PDA

View Full Version : Re: Tallest hardwood forrest reduced to toilet paper.

Mike
December 5th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Listen you cross posting ****wit, **** off, the planet can safely do without
you, Bob Brown and Hairy Kettle.

"amazure ²°°³" >
wrote in message ...
> "Justin Thyme" > wrote in message
> |
> | "elZee" > wrote in message
> | u...

> | > Don't worry .. that's the plan for the next year. ;)
> | >
> | > It seems governments just don't care about the environment to future
> | > generations of inhabitants of this tiny orb.
> | >
> | > As long as we walk on timber floors and live in houses made from
timber,
> | lay
> | > woodchips along our gardens and wipe our arses with non-recycled
paper,
> | what
> | > chance do our forests have?
> | Actually, most of the timber houses, woodchips, paper etc comes from
planted
> | forestry timber. these days very little comes from natural forest. And
> | remember, a mature forest has a net 0 effect on atmospheric gases - as
trees
> | die they decompose releasing co2, in exact balance with the co2 that is
> | consumed by the growing trees. However a forestry where trees are grown
> | specifically for harvest does consume co2 from the atmosphere, and lock
it
> | up in the form of wood that is now in houses etc, instead of that wood
> | decomposing when the tree dies naturally. So in fact, industries that
use
> | wood are actually good for the atmosphere.
> | >
> | > elZee
>
> No-one was complaining about using planted forestry timber,
> only about the environmentally destructive practice of
> destroying old growth forests for cheap wood chips.
>
> Once logged, a forest is never the same as far as diversity
> goes, unless you want to class introduced weeds as diversity.
>
> Only a tiny percentage of old growth forests still exist in OZ,
> yet some greedy parasites keep wanting to destroy these
> few last remnants.
>
> Human greed and stupidity is destroying this planet,
> yet few have the balls to say enough is enough
> to these greedy individuals and companies
> who only really care about quick profits.

amazure ²°°³
December 6th, 2003, 02:54 AM
"Justin Thyme" > wrote in message ...

| "elZee" > wrote in message
| u...
| >
| > "amazure ²°°³" >
| > wrote in message ...
| > > "xtremegreen" > wrote in message
| >
| > > Why don't we just nuke the whole planet and get it over with.
| >
| > Don't worry .. that's the plan for the next year. ;)
| >
| > It seems governments just don't care about the environment to future
| > generations of inhabitants of this tiny orb.
| >
| > As long as we walk on timber floors and live in houses made from timber,
| lay
| > woodchips along our gardens and wipe our arses with non-recycled paper,
| what
| > chance do our forests have?
| Actually, most of the timber houses, woodchips, paper etc comes from planted
| forestry timber. these days very little comes from natural forest. And
| remember, a mature forest has a net 0 effect on atmospheric gases - as trees
| die they decompose releasing co2, in exact balance with the co2 that is
| consumed by the growing trees. However a forestry where trees are grown
| specifically for harvest does consume co2 from the atmosphere, and lock it
| up in the form of wood that is now in houses etc, instead of that wood
| decomposing when the tree dies naturally. So in fact, industries that use
| wood are actually good for the atmosphere.
| >
| > elZee

No-one was complaining about using planted forestry timber,
only about the environmentally destructive practice of
destroying old growth forests for cheap wood chips.

Once logged, a forest is never the same as far as diversity
goes, unless you want to class introduced weeds as diversity.

Only a tiny percentage of old growth forests still exist in OZ,
yet some greedy parasites keep wanting to destroy these
few last remnants.

Human greed and stupidity is destroying this planet,
yet few have the balls to say enough is enough
to these greedy individuals and companies
who only really care about quick profits.

Roy
December 6th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Ohh, What's this doing here?? I thought it was aus.rec.climbing??

