PDA

View Full Version : A few big bass or a lot of small ones?

John Kerr
October 8th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Aside from tournament fishing, which would you rather do...catch a ton
of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
lbs.)?
This is considering that the time on the water is the same to accompish
either one.

RGarri7470
October 8th, 2003, 12:52 AM
>which would you rather do...catch a ton
>of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
>lbs.)?

Yes.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

RichZ
October 8th, 2003, 01:15 AM
John wrote:
> Aside from tournament fishing, which would you rather do...catch a ton
> of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
> lbs.)?

If'n 10 to 15 pounders were more than a pipedream in my part of the world,
a couple of them would be the winners, hands down. But they ain't. So I'd
rather catch a bunch of "good" fish. Say 2.5 or 3 pounds or so up to 5 or
6, anyway. I always feel like unless there's a whole lot of 2-1/2 to 3
pound class fish, it takes at least one fish over 4 or 5 to make a day
really satisfying.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Shawn
October 8th, 2003, 01:28 AM
"John Kerr" wrote ...
> Aside from tournament fishing, which would you rather do...catch a ton
> of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
> lbs.)?
> This is considering that the time on the water is the same to accompish
> either one.

I'd like to catch 'em all, but if I have to choose than I'll take the small
straight over a pair of Aces.

--
Early to Bed, Early to Rise,
Fish all Day, Make up Lies.

Shawn

John Kerr
October 8th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Re: A few big bass or a lot of small ones?

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 11:52pm (CDT+5)
From: (RGarri7470)
which would you rather do...catch a ton
of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
lbs.)?
=====
Yes.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
=====
Now that's about as good an answer as one could expect <g>!
JK

John Kerr
October 8th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Re: A few big bass or a lot of small ones?

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 8:15pm (CDT+1)
From: (RichZ)
John wrote:
Aside from tournament fishing, which would you rather do...catch a ton
of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
lbs.)?
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
If'n 10 to 15 pounders were more than a pipedream in my part of the
world, a couple of them would be the winners, hands down. But they
ain't. So I'd rather catch a bunch of "good" fish. Say 2.5 or 3 pounds
or so up to 5 or 6, anyway. I always feel like unless there's a whole
lot of 2-1/2 to 3 pound class fish, it takes at least one fish over 4 or
5 to make a day really satisfying.
RichZ=A9
=A0=A0www.richz.com/fishing
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Sorry Rich.....I forgot that not everybody lives in Florida or
California <big grin>. Should have considered "relative" size for
different parts of the country!
JK

John Kerr
October 8th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Now I'm probably in trouble for not mentioning Georgia, Alabama, the
Carolinas, Miss., La., Arizona, Texas, maybe Tennessee, and even
Kentucky....any more that boast the "big" fish <g>.

Chuck Coger
October 8th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Can I split the day 50/50?

I revert to the words my son told me when he was 6 and we were out fishing.
He wanted to go home way early so I asked him didn't he enjoy fishing. He
said " I like hooking the fish and reeling them in, but all that other stuff
in between is boring". So yea most days I like to catch alot more than I
like to fish, so sign me up for a full day of small and medium fish over
anything else.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Aside from tournament fishing, which would you rather do...catch a ton
> of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
> lbs.)?
> This is considering that the time on the water is the same to accompish
> either one.

J Buck
October 8th, 2003, 03:17 AM
<Yes>

Great answer! LoL

J Buck
October 8th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Tough question...it's almost an apples and oranges situation. It's great
fun to have a lot of action. Having said that, there is nothing quite
like hooking on to a big ol' rauncher.

I still like the first reply to the question. Yes. LoL

Charles B. Summers
October 8th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Tennessee?? You gotta be kidding... right? Oh yeah... you said "maybe". LOL

My largest Tennessee bass is 5.9, second largest is 4.11, and third is 3.7.
That's on public water, of course. But to answer your original question, I'd
take a bunch of 2 to 3 pounders anyday!

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Now I'm probably in trouble for not mentioning Georgia, Alabama, the
> Carolinas, Miss., La., Arizona, Texas, maybe Tennessee, and even
> Kentucky....any more that boast the "big" fish <g>.

Craig
October 8th, 2003, 04:49 AM
I too enjoyed Ronnie's answer, for it has put a smile on my face that I
can't seem to wipe off.

