PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fight & Land a Fish?

Craig
October 9th, 2003, 12:59 AM
After the spawn post, I have to ask:
How Do You Fight & Land a Fish (Bass in particular)?

For me it depends. If I am light lining it for deeper water smallies, I
will set the hook, drop my rod almost level to the water and smoke the reel
to get her in as fast as a can. Most of the time I get lucky and they come
straight in. But if they don't, I back reel them and then try again.
Usually, I can get them in on my first or second effort.

If I am heavy lining it, that bass is in the boat before they can even
realized they have been hooked. I'm serious. I set the hook and start to
power reeling immediately. If it tries to jump, the split second it breaks
the water I twist my body sideways (like setting the hook on a Carolina rig)
and keep burning the reel. Because once she is on top of the water, she
can't dig in, so she can't stop me and she basically skis to the boat.

If you try this, two things. You better be confident in your knot tying
capabilities and second, be a line checker. Because you are going to be
testing the tensile strength of the line and your knot (as well as the
strength of the hook too), and if you have a nick in the line, you may loose
your fish. Trust me, I have loss them to nicks, bad knots, and bent or
broken hooks. At least I'm not breaking rods on hookset anymore, but that
is another story.

Look forward to your replies.

--
Craig Baugher
Living in The United States, and Loving It!

Thundercat
October 9th, 2003, 01:57 AM
"Craig" > wrote in message
om...
> After the spawn post, I have to ask:
> How Do You Fight & Land a Fish (Bass in particular)?
<snip>
> Look forward to your replies.
>
> --
> Craig Baugher
> Living in The United States, and Loving It!
> Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
> Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!
> God Bless America, and Those That Serve It!

Several factors come in to play when it comes to how quickly or slowly I
(attempt to) land a fish. Some of those factors include, but are not limited
to: type of fishing (casual, tournament or pre-fishing), tackle I am using,
and available nasty cover (or lack there of).

In a tournament situation, my emphasis is on getting the fish to the boat as
quickly as possible. If the tackle I am using is stout enough from the line
and hooks to the rod, I will attempt to get its head up, "skate" the fish to
the boat and swing it in. However, if light lining in a tournament (drop
shot / finesse) I will play give and take with the fish until I have it
under control enough to get it in the net at boat side. If I notice a fish
is lightly hooked or hooked in a bad spot with a notoriously throwable bait
(like a spinnerbait or topwater) I will attempt to control the fish with it'
s head down and net it as quickly as possible.

When I am pre-fishing for a tournament I tend to give the fish every chance
to just let go of the bait. I may stick one here and there, but I really
just want to get a look at it before it swims away. At times, I am satisfied
with a follow-up. This lets me know that they are there and that they have
an eye on what I am tossing.

When I am fun fishing, all of that tournament mumbo jumbo goes out the
window unless I am fishing thick nasties. In the nasties, I still want that
fish out of there as quickly as possible. Most other times I will play a
fish to the boat or the bank, unhook it as quickly as possible and send it
on its merry way. I never play it to the point of exhaustion, but I do take
the time to enjoy the fight. I usually will not net a fun fishing fish
unless it is closing in on a 4 to 5 pound class of fish or better. Photo
opportunities with that size of bass are rare for me. And yes, Craig, I know
I need to get out to St. Claire or Erie to drag some tubes to solve that
problem for me... ;-)

Take what you will from the above, but remember that I am on of the rookies
here. :D

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...

John Kerr
October 9th, 2003, 02:26 AM
I have lost too many bass that managed to get back in the weeds or wood
pile, so I reckon I'm not quite as quick on the draw as I should be. But
I prefer light tackle, and get a thrill out of catching fish that
outweigh my line strength, so I accept a few disapointments. But your
way is exactly how to fish for "money" <g>.
JK

Craig
October 9th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Hey John, your son - and I am assuming he is a junior, and Mike Long are
real powerhouses on the West Coast. I fly out to Redding usually once a
year for a day or two. Next time I have to go, I'll drop you a line and you
and I can challenge the West Coast Power Team, winners gets treated to a
steak dinner type of thing.

--
Craig Baugher
Living in The United States, and Loving It!
Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!
God Bless America, and Those That Serve It!

go-bassn
October 9th, 2003, 04:08 AM
I'm kind of the opposite, probably because I've lost good fish by horsing
them too many times.

Once my fish is clear of any cover, I ease up to a minimum amount of
pressure & just slowly work it to the boat. If it runs I ease up & go with
it, and I often loosen my drag a bit lighter than my hookset setting. Bass
tire quickly after their intial runs, plus I enjoy the fight (unless dollars
are on the line).

One thing we both do is keep it on top of the water if it's kind enough to
let me get it there.

In fighting a fish the single most important thing is keeping the line
tight. Just keep it tight & the fish buttoned. The more strain on the line
the more strain on the hook & fish's tissue. It's a patience approach I
guess.

