radio license. Amateur radio
> licenses are respected.

FRS are 2 watt, GMRS are 5 watt.

>>Large hunting knives?
>>

> Convention is that anything over 6" blade is a weapon. Although airports
> restrict any pointy object.

I have fillet knives that are more than 6" long. :-)

No airports, we are driving to Lac La Ronge and a bush pilot
will pick us up there.

> Concealed weapons are a crime here. If you "carry" the knife be sure that it

I'll keep my hands and feet visible at all times.

> shows, don't hide it under a jacket or in a pocket. Belt scabbard on the
> waist for everyone to see. Or you can stash it in your pack.

For knives > 6" I don't expect to keep them hidden. :-)

>>Anything else a typical midwestern USA type should be aware
>>of? (I know I have to leave the guns behind.)
>>

> You do not have to worry about bringing guns for hunting if you do not mind
> registering them at the border. You really won't need a gun of any type
> though. Its Canada not the US.

Not hunting, just protection. I feel naked without one.

And you can't be serious about the "Its Canada, not the US"
quip. I read the crime reports, there is plenty of crime in
the large cities in Canada.

>>Are the mosquitos out and hungry this
>>early?
>

> Yes. Manitoba is especially noted for this pest. You are going there when
> they are emerging and are very hungry. Its not as bad as it sounds though. A
> high DeeT repellent is effective. Mosquito netting and Pic coils work
> wonders.

The smell of Deet is a turn off to fish, at least some fish.
The netting and coils might be fine at camp, but somewhat
difficult while on the boat.

> Therefore I assume daytime temps will
>
>>be around 40-50F (5-10C), and it may still freeze at night.
>>

> It has been known that northern Canada can sustain blizzards as late as
> July. However with global warming this problem has been drastically
> curtailed.

Uh, right. Thanks for the useful information before this
bilge...