I personally expect to catch a hawg on very cast. I just know the mother of
all bass is sitting and waiting for my lure to enter the water so that she
can grab it and take me for a ride. So when my lure comes back 900+ times a
day without her, I become ecstatic when I bring in one of her offspring
(regardless of size).

--
Craig Baugher
Living in The United States, and Loving It!

Richard Liebert
October 8th, 2003, 05:11 AM
I've actually had the wonderful pleasure of both experiences this year. One
day I had three 4lb LM by 10:00 am. On another day my son and I boated over
100. I'll take the three big fish anyday.

"Craig" > wrote in message
om...
> I too enjoyed Ronnie's answer, for it has put a smile on my face that I
> can't seem to wipe off.
>
> I personally expect to catch a hawg on very cast. I just know the mother
of
> all bass is sitting and waiting for my lure to enter the water so that she
> can grab it and take me for a ride. So when my lure comes back 900+ times
> day without her, I become ecstatic when I bring in one of her offspring
> (regardless of size).
>
> --
> Craig Baugher
> Living in The United States, and Loving It!
> Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
> Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!
> God Bless America, and Those That Serve It!

Calif Bill
October 8th, 2003, 06:43 AM
"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot)> wrote in
message ...
> Tennessee?? You gotta be kidding... right? Oh yeah... you said "maybe".
LOL

> My largest Tennessee bass is 5.9, second largest is 4.11, and third is
3.7.
> That's on public water, of course. But to answer your original question,
I'd
> take a bunch of 2 to 3 pounders anyday!
>
> --
> Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> www.midtennclassic.org
> "John Kerr" > wrote in message
> > Now I'm probably in trouble for not mentioning Georgia, Alabama, the
> > Carolinas, Miss., La., Arizona, Texas, maybe Tennessee, and even
> > Kentucky....any more that boast the "big" fish <g>.

One of my most fun days was in about late spring, 1993 at Lake Don Pedro in
No. Cal. 250 bass and 1 bluegill all the same size. Including the
bluegill. All about 10". One big bass was caught that day by another
fisherman, as far as I know. Just could not keep the little guys off the
crankbait. Downsized to a spinning outfit and 6# test line with Rebel
Crawdad. Have had decent days in the Sac Delta with up to 5# fish and maybe
a 20 fish day at Oroville. But for shear fun, that day at Oroville ranks as
2nd best day. 1st day was fishing the ocean at Fort Ross area. We caught a
bunch of Kelp Bass that were eating anchovies near the surface. Motor over
to a school that you could see the back fins breaking the surface. Flat
calm ocean, better than most lakes. The 3 of us on light bass gear and swim
baits caught maybe 300 fish from 3-5# in about 4 hours. So I guess quantity
with some size ranks highest, while quantity is good.
Bill

Gary Wilber
October 8th, 2003, 12:44 PM
I would go for the smaller fish. I say that because when I used to
fish tournaments, some days I would catch 13.5 inch fish all day and
complain because I had no fish in the livewell. At the end of the day
I would think that if it wasn't for the tournament, I was really
having alot of fun.

alwayfishking
October 8th, 2003, 05:49 PM
I would rather spend the whole day skunking then hit a big fish or two at
the end of the day,

Then again if I hit those big fish early on and then nothing all day,
somehow it wouldn't be as rewarding
"Gary Wilber" > wrote in message
om...
> I would go for the smaller fish. I say that because when I used to
> fish tournaments, some days I would catch 13.5 inch fish all day and
> complain because I had no fish in the livewell. At the end of the day
> I would think that if it wasn't for the tournament, I was really
> having alot of fun.

John Lindsey
October 8th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Wrong answers for your question for me. Between "a ton of 1-3 pounders" and
"just a couple of 10-15 pounders" is the optimum for big bass fly fishermen.
To me a "lot of 5 to 7 pounders" would be heaven on earth! Why, because
they are usually smarter than the ton of little bitty guys and fight more
that the couple of old mommas. Yep, 5 to 7 pounders.

Umm... the above notwithstanding, hmmm.... I'm thinking, give me a minute.
Let's see now, what would I trade for a 15 pounder? hmmm... <eyes glaze
over> Maybe I better rethink the above answer.

What a great question! You got me! LOL

Good luck,
John

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Aside from tournament fishing, which would you rather do...catch a ton
> of smaller bass (1 to 3 lbs.), or catch just a couple big bass (10 to 15
> lbs.)?
> This is considering that the time on the water is the same to accompish
> either one.