Warren
--
http://www.fishingworld.com/MesaTackleSupply/
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com http://www.secretweaponlures.com

"Craig" > wrote in message
om...
> After the spawn post, I have to ask:
> How Do You Fight & Land a Fish (Bass in particular)?
>
> For me it depends. If I am light lining it for deeper water smallies, I
> will set the hook, drop my rod almost level to the water and smoke the
reel
> to get her in as fast as a can. Most of the time I get lucky and they
come
> straight in. But if they don't, I back reel them and then try again.
> Usually, I can get them in on my first or second effort.
>
> If I am heavy lining it, that bass is in the boat before they can even
> realized they have been hooked. I'm serious. I set the hook and start to
> power reeling immediately. If it tries to jump, the split second it
breaks
> the water I twist my body sideways (like setting the hook on a Carolina
rig)
> and keep burning the reel. Because once she is on top of the water, she
> can't dig in, so she can't stop me and she basically skis to the boat.
>
> If you try this, two things. You better be confident in your knot tying
> capabilities and second, be a line checker. Because you are going to be
> testing the tensile strength of the line and your knot (as well as the
> strength of the hook too), and if you have a nick in the line, you may
loose
> your fish. Trust me, I have loss them to nicks, bad knots, and bent or
> broken hooks. At least I'm not breaking rods on hookset anymore, but that
> is another story.
>
> Look forward to your replies.
>
> --
> Craig Baugher
> Living in The United States, and Loving It!
> Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
> Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!
> God Bless America, and Those That Serve It!

John Kerr
October 9th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Re: How Do You Fight & Land a Fish?

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Thu, Oct 9, 2003, 2:55am (CDT+5)
From: (Craig)
Hey John, your son - and I am assuming he is a junior, and Mike Long are
real powerhouses on the West Coast. I fly out to Redding usually once a
year for a day or two. Next time I have to go, I'll drop you a line and
you and I can challenge the West Coast Power Team, winners gets treated
to a steak dinner type of thing.
--
You got a deal....but hope you are a lot better than me if we plan on
"eatin free" <g>! John started whipping my butt when he was 12 :) , and

Craig
October 9th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Warren, that slow steady was the approached I used for a long time,
primarily to prevent the bass from jumping. Then once I learned how to ski
them to the boat, I started my muscling technique, primarily to get them to
jump.

--
Craig Baugher
Living in The United States, and Loving It!
Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!
God Bless America, and Those That Serve It!

RichZ
October 9th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Thundercat wrote:
> Take what you will from the above, but remember that I am on of the rookies
> here.

Oddly enough, as I was reading Harry's treastise, my thoughts were about his
rookiness. He's just rounding into the home stretch of his 2nd year of
serious bass fishing, and he's already got a better handle on this sport than
most guys I know who have been at it a whole lot longer.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

go-bassn
October 9th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Do you ski big bass?

--

"Craig" > wrote in message
m...
> Warren, that slow steady was the approached I used for a long time,
> primarily to prevent the bass from jumping. Then once I learned how to
ski
> them to the boat, I started my muscling technique, primarily to get them
> jump.
>
> --
> Craig Baugher
> Living in The United States, and Loving It!
> Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
> Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!
> God Bless America, and Those That Serve It!

RichZ
October 9th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Go-bassn wrote:
> Do you ski big bass?

I do when it's appropriate -- in the pads and nut. (ask Harry)

Other than that, no. I'd rather enjoy the fight.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Craig
October 9th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Warren, It really depends on the situation. If I am by myself, I may play
a little. But let there be another angler beside me and that competitive
spirit comes out. Which we all know by now, I simply want to catch more
than my partner. But contrary to popular belief, with me it is more of:
"Hey man, I'm no slacker. I can pull my own weight, and in fact I can do
the loin's share" vs. "Look at me, see how good I am." Definitely more
information than you wanted - just felt I needed to justify the reason why I
ski the majority of my fish to boat. If it was just you and I talking -
"Yep!"

--
Craig Baugher
Living in The United States, and Loving It!
Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!
God Bless America, and Those That Serve It!

Charles B. Summers
October 9th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Good answer Harry.

I tend to enjoy the fish and fishing though regardless if I'm in a
tournament or not. There's no huge payouts in any of our tournaments so the
real thrill of fishing them is the actual fishing. I'll use the net anytime
I think there's a chance that the fish will come loose, and occasionally
even get the net for Joe. However, most of my fish come into the boat via
the old, "sling em over the rail" method. LOL

"Thundercat" > wrote in message
et...
> [...]
> on its merry way. I never play it to the point of exhaustion, but I do
take
> the time to enjoy the fight. I usually will not net a fun fishing fish
> unless it is closing in on a 4 to 5 pound class of fish or better. Photo
> opportunities with that size of bass are rare for me. And yes, Craig, I
know
> I need to get out to St. Claire or Erie to drag some tubes to solve that
> problem for me... ;-)
>
> Take what you will from the above, but remember that I am on of the
rookies
> here. :D
>

> --
> Harry J. aka Thundercat
> Bass fishing is NOT a hobby...
> It is an ADDICTION!
> Brooklyn Bill's Specialty Tackle Fishing Team

