PDA

View Full Version : Redfin

Pete
April 17th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

Just came back from an afternoon fishing with my seven year old daughter,
what a day!

We were at a dam about 100 metres long by 40 metres wide, next to a park,
with lots of ducks floating around nice gum trees and a very busy main road
just nearby, at Mt Barker in the Adelaide Hills.

We started using unweighted garden worms on size 8 hooks, about a foot under
a pencil float (too much weed here to fish on the bottom) and by the time I
had my line set up and baited, my daughter had pulled in her first Redfin,
about 9 inches long. The action continued like this for the next two hours.
I changed to a red and white spinner with a treble hook, and was treated to
a hookup on the first cast - a young Redfin.

In between resetting my daughter's line and helping her cast out again, I
managed another couple of small Redfin on the spinner, as well as good bites
when I didn't actually land anything.

We stopped when it started getting dark and cold, but had a great time,
taking a total of 16 Redfin out of the dam, the biggest about 12 inches
long. It was a great introduction to fishing for my daughter, after a number
of unsuccessful trips to jetties, and (pardon the pun) I think she's hooked.

Cheers,
Pete

Adam Seidel
April 20th, 2004, 12:54 PM
"Pete" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Just came back from an afternoon fishing with my seven year old daughter,
> what a day!
>
> We were at a dam about 100 metres long by 40 metres wide, next to a park,
> with lots of ducks floating around nice gum trees and a very busy main
road
> just nearby, at Mt Barker in the Adelaide Hills.
>
> We started using unweighted garden worms on size 8 hooks, about a foot
under
> a pencil float (too much weed here to fish on the bottom) and by the time
> had my line set up and baited, my daughter had pulled in her first Redfin,
> about 9 inches long. The action continued like this for the next two
hours.
> I changed to a red and white spinner with a treble hook, and was treated
> a hookup on the first cast - a young Redfin.
>
> In between resetting my daughter's line and helping her cast out again, I
> managed another couple of small Redfin on the spinner, as well as good
bites
> when I didn't actually land anything.
>
> We stopped when it started getting dark and cold, but had a great time,
> taking a total of 16 Redfin out of the dam, the biggest about 12 inches
> long. It was a great introduction to fishing for my daughter, after a
number
> of unsuccessful trips to jetties, and (pardon the pun) I think she's
hooked.

> Cheers,
> Pete

You know that redfin are an introduced species and cannot be returned to the
water?

Pete
April 21st, 2004, 04:24 AM
"Adam Seidel" > wrote in message

> You know that redfin are an introduced species and cannot be returned to
the
> water?

Yep. Took 'em home for cat food.

My cat is also an introduced species, and doesn't like it if I try to return
it to the water.

Cheers,
Pete

Badlands
April 21st, 2004, 11:53 AM
"Pete" > wrote in message

> "Adam Seidel" > wrote in message
>

> > You know that redfin are an introduced species and cannot be returned to
> the
> > water?
>

> Yep. Took 'em home for cat food.
>
> My cat is also an introduced species, and doesn't like it if I try to
return
> it to the water.
>

> Cheers,
> Pete

Great story mate,

Don't worry about the party poopers .. we are all introduced species!