John Kerr
October 9th, 2003, 12:42 AM
I asked the question because I have always had a delima over this. I
dearly love to catch big fish, and have always been willing to devote
the time and effort to that cause....with the exception of bass! When I
catch a big bass it is more by accident than intent. I am just not
willing to pay the price to strictly fish for the trophy bass (time
price)! The 3-5 pounders suit me fine because they come on a regular
enough basis to keep me enthuised over the prospect:)! I figured out
that a top notch bass angler would have to devote at least a minimum of
10 hours of fishing for every bass they caught over 8 pounds (that's
considering they live in an area that produces those size fish).
That is two good days of fishing for "one" fish! And that's for a top
notch basser...add the time on the water necessary to learn the
techniques, and that time multiplies probably threefold!
I got the figures from my son and Mike Long's experiences chasing the
big bass in California.
I didn't know how many big bass they had caught over the years, but they
are both on the "pro" staff of Graphite U.S.A. , and there was a profile
on them at Hastings rod manufacturing.
John has caught 261 bass over 8 lbs., 97 over 10 lbs., 19 over 12 lbs.
and his big fish is 16-8, big 5 fish limit is 48.1 lbs. I figured he
spends 80% of his time fishing "tournament" fish, and 20% of the time
fishing trophy bass. Over the past ten years, he has probably spent
almost 2000 hours on the water fishing trophy bass....thats over 10
hours per fish...plus the "learning" time of maybe twice that time the
previous 5 years...so maybe 30 hours per fish!
I think I will just keep fishin for the great "little" guys, and be
happy, happy when I "accidently" catch the big guy <grin>!
JK

John Lindsey
October 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM
My comments are below @@@

@@@ ? why except bass?

@@@ Most bass fly fishermen are happy with ANY bass we catch - LOL.

The 3-5 pounders suit me fine because they come on a regular
> enough basis to keep me enthuised over the prospect:)!
@@@ Most bass fly fishermen complain that 3-5 pounders NEVER come regular
enough - LOL.

I figured out
> that a top notch bass angler would have to devote at least a minimum of
> 10 hours of fishing for every bass they caught over 8 pounds (that's
> considering they live in an area that produces those size fish).
> That is two good days of fishing for "one" fish! And that's for a top
> notch basser...add the time on the water necessary to learn the
> techniques, and that time multiplies probably threefold!
> I got the figures from my son and Mike Long's experiences chasing the
> big bass in California.
@@@ Bass fly fishermen rarely participate in organized fishing activities
so there are little statistics regarding "hours per fish"
In Texas' ShareLunker program of 372 donated 13 pound plus bass only one was
fly rod caught and many were bait caught.

> I didn't know how many big bass they had caught over the years, but they
> are both on the "pro" staff of Graphite U.S.A. , and there was a profile
> on them at Hastings rod manufacturing.
> John has caught 261 bass over 8 lbs., 97 over 10 lbs., 19 over 12 lbs.
> and his big fish is 16-8, big 5 fish limit is 48.1 lbs. I figured he
> spends 80% of his time fishing "tournament" fish, and 20% of the time
> fishing trophy bass. Over the past ten years, he has probably spent
> almost 2000 hours on the water fishing trophy bass....thats over 10
> hours per fish...plus the "learning" time of maybe twice that time the
> previous 5 years...so maybe 30 hours per fish!
@@@ His numbers may not apply to other states and water bodies that only
contain Northern strain. Other people in other places may not be able to
duplicate his success in "hours per fish". Additionally I'm starting to
read scattered reports about smaller catches (size and quantity) in some
water bodies. Hope this is not a trend - Ugh.

> I think I will just keep fishin for the great "little" guys, and be
> happy, happy when I "accidently" catch the big guy <grin>!
@@@ Go ahead and fish for the little guys - I won't. Decades ago I came to
grips with the fact that I won't catch a lot of bass the way I fish. I
don't fish underwater, it's just so much more fun catching bass on top water
for me. So what I've focused on is developing fly rod popping bugs that
attract the bigger bass. See it's really fun catching the bigger, smarter
bass using your own designed bug that they have never seen before. For
example I've developed a tarantula popping bug to bounce off logs and rocks.
As you can imagine with all that bouncing, the finish quickly deteriorates,
so I'm testing a new softer, stronger finish which is a lot of fun testing
on big bass. Fly tying adds a quantum leap to bass fishng enjoyment for me.