G. M. Zimmermann
October 10th, 2003, 01:33 AM
My philosophy for fighting and landing a fish is basicly this: no retreat, no
surrender. Once I have a fish hooked, I apply as much pressure as my tackel
will allow and keep it on. I constantly change the position at which I hold
the rod to change the angle at which the pressure is applied to the fish. I
think this confuses the fish and they seem to give up more easily. I also
refuse to give line unless absolutly neccessary. My drags are set so tight
most of you guys would cringe. But I have lost far, far more fish to slack in
the line and then throwing the hook than to break-offs (probably because most
of my lures have barbless hooks). I will never, ever backreel a fish.
Most of my fishing is done w/ ultra-light spinning gear, but I also have a
medium spinning rig and a med-hvy baitcast rig. I fight fish pretty much the
same way with all of them. ( and all of my best small mouths have been on
ultra-light gear.

-Zimmy

Craig
October 10th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Zimmy, back reeling keeps more pressure on a fish than any drag system can
apply. I would also like to address the changing angle thing. Dan Warme
(one of our California Pros) will point out you should keep a 90° (line &
rod equalling a 90° angle) for maximum leverage. I personally, lower my rod
almost level to the water (with only a slight elevation), which basically
puts me in a 70° to 90° angle anyways, so that the fish is fighting the
whole length of my rod. Lift the rod too high up and break the 90° and the
fish is just fighting the rod tip - which is its weakest section. Point the
rod towards the fish or the water and you basically eliminate the rod all
together, and the fish is just fighting the line and reel. Just food for
though so that you can keep your fighting angle between 60° to 90° - not
that you are ever going to measure it, but you can eye it and guess.

Yeah, anal, I know . . . .

--
Craig Baugher

Living in The United States, and Loving It!
Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!

Calif Bill
October 11th, 2003, 05:50 AM
"Craig" > wrote in message
om...
> Zimmy, back reeling keeps more pressure on a fish than any drag system can
> apply. I would also like to address the changing angle thing. Dan Warme
> (one of our California Pros) will point out you should keep a 90° (line &
> rod equalling a 90° angle) for maximum leverage. I personally, lower my
rod
> almost level to the water (with only a slight elevation), which basically
> puts me in a 70° to 90° angle anyways, so that the fish is fighting the
> whole length of my rod. Lift the rod too high up and break the 90° and
the
> fish is just fighting the rod tip - which is its weakest section. Point
the
> rod towards the fish or the water and you basically eliminate the rod all
> together, and the fish is just fighting the line and reel. Just food for
> though so that you can keep your fighting angle between 60° to 90° - not
> that you are ever going to measure it, but you can eye it and guess.
>
> Yeah, anal, I know . . . .
>
> --
> Craig Baugher
>
> Living in The United States, and Loving It!
> Practicing My Freedom of Speech, and Enjoying It!
> Knowing how to Thank those that paid for it, by Honoring It!

Change the angle to the fish. If the fish is going to the front of the
boat, try to turn him to the back. or at least 90 degrees to where he wants
to go. You can still keep the 90 degrees of the line to the rod. I also
fish sal****er fish, yellowtail and tuna besides salmon and other salties.
Tuna kick rig much more than any LMB or smallie. And you have to fight them
with angles. Can not horse them. I have had a 35# bluefin tuna rip off 165
yards of 17# line in 20 seconds while diving at a 70 degree angle. This is
with 5# of drag. Other than my flippn' stick in the Sac Delta, I fish light
line for bass all the time. Lots of drop shot with 6-8# line at Oroville.
Rarely lose a fish. May not hook him, but rarely lose him afterwards. Just
always keep the line at an angle to the fishes body.
Bill

G. M. Zimmermann
October 11th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Craig,
I have found that almost without exception, everytime I try to backreel a
fish, line comes off too fast. This is especially true on high grear ratio
reels. If the fish makes a quick change of direction, thats it, he's off. In
my expierence, the less line I give the fish, the less likely it get the slack
that lets it come unhooked. In my entire life I think I may have had 3 or 4
fish actually break off so its really not much of a concern for me.
Also, I actually do try to keep my rod perpendicular to the fish, but I
keep changing from side to side. It like I try to pull the fish to the right
for a few seconds, and then switch and try to pull it to my left, etc. It
always seems that the fish pull very hard at first but soon "give up". My
theory is that their instinct is to resist from being pulled directly, but
since the dircetion they are being pulled in is constantly changeing, they cant
tell which way to resist, so they just settle and and save their strength. The
flop around like hell when I go to grab them, but they have plenty of energy
when I release them. I like releaseing a fish thats still got plenty of fight
left n him so it can return to its territory and defend/feed/escape as
neccessary.

-Zimmy

RichZ
October 11th, 2003, 11:14 PM
G. wrote:
> I have found that almost without exception, everytime I try to backreel a
> fish, line comes off too fast.

You aren't doing it even close to right then. Read the backreeling article
at the URL below.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing/fishtips/backreel.html