Wood Chips Wood Chips, am I sick of hearing the"Media" and "City Slickers"
bagging the wood chipping industry!
Forests aren't logged to supply "Wood Chips" that industry is just an
offshoot of logging for sawmills.
If nowadays if it seems more trees go into "Wood Chips" than timber, blame
the dumb number crunches in the Cities.
It seems they 'wood' rather save a few bucks and buy cheap milled timber
from overseas, produced by unsustainable forestry practice, than invest a
little in their own country!
Or perhaps it's the "Media" I haven't heard them bumping their gums about
logging since "Terrorism" gave them something else to sensationalise? (and
make a quid from)
Or perhaps it's disillusioned City Dwellers, that have just opened their
eyes to see the concrete jungle they have created? And to ease their guilt,
insist on stopping their dumb country cousins doing the same?
I think it would be better if they levelled a few thousand $1000000 condos
and planted some trees myself.
In reality Australian forestry practice has minimal long term effect on the
environment (not housing development etc though). If you compare it to some
of the things nature throws around, like drought, volcanoes etc or even the
ice age it has bugger all effect.
What's the ice age got to do with it? Cast your minds back to the mid
seventies, Science and the "Media" (more bucks) had everyone in a panic with
their doom and gloom message about another one (ice age) being IMMINENT (100
years or so). About the same time the "Media" 'wood' have you believe you
could live on eggs and be fit and oranges gave you cancer!

But its all irrelevant now the greenies won, hundreds of jobs have gone,
including mine. We now have WONDERFUL national parks all around, most of
ours didn't burn last year.
Guess wot though, I haven't seen many people down here enjoying them. The
tourist dollars the Government said would come, aren't, I suppose everyone
is still spending up big overseas?

The Sceptic.
www.gobombala.com

"amazure ²°°³" >
wrote in message ...
> "Justin Thyme" > wrote in message
> |
> | "elZee" > wrote in message
> | u...

> | > Don't worry .. that's the plan for the next year. ;)
> | >
> | > It seems governments just don't care about the environment to future
> | > generations of inhabitants of this tiny orb.
> | >
> | > As long as we walk on timber floors and live in houses made from
timber,
> | lay
> | > woodchips along our gardens and wipe our arses with non-recycled
paper,
> | what
> | > chance do our forests have?
> | Actually, most of the timber houses, woodchips, paper etc comes from
planted
> | forestry timber. these days very little comes from natural forest. And
> | remember, a mature forest has a net 0 effect on atmospheric gases - as
trees
> | die they decompose releasing co2, in exact balance with the co2 that is
> | consumed by the growing trees. However a forestry where trees are grown
> | specifically for harvest does consume co2 from the atmosphere, and lock
it
> | up in the form of wood that is now in houses etc, instead of that wood
> | decomposing when the tree dies naturally. So in fact, industries that
use
> | wood are actually good for the atmosphere.
> | >
> | > elZee
>
> No-one was complaining about using planted forestry timber,
> only about the environmentally destructive practice of
> destroying old growth forests for cheap wood chips.
>
> Once logged, a forest is never the same as far as diversity
> goes, unless you want to class introduced weeds as diversity.
>
> Only a tiny percentage of old growth forests still exist in OZ,
> yet some greedy parasites keep wanting to destroy these
> few last remnants.
>
> Human greed and stupidity is destroying this planet,
> yet few have the balls to say enough is enough
> to these greedy individuals and companies
> who only really care about quick profits.

cc
December 15th, 2003, 10:55 AM
amazure ²°°³ wrote:

> No-one was complaining about using planted forestry timber,
> only about the environmentally destructive practice of
> destroying old growth forests for cheap wood chips.

I think some people have to distinguish between what a
forest is and what a tree farm is.

--
| Sometimes I think you have to march right in and
| demand your rights,even if you don't know what your
| rights are, or who the person is you're talking to.
| Then on the way out, slam the door. - J Handy

Wise's Wilderness
December 16th, 2003, 09:17 AM
a tree farm is a forest that has already been cut down, i image?
--
Geoff Wise
Wise's Wilderness