> JK

@@@ You use "hours per fish" as a measure of success. For me I'm more
interested in "strikes per cast" and "catches per strike." Over the decades
I've developed some techniques to improve both stats. For example one way
to improve "Catches per Strike" is to sharpen the hook, another is to
eliminate little bass, bluegill, bream and perch. How - use BIG popping
bugs. They chase off little stuff -LOL

Good luck!
John

John Kerr
October 10th, 2003, 01:43 AM
I certainly respect a fly fisherman....tried some up in Washington, and
almost got "hooked" on it (no pun intended) <grin>.
It is a whole different ballgame, and I agree with most all you attested
to. The skill level in fly fishing is not so much how many you catch,
but rather the ability to land the bigger fish with the tackle in use. I
have watched them fly fishing for snook, and tarpon, and was amazed that
they could land those fish with that tackle. I use to fish for sharks in
the gulf using light tackle, and it was all about "landing" that 1 big
one (150 lb +) with 20 lb test and a light rod. But when it comes to
bass fishing, I just can't seem to devote the time necessary to only go
for the trophy bass....it's just too much fun to catch the "average"
bass, and that happens so much more often! But I respect your point of
view!
JK

John Lindsey
October 10th, 2003, 04:44 PM
As a suggestion just for ho ho's next time you are out in top water bass
country and the tournament pressures are not too strong, include a fly rod
amongst the other 8 or 9 rigs you may have on board. Get a quality (no drug
store or yard sale junk) 9 1/2 or 10 foot 9 weight rod and a reel with a
good drag. Have them load a bass taper line a 10 pound leader and tippet
and tie on a big floating bass popping bug. Rig this up the night before
and put it into one of those rod/reel bags (that break the rod into two
pieces) and toss it out of your way in the boat.

I'm sure you remember those times that up ahead you heard some big hawg
knocking the heck out of things and you casted some topwater plug and caught
him/her. Next time when that same circumstances occur, quickly slip out
your fly rod, insert the two pieces, strip out enough line and cast to that
ole big 'un.

At that moment there are only two possibilities: You either get a strike,
or you don't.
a. If you get a strike, you'll enjoy the fun bass fly rod fishermen have at
that instant. You may be hooked.
b. If you do NOT get a strike, lay the fly rod down pick you your rod of
choice and thoroughly work the area. This technique will let you maintain
your "fish per hour progress" with only minimal lost time.

I've just described the technique my dad and I used 50 years ago. And about
one out of 10 times, while my popping bug laid still in the water as he
fished out the area with his rod and reel, that big bass would hit my bug!
What will you do with two bass on two rods at a time? LOL It's happened to
Dad and I. It'd be my guess that's the kind of problems you'd like to have.

Fly fishing hasn't changed much in the last two centuries but technology has
improved the accessories to the point to where you can bring along a fly rod
all set up ready to go in bass country. I've often wondered why you
tournament bass fishermen leave so much fun on the table. It's been our
little secret up to now, <grin>
Try it. You'll like it. And give us a trip report!

Good luck.
John

"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> I certainly respect a fly fisherman....tried some up in Washington, and
> almost got "hooked" on it (no pun intended) <grin>.
> It is a whole different ballgame, and I agree with most all you attested
> to. The skill level in fly fishing is not so much how many you catch,
> but rather the ability to land the bigger fish with the tackle in use. I
> have watched them fly fishing for snook, and tarpon, and was amazed that
> they could land those fish with that tackle. I use to fish for sharks in
> the gulf using light tackle, and it was all about "landing" that 1 big
> one (150 lb +) with 20 lb test and a light rod. But when it comes to
> bass fishing, I just can't seem to devote the time necessary to only go
> for the trophy bass....it's just too much fun to catch the "average"
> bass, and that happens so much more often! But I respect your point of
> view!
> JK

RichZ
October 10th, 2003, 11:53 PM
You know, I went through the whole fly fishing thing years ago, for
everything but trout. Bass -- Pike -- Stripers -- Bluefish. I did it on and
off for 4 or 5 years. Or at least I owned the stuff that long. By the 4th
year or so, I never bothered to use it any more. I just never found the
excitement in it that those who favor it do. And it was just too limiting
technique-wise. I need to be constantly learning something -- what are they
up too no? what's the bottom like, here? etc. Fly fishing didn't provide
many answers in my info gathering quest. And to me, fighting the fish on
fly tackle was no more exciting -- maybe even less so -- than fighting the
same fish on light spinning gear.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing