PDA

View Full Version : Souders & Fishing

Grumpy
December 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Hi Guys,

Hear a theory the other day, what do you think. Once you have located your
fishing spot on the sounder, it is an idea to tun the sounder off. I was
told it spooks the fish.

Any ideas?

Alan

Rick
December 7th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Grumpy wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Hear a theory the other day, what do you think. Once you have located your
> fishing spot on the sounder, it is an idea to tun the sounder off. I was
> told it spooks the fish.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Alan

nonsense!

Harry Krause
December 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Rick wrote:

> Grumpy wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Hear a theory the other day, what do you think. Once you have located your
>> fishing spot on the sounder, it is an idea to tun the sounder off. I was
>> told it spooks the fish.
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Alan
>>

> nonsense!

If you are in shallow, relatively quiet waters, you want to keep the
"audible noise" *on* the boat to a minimum - the moving around, the
dropping of gear, the creaking of seats, whatever. That's the kind of
noise you want to prevent. Fish are spooked by those types of noises.
The noise of an electric trolling motor, for example, will spook
redfish. I've not heard or read that the frequencies emanating from a
sounder affect fish.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Steve Paris
December 7th, 2003, 08:22 PM
"Grumpy" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi Guys,
>
> Hear a theory the other day, what do you think. Once you have located your
> fishing spot on the sounder, it is an idea to tun the sounder off. I was
> told it spooks the fish.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Alan

Hmmmm, very interesting theory!. I occasionally listen to the radio
(music) whilst out in the boat, and the radio does pick up a very audible
"TICK .. TICK .. TICK off the sounders pulse. But who's to say that the
noise doesn't 'attract' fish ? most lures now have noisy rattles in them.

--
Steve Paris L/S
Tropical Cairns Nth Queensland

Grumpy
December 8th, 2003, 02:09 AM
It all makes sense on one train and utter crap on the other, I suppose at
the end of the day take 100 opinions, mix them all in a blender and throw it
out. Do what you want.

"Rick" > wrote in message
> Grumpy wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Hear a theory the other day, what do you think. Once you have located
your
> > fishing spot on the sounder, it is an idea to tun the sounder off. I was
> > told it spooks the fish.
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Alan
> >

> nonsense!

A Little Bit
December 9th, 2003, 07:23 AM
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:02:32 +1100, "Grumpy" >
wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Hear a theory the other day, what do you think. Once you have located your
> fishing spot on the sounder, it is an idea to tun the sounder off. I was
> told it spooks the fish.
>

> Any ideas?

Back in the old days of chart sounders (I still have one here, an old
Furuno!!!), that was true. The sounders made fair bit of noise as the stylus
plotted the depth. This noise was transmitted though the hull, especially with
alloy/aluminium boats.