PDA

View Full Version : Re: Snapper Reports

D Walford
November 20th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Spider wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed the difference between the tackle shop reports and
> the members reports on the various web sites lately.
> It seems the tackle shops are reporting snapper in almost plague
> proportions whilst the average fisho is struggling to get a bait past the
> mini Flathead in Port Phillip Bay.
> Is this a conspiracy by tackle shop owners to sell bait and tackle?

There must be some Snapper around, my son saw a happy fisherman at the
Warmies ramp with 2 Snapper about 5kg each last friday night:-)

Daryl

Stevesub
November 20th, 2003, 09:31 PM
It is a conspiracy. I have noticed after a few decades of fishing in New
Zealand and now Australia that the fishing reports on the TV, radio and in
the papers bear no resemblance to the actual fishing that the general fisho
is experiencing. Yes, there are one or two lucky fisho's that the stories
are based on BUT they are the very small minority.

Our best example is our local Pumistone Passage between Bribe Is and the
main land. No one is catching much at all, yet the papers, etc make out that
you can practically walk on the fish. Even the commercial guys outside the
passage say that they are netting mullet as 75% of their catch as there is
not much else of anything else around.

Still, go the tackle shops, etc have to do something to keep the sales of
bait and tackle moving.

If you are living in Queensland, join your local Sunfish branch and see what
is going on, then get involved and maybe we will see fish returning for
recreational anglers and there may be some sense also in the commercial
fishing area as a result of submissions and consultations between the
various groups. Other states have similar groups representing recreational
anglers.

Stevesub
Bribie Is
Queensland

"D Walford" > wrote in message
> Spider wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed the difference between the tackle shop reports
and
> > the members reports on the various web sites lately.
> > It seems the tackle shops are reporting snapper in almost plague
> > proportions whilst the average fisho is struggling to get a bait past
the
> > mini Flathead in Port Phillip Bay.
> > Is this a conspiracy by tackle shop owners to sell bait and
tackle?

> There must be some Snapper around, my son saw a happy fisherman at the
> Warmies ramp with 2 Snapper about 5kg each last friday night:-)
>

> Daryl

Andrew Morris
November 21st, 2003, 01:52 AM
right on the rocks at the Williamstown breakwater... Soft plastics in a
shad, around 3-4 cm are producing good snapper to about 3 kg...

"D Walford" > wrote in message
> Spider wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed the difference between the tackle shop reports
and
> > the members reports on the various web sites lately.
> > It seems the tackle shops are reporting snapper in almost plague
> > proportions whilst the average fisho is struggling to get a bait past
the
> > mini Flathead in Port Phillip Bay.
> > Is this a conspiracy by tackle shop owners to sell bait and
tackle?

> There must be some Snapper around, my son saw a happy fisherman at the
> Warmies ramp with 2 Snapper about 5kg each last friday night:-)
>

> Daryl

Ray Who
November 21st, 2003, 06:37 AM
Is that Breakwater peir your talking about.

--
Ray.

http://marcon.alphalink.com.au
PS. See my web page, the for sale link, for boats & fishing stuff.

"Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
u...
> right on the rocks at the Williamstown breakwater... Soft plastics in a
> shad, around 3-4 cm are producing good snapper to about 3 kg...
>
> "D Walford" > wrote in message
> > Spider wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone else noticed the difference between the tackle shop reports
> and
> > > the members reports on the various web sites lately.
> > > It seems the tackle shops are reporting snapper in almost
plague
> > > proportions whilst the average fisho is struggling to get a bait past
> the
> > > mini Flathead in Port Phillip Bay.
> > > Is this a conspiracy by tackle shop owners to sell bait and
> tackle?
> >
> > There must be some Snapper around, my son saw a happy fisherman at the
> > Warmies ramp with 2 Snapper about 5kg each last friday night:-)
> >

> > Daryl

Andrew Morris
November 21st, 2003, 11:46 AM
is that the breakwater just before you get into the bay? if so, fish just
on the outside of it... like as close as you can get to the breakwater....

