PDA

View Full Version : To all people taking undersize fish

Grumpy
March 23rd, 2004, 08:05 AM
Hi,

Was just fishing and loading my car after spending the morning at Station
Pier when I was approached by two guys. Two fisheries officers, they checked
my car to see what fish I had and then proceeded to check everyone on the
pier. Fair warning to all ppl that take undersized fish. Hopefully fishing
licences at work

Regards
Al

Steve Paris
March 23rd, 2004, 09:43 PM
"Grumpy" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Was just fishing and loading my car after spending the morning at Station
> Pier when I was approached by two guys. Two fisheries officers, they
checked
> my car to see what fish I had and then proceeded to check everyone on the
> pier. Fair warning to all ppl that take undersized fish. Hopefully fishing
> licences at work
>
> Regards
> Al

Hopefully when they do catch people with undersized fish they will fine
them, and not let them off with a slap on the wrist or a warning. The law
seems to go soft 'new Australians' (main culprits) because they don't speak
or write English, and find it hard to understand the concept of sustainable
fishing. When I use to live in Sydney it was common place to see them
sitting on the pier with their hand mincers, grinding up 2 inch long bream
and anything else they could jag or catch, and these people are the No2
reason why it's hard these days to catch a fair sized fish these days. No1
reason is of course pro netting and trawling.

--
Steve Paris L/S
Tropical Cairns Nth Queensland

PetenGail
April 13th, 2004, 11:29 AM
on ya all... but do people who take undersize fish read this newsgroup... lol i
think not

Chris
April 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM
> Was just fishing and loading my car after spending the morning at Station
> Pier when I was approached by two guys. Two fisheries officers, they
checked
> my car to see what fish I had and then proceeded to check everyone on the
> pier. Fair warning to all ppl that take undersized fish. Hopefully fishing
> licences at work

Well Al,

You'd be happy to note they are seen quite a bit at Frankston and
Mornington. Had a good 15 - 20 minute talk to one of them on a cal day and
was pleased at his words.

They will also accept nuberplates of suspect fishermen who you believe are
taking over bag limits or undersized fish. They record these and check
plates at boat ramps or near the start of the peir as to see if any
"suspect" people may be there then they go and basically call everyone on
the peir to stop everything and get away from their buckets and catches. as
most suspect people will dump them quickly.

I asked if people didn't have fishing licences or ID and he said the
basically confiscate the equipment and catch, impose a fine and the gear can
be picked up from them when a valid permit/license is produce. They will
check cars, even go right through all places to hide things like wheel
arches, spare tyre bay, jack housing, seat pockets, everywhere. They have
no hesitation to contact authorities.

I have seen them early in the evening, during the day, and also have had
people confirm they rocked up as late as 2am in the morning for the
unsuspecting fishermen.

I know my $25 is doing it's job here in VIC. now all we need to do is get
the bloody cyclists to get a damn registration for using the roads my car
rego paid for....

Scotty
April 14th, 2004, 11:47 AM
"Chris" > wrote in message
> > Was just fishing and loading my car after spending the morning at
Station
> > Pier when I was approached by two guys. Two fisheries officers, they
> checked
> > my car to see what fish I had and then proceeded to check everyone on
the
> > pier. Fair warning to all ppl that take undersized fish. Hopefully
fishing
> > licences at work
>
> Well Al,
>
> You'd be happy to note they are seen quite a bit at Frankston and
> Mornington. Had a good 15 - 20 minute talk to one of them on a cal day and
> was pleased at his words.
>
> They will also accept nuberplates of suspect fishermen who you believe
are
> taking over bag limits or undersized fish. They record these and check
> plates at boat ramps or near the start of the peir as to see if any
> "suspect" people may be there then they go and basically call everyone on
> the peir to stop everything and get away from their buckets and catches.
as
> most suspect people will dump them quickly.
>
> I asked if people didn't have fishing licences or ID and he said the
> basically confiscate the equipment and catch, impose a fine and the gear
can
> be picked up from them when a valid permit/license is produce. They will
> check cars, even go right through all places to hide things like wheel
> arches, spare tyre bay, jack housing, seat pockets, everywhere. They have
> no hesitation to contact authorities.
>
> I have seen them early in the evening, during the day, and also have had
> people confirm they rocked up as late as 2am in the morning for the
> unsuspecting fishermen.
>
> I know my $25 is doing it's job here in VIC. now all we need to do is
get
> the bloody cyclists to get a damn registration for using the roads my car
> rego paid for....

I agree with the fishing comments Chris and I hate to sound like a broken
record but 99.9% of cyclists aged over 16 also own a car (and pay
registration and all the other taxes too) so forget about that arguement.