"Ray Who" > wrote in message
> Is that Breakwater peir your talking about.
>
> --
> Ray.
>
> http://marcon.alphalink.com.au
> PS. See my web page, the for sale link, for boats & fishing stuff.
>

> "Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
> u...
> > right on the rocks at the Williamstown breakwater... Soft plastics in a
> > shad, around 3-4 cm are producing good snapper to about 3 kg...

> > and
> plague
> > the
> > tackle?
> > >
> > > There must be some Snapper around, my son saw a happy fisherman at the
> > > Warmies ramp with 2 Snapper about 5kg each last friday night:-)
> > >

> > > Daryl

Ray Who
November 22nd, 2003, 12:56 AM
Yes, the one beside the oil storage tanks. Do they still lock the gates
to the breakwater at night? It used to be a great spot.

--
Raymond J. Marcon.
Melton

"Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
u...
> is that the breakwater just before you get into the bay? if so, fish just
> on the outside of it... like as close as you can get to the breakwater....
>
> "Ray Who" > wrote in message
> > Is that Breakwater peir your talking about.
> >
> > --
> > Ray.
> >
> > http://marcon.alphalink.com.au
> > PS. See my web page, the for sale link, for boats & fishing stuff.
> >

> > "Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
> > u...
> > > right on the rocks at the Williamstown breakwater... Soft plastics in
> > > shad, around 3-4 cm are producing good snapper to about 3 kg...

> reports
> > > and
> > plague
> past
> > > the
> > > tackle?

Neil J
November 22nd, 2003, 01:51 AM
Fishing with bolt cutters - never heard of that one before ....

"Ray Who" > wrote in message
> Yes, the one beside the oil storage tanks. Do they still lock the
gates
> to the breakwater at night? It used to be a great spot.
>
> --
> Raymond J. Marcon.
> Melton
> Victoria. 3337
> Ph. 0438 437217
> http://marcon.alphalink.com.au
> E-Mail;
>

> "Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
> u...
> > is that the breakwater just before you get into the bay? if so, fish
just
> > on the outside of it... like as close as you can get to the
breakwater....

> > "Ray Who" > wrote in message
> > > Is that Breakwater peir your talking about.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ray.
> > >
> > > http://marcon.alphalink.com.au
> > > PS. See my web page, the for sale link, for boats & fishing stuff.
> > >

> > > "Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
> > > u...

> > reports
> > > plague
> > past

> the

Youwillnotspammeyoubastards
December 2nd, 2003, 01:47 AM
D Walford > wrote in message >...
> Spider wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed the difference between the tackle shop reports and
> > the members reports on the various web sites lately.
> > It seems the tackle shops are reporting snapper in almost plague
> > proportions whilst the average fisho is struggling to get a bait past the
> > mini Flathead in Port Phillip Bay.
> > Is this a conspiracy by tackle shop owners to sell bait and tackle?
>
> There must be some Snapper around, my son saw a happy fisherman at the
> Warmies ramp with 2 Snapper about 5kg each last friday night:-)
>

> Daryl

Would have to agree that the fish are around, but even old timers will
tell you that you have to put in the time to get snapper, as they move
about chasing feed. Once the water warms up they will head into the
deeper water again, recently they have been in close.

Spider
December 2nd, 2003, 06:20 AM
Yes I guess there are the odd snapper about but the last two trips have been
12 hours solid of pulling in Flathead after flathead all around the legal
size give or take a little and every one released because they are too
small. These fish are sooooo voracious that it is simply a matter of
dropping the bait or lure to the bottom and wind it straight back up often
as a double header. FOR 12 HOURS SOLID. The only bait that would sit long
enough to have a chance at a snapper were the silver whiting. But the only
snapper I caught in two days was only slightly bigger than the bait and I
have been catching them all year in far greater numbers